Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

Close to Home Notes/Idea

How about, in addition to the 100 points spend on recruiting each week, there is a separate 20 points (or so) available that can only be used on Croots that are within the Close to Home range for a Coach's school?
This would simulate the ease of local recruiting, and allow for more 'turf-protection' if desired by a Coach.

There would still be the same max points per player per week, but if the Croot is near the School, that 20 points could be used in addition to the 100 overall points. Another column on the Interface for Local Points, then a Total points column that adds that new value and the local points amount. Same mods to all....

A few irregularities as i was reviewing the 2025 class and Close to Home info:
KSST is listed as getting close to home affinity for PA recruits (?)

Of the 208 Croots with a recruiting bias for wants to play in a different state, 42 have Close to Home as Affinity 1 and 6 have Close to Home as Affinity 2

Of the 236 Croots that have a recruiting bias for wants to play close to home, only 73 have Close to Home as either Affinity

I understand these are different things, but it seems odd to see these.

Edited by LordLittlebutt
  • Like 3

I like this. I'm a little hesitant because any addition of points, whether it be the base number or as a bonus like here would introduce a little bit of power creep. I think this could benefit schools that are in highly populated croot areas though.

The other thing that we could look into is reworking the affinities with recruits in a way that makes recruit preferences dynamic. As in, a recruit will get a higher bonus on their Close to Home affinity than their Frontrunner affinity.

I don't like this because I already think the Close to Home affinity is more than enough on its own. If the interface is fully complete rn in terms of 2025 class, the state of Colorado has 1 recruit in it (and he doesnt look good, and doesnt have Close to Home), while there are 3 FBS schools. At least with Close to Home being just an affinity, we could see a Colorado or Air Force or Colorado State land some blue chipper from out of state, maybe they're from Texas with Close to Home, but Air Force goes hard and lands them over the Texas schools - maybe West Virginia or LSU swipes a Georgia close to home guy, or Florida State sneaks into Tennessee and takes a Tennessee close to home guy. With it being "open", there's the fun and storylines (and shit talk between those guys because you know Kirby wouldnt let Sweezy live that down, or Smackemz/Jumbo flexing on Sarge, etc). If you close them off entirely or create an own separate points pool, there's no point in staying at a Colorado team and you might as well go to FIU or FAU or "largely populated directional school" because at least then you can sign a pretty class.

I think recruiting is already hard enough as it is, I'm already not looking forward to RES coming back, I at least want to be able to sign some out of state croots out of nowhere 😅 some of my favorite recruits so far have come from sneaking into NC or IN or AL. But I also want the other schools out in no mans land to be able to sign a class they're content with as well. West Virginia building up as sort of a zero to hero has been fun, seeing ape come in and make NIU at least somewhat competitive has been fun. Alex has Nebraska always looking like a potential power. If we're just gonna be like "okay Florida schools/Texas schools/etc, here's some relatively exclusive points" then why would anyone want to coach at these other schools where there aren't a ton of local recruits/good recruits/etc?

11 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I don't like this because none of the Indiana blue chips (9) have close to home lol

The close to home affinity would have nothing to do with the ability to use these points, all recruits that in a team's close to home range would be available to spend points on.  Those points would go further if there was a close to home affinity of course.

One way to do this from a more mathematical perspective and still keep the affinity would be to create a cost for recruiting players farther away from your school, thus allowing a school to be more efficient with their points just due to geography and get a bump with the affinity.  RL thought process is that traveling from Boston to LA to recruit a player- whether assistant coach or head coach - is more expensive (flights, food, lodging, time, etc) than recruiting closer to home. The affinity would ne a bias towards or away from a type of school. 

Thoughts?