Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2025] Meet the Croots: CB Joseph McIntyre from Baker, FL

It’s a hot night in Bratt, and the Northview Chiefs are getting nowhere against the Baker Gators. Every running play slams into a seven- or eight-man front; every nearside pass is into double coverage. With the team staring down a touchdown deficit and time running out, they must take a chance.

Two receivers fan out to the short side of the field, while a third moves out wide in the other direction, alone but for a solitary defender across from him wearing #12. At the snap he darts forward, cuts outside, then breaks back in – a double move. But the defender doesn’t take the bait; reading the route perfectly he races to the middle of the field, outpacing the receiver and gaining leverage. The long pass drops into the defender’s waiting hands, and he skids to the ground as the receiver topples over him.

The visiting sideline erupts in cheers, as do the maroon-and-white clad fans on the bleachers behind. Players race out in congratulations, but #21 remains on one knee, a fist dropped into the grass. Under the helmet, his lips move in a silent prayer. At last he rises, pointing a finger to the sky in gratitude, the ball still tucked in his right elbow.

Faith, Family, and Football

Joseph McIntyre is a busy young man. There’s school, of course, and football practices – that would be enough responsibility for most teenagers. But then add in Mass three times a week (minimum) and voluntary community outreach projects. And as the second-oldest of seven children, he’s expected to help out around the house as well. And those family obligations have only increased now that Joseph has his driver’s license - not many teenagers know their way around a 15-passenger van.

But there’s always time to catch a football game with the family. On Saturdays, the McIntyre residence features a rotating cast of siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, and friends of friends. All are welcome, but you may want to bring your own chair (or a side dish if you want a coveted spot on the “good couch”)! On the mantle, in place of pride under a portrait of the Good Lord himself, is a jar full of large misshapen rocks.

“It’s a metaphor,” family patriarch ‘Papa’ Daniel explains. “If you take care of the big stuff first, there will always be enough room for everything else. In this house, we’re about faith and family – God takes care of us, and we take care of each other.” The assembled group roars in delight at the game on the television, and Daniel smiles. “Well…faith, family, and football!”

Taking the Field

Joseph (who is named after a Biblical figure, just not that one) doesn’t swear, doesn’t drink, doesn’t chew, and “doesn’t go with girls who do”. But on the football field, he’s as innocent as a viper. At 6’0” tall and weighing 187 pounds, he doesn’t shy away from physical contact. He has a nose for the football and isn’t afraid to play aggressively, cutting off routes and anticipating throws – a true Ball Hawk. College scouts note his impressive closing speed, ability to read the quarterback, and excellent use of hands. Including the 4 interceptions he’s already nabbed so far this year gives him 22 for his high school career, so he could hold the Florida state record by the time he graduates. And that’s after every offensive coach in the region has learned to stop throwing his way.

“It’s a huge boon for our defense,” high school coach Andy Cooper notes. “We can play the numbers game everywhere else - stack the box, overload one side – because we know that Joseph will take care of business. Line him up against their best receiver and the ball won’t even be thrown that way. And if it is, well, you’ve seen what he can do.”

A Leap of Faith

Joseph’s next step is a big one. Soon the offers will come pouring in, and the 5* recruit will have a decision to make. Notre Dame? Florida State? Miami? The possibilities are endless.

“Obviously I want to attend a school that matches my values,” he said in a local TV interview, “and there are a few that have great football programs too. But I don’t know how I feel about traveling so far from my family and the amazing support network I have here in Florida. So it might be a tough choice for me. I’m sure there will be some family discussions, a few school visits, and a lot of prayer. But I have faith that I’ll end up in the right place for me.”

Joseph’s star is rising, so whichever school ends up with this young man’s commitment should consider itself #blessed.

• Like 3