Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

#134 | SimFBA | Transfer Portal Follow Up (Cuts and more info)

TuscanSota

Hi everyone,

This dev diary is more intended to be a refresher and as a go-to resource for the Transfer Portal moving forward for 2025 and beyond. I highly recommend reading the following links before continuing as they detail a high overview of the Transfer Portal.

With that said, we will now go over adjustments made to the Transfer Portal structure:

Transfer Intention Timeline

The biggest change requested was to move the transfer intention check after the progressions algorithm. This adjustment has been made and the algorithm has been adjusted to reflect the change. With that said, here are some things to expect from the Transfer Intention phase:

• There is a very rare chance that a true freshman will declare their intention for the portal. It's not impossible, but we've seen players make these kind of decisions
  • There is a rare chance that a redshirt freshman will declare their intention for the transfer portal
  • Sophomores and redshirt sophomores, snap requirements and star rating aside, will be uncommon declaring their intention for the transfer portal
  • Juniors, redshirt juniors, seniors, and redshirt seniors are very likely to announce their intention for the transfer portal.
  • FCS players that are highly rated will be very likely to enter the transfer portal

What happens when a player declares their intention for the portal? How will I know?

On the CFB Roster page, you will see a shield button in the Actions column. If the color is green, the player is happy where they are. If the color is red, the player has declared their intent to enter the transfer portal. Clicking the shield will pop open the Promises UI.

What happens if I make a promise to a player? Do they instantly stay?

Making a promise to a player gives you the chance to retain the player. The player must make the decision on whether they will accept your promise or choose to enter the portal. If the player accepts your promise, the player is retained and does not enter the portal. HOWEVER, it is up to you as a coach for the next season to ensure that the promise is fulfilled.

Does what I promise matter?

Yes. Some players will have a low intention of entering the portal, medium intention, or high intention of entering the portal. Submitting a promise that matches or exceeds their level of intention will give you a greater chance at retaining the player.

What happens if I don't fulfill a promise?

If a player's promise is not fulfilled by the end of the season, they will enter the portal next season regardless, and your Portal Reputation will take a hit.

What if I make a promise to a senior or redshirt senior and don't fulfill the promise?

Great question. The player will graduate with their promise unfulfilled. In addition to this, you as a coach will see a 50% increase in their original penalty towards your Portal Reputation.

What happens to my promise if a player doesn't accept my promise and stay on my team?

The promise will not be logged or held against you. It will cease to exist. The Interface will remove your promise. It is deleted.

Can AI teams submit promises to players intending to transfer from their team?

Yes! AI teams can; however, their behavior towards submitting promises all depends on the type of AI coach in their program. Some programs will be more likely to let players enter the portal; some are more focused on retaining the player.

As for the level of promises the AI teams will submit, a majority of them will be dependent on the intending player's recruiting bias.

When will the Transfer Portal open?

I am aiming on opening the Transfer Portal on September 18th, 2024. This gives everyone six days to submit promises to retain their players.

What happens if a player doesn't sign to a new team in the transfer portal?

They will return to their original team, no change or promise commited.

Can we cut players?

Users will be able to cut players. Here are the rules for cutting players from your roster:

• Players can only be cut while the transfer portal is running
  • To prevent the cut feature from being abused, users will see their portal reputation decrease whenever a player is cut based on the star rating of the player.
    • The formula for this cut is: Portal Reputation = Portal Reputation - (1 * star rating of the player)
    • This means that cutting walk-on players will not impact your reputation. Cutting 1 star and 2-star players will incur a minor hit; cutting 3-star players and higher will see a larger penalty.

I hope that this dev diary provides some additional context for the transfer portal. As this is submitted, the intention algorithm is now running.

Thanks,

Tuscan

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

CROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS

Edited by Tryggr
  • Like 1

If we don't promise anything to a declaring player does that guarantee they leave?  It's still a dice roll based on original likelihood?

1 hour ago, Jieret said:

If we don't promise anything to a declaring player does that guarantee they leave?  It's still a dice roll based on original likelihood?

If nothing is promised, they will leave.

• Thanks 1

A question about how this relates to recruiting:

this past season, the number of recruiting scholarships available was just how many projected departures from the program their would be. So if you had 103 rostered players and 24 seniors, you got 24 scholarships.

does this mean letting seniors transfer will lower your scholarship allotment?

scenario: school has 102 rostered and 19 seniors. 3 seniors transfer out and 10 sophomores do. They go into the new season with 89 rostered and 16 seniors. Will they only get 16 scholarships for the recruiting cycle? Or some other number?

Cutting walkons refers only to 2024 walkons? Not walkons from earlier years?

Players that leave for the portal should be able to be cut with no penalty or a reduced penalty. If reputation is only being tracked as a whole number than maybe the first 5 or 8 or ? of declared portal entrants can be cut without penalty.

1 hour ago, LordLittlebutt said:

Cutting walkons refers only to 2024 walkons? Not walkons from earlier years?

Players that leave for the portal should be able to be cut with no penalty or a reduced penalty. If reputation is only being tracked as a whole number than maybe the first 5 or 8 or ? of declared portal entrants can be cut without penalty.

2023 walk-ons should also be able to be cut since they were 0 stars also. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 5:30 AM, LordLittlebutt said:

But if no other team takes them, they come back - correct?

This is correct, if there is an open spot on your team. This is the IRL counterpart to a player leaving the portal because they ended up not transferring or not signing with another team.

On 9/14/2024 at 9:39 AM, TuscanSota said:

This is correct, if there is an open spot on your team. This is the IRL counterpart to a player leaving the portal because they ended up not transferring or not signing with another team.

Let me pitch a generic scenario.

Team Awesome was at max roster size, then lost 20 players to the portal. They go nuts, sign 15. But the players that left weren't targeted by anyone but AI, so 15 "come back".

Does the portal "AI" pick the 5 who are returned to the roster? Probably by overall? I'm trying to plan my strategy as someone who would happily replace every player who left his roster.

A couple of things here... I went to cut my walk-ons and they are listed as 1 stars. I went to cut them and they gave error messages and still decreased my portal reputation. Cutting a 1 star walk-on (or 1 star in general) should not decrease your portal reputation. The formula should be (Star value - 1)

20 hours ago, Rome said:

Let me pitch a generic scenario.

Team Awesome was at max roster size, then lost 20 players to the portal. They go nuts, sign 15. But the players that left weren't targeted by anyone but AI, so 15 "come back".

Does the portal "AI" pick the 5 who are returned to the roster? Probably by overall? I'm trying to plan my strategy as someone who would happily replace every player who left his roster.

It does not "pick" the five who are returned to the roster. I haven't designed it that deep yet.

On 9/14/2024 at 8:39 AM, TuscanSota said:

Open Spot?