Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2024] Transfer Talk: Ep. 3 - The University of Southern California

This article was originally published on plus.espn.com - featured audio has been transcribed for the reader's ease.

We've got a little something different for you today, football fans, with a little less "transfer" and a little more "talk" on the docket.  Earlier this month, Coach @npklemm travelled to Los Angeles and Minnesota to follow the Julian Longacre and the University of Southern California football team on their journey following the abrupt departure of Coach @Dhawk18 a mere two weeks into the Trojans' campaign to defend their National Championship.  His findings were published in Longacre: A Profile.  What he'd found was a team was a team plagued by conflict, a team lacking both direction and leadership, a team with an uncertain future: in other words, a team ripe for a transfer exodus come season's end.

Something is rotten in the State of Denmark.

"2023 was a dream season for the Trojans of USC.  They won the National Championship in a close one.  They had a couple trophy winners [...] [Julian] Longacre finished a close second in the Heisman.  They were on top of the world, Longacre was back and so was the coach who led them to this success, @Dhawk18.  All they needed to do was run it back and compete again.  [Six] weeks into the 2024 Season, USC is 2-2 and @Dhawk18 is no longer at the helm.

So, what's happened?"

Forward, Longacre: A Profile - @npklemm

2023 USC Football Season (14-2; 9-1)
Season Week Opponent (Record Entering Game) Final Score (Result) USC Record
1 vs. Kentucky (0-0) 44-20 (W) 1-0
2 at. Boston College (0-0) 9-28 (W) 2-0
4 vs. Stanford (1-1) 24-17 (W) 3-0; 1-0
5 at. Notre Dame (4-0) 37-26 (L) 3-1; 1-0
6 vs. Oregon (2-2; 1-1) 29-17 (W) 4-1; 2-0
7 vs. Utah (2-3; 1-2) 39-17 (W) 5-1; 3-0
8 vs. California (4-3; 2-2) 31-10 (W) 6-1; 4-0
9 at. Colorado (7-1; 4-1) 35-23 (L) 6-2; 4-1
10 vs. Washington (3-5; 2-3) 13-0 (W) 7-2; 5-1
11 at. Arizona State (2-7; 2-4) 10-58 (W) 8-2; 6-1
12 vs. Arizona (3-7; 2-5) 76-41 (W) 9-2; 7-1
14 at. UCLA (10-1; 8-0) 55-59 (W) 10-2; 8-1
15 (PAC-12 Championship) vs. UCLA (10-2; 8-1) 52-30 (W) 11-2; 9-1
17 (Peach Bowl; CFP Quarterfinal vs. Houston (11-3; 8-2) 42-40 (W) 12-2; 9-1
18 (Sugar Bowl; CFP Semi-Final) vs. UCLA (12-3; 8-2) 48-24 (W) 13-2; 9-1
19 (CFP National Championship Game) vs. TCU (14-1; 9-1) 44-43 (W) 14-2; 9-1

2024 USC Football Season (5-3; 4-2)
Season Week Opponent (Record Entering Game Final Score (Result) USC Record
1 at. UNLV (0-0) 45-24 (L) 0-1
2 vs. LSU (1-0) 20-16 (W) 1-1
4 at. Michigan (1-2) 9-35 (W) 2-1; 1-0
5 vs. Wisconsin (2-1) 6-33 (L) 2-2; 1-1
6 at. Minnesota (2-3; 0-2) 53-0 (L) 2-3; 1-2
7 vs. Penn State (3-2; 2-0) 24-11 (W) 3-3; 2-2
8 at. Maryland (3-3; 2-1) 22-44 (W) 4-3; 3-2
9 (Present at Writing) vs. Rutgers (3-4; 1-3) 27-9 (W) 5-3; 4-2
10 at. Washington TBD TBD
12 vs. Nebraska TBD TBD
13 at. UCLA TBD TBD
14 vs. Notre Dame TBD TBD

Since their embarrassing 53-0 defeat to Minnesota, which brought USC to a record of 2-3 with a Big Ten record of 1-2, the Trojans have rebounded with three-straight conference wins to bring themselves above the .500 mark in their overall and conference records.  That said, when comparing Southern California's ongoing 2024 campaign to their 2023 National Championship campaign, there is no other word to describe it than disappointing.  By Week 5, the 2024 Trojans had already matched their 2023 overall and conference loss totals; by Week 6, the 2024 Trojans had surpassed both sets of 2023 loss tallies with seven weeks to play.  Let there be no mistake, what the 2024 Trojans have done since Week 6 has been nothing short of picture-perfect in terms of a response to their critics: three crucial conference matchups, three wins.  What's going on at USC?  Which USC is indicative of the future; the 2023 Trojans or the 2024 Trojans?  Let's find out.

"If you would've told me out of the Big 4 QBs that Julian Longacre wouldn't have a single [Player of the Week] halfway through the season I'd have called you a liar."

-@SageBow

There has, understandably, been a focus on Julian Longacre in attempts to explain where USC's 2024 Season has gone wrong.  There are some who argue that making such an assessment - that USC's season has gone wrong - is a premature conclusion.  I would argue a middle-of-the-road analysis: USC's season has gone wrong, but there is still time for them to salvage it.  Them.  In what is poised to be a fight to the final week, I believe we ought to shift our focus; that is, away from Julian Longacre and towards the entirety of the USC football program.  If USC are to complete their "redemption arc," so to speak, and compete for the Big Ten championship, it is going to require all-hands on deck.  We, the media, have explored Julian Longacre and his mental fortitude before - I have no doubts that a national champion can perform under pressure.  But what about his brothers-in-arms?  What is the mindset of the USC players and their coaches?  With a tough, uncertain road ahead for the Trojans, both to close-out the season and in anticipation of the off-season transfer portal, the most important question(s) to be answered are those of the entire team.

"I just want to make sure the record is straight [...] No one cares.  We got out 'Chip, and now no one wants to work."

Wednesday, Longacre: A Profile - Phillip Adams

Of those featured in Coach @npklemm's Longacre, there were a total of seven individuals - five players and two coaches - who are slated to return to the University of California next season.  That is to say, they have a vested interest in how the 2024 USC Football Season ends, as it could impact the upcoming season, and possible, where they are playing/coaching.  I asked each player and coach the same set of four questions, with slight modifications, to gain insight into their individual and collective thoughts and mentality on the remainder of the 2024 season and potentially beyond.  These questions, and their responses, are detailed below in the order that they'd featured in Longacre:

Tyler Huber, Wide Receiver, Redshirt Sophomore

Q: You were featured within Longacre: A Profile in-part due to your practice bust-up(s) with Humberto Sanchez and David Avalos, what do you think is the cause of these practice conflicts?  How does that impact the direction of USC Football?
A: "Man, that was so overblown. That shit always happens, it's minor. I don't think it has much impact on us man - me getting into it with someone in practice on [Monday and] Wednesday doesn't impact what we do on Saturday. That's nonsense."

Q: What are your thoughts about certain players, particularly those instigators of conflict within the team, entering the transfer portal at the end of the season?
A: "I love my teammates, I'm just a competitive person. Sometimes I go a little too hard in practice, something I need to control better."

Q: Would you consider entering the transfer portal at the end of the season if the course of the USC Football Team remains charted as it is?
A: "No, I love USC, this is where I belong. One down year shouldn't have that big of an impact on the rest of your career."

Q: Who would be your choice, to be the next USC Head Coach going into next season?  Why?
A: "I don't know that I have a specific person in mind, I'm just worried about getting better and doing everything I can to improve my game."

Humberto Sanchez, Cornerback, Sophomore

Q: You were featured within Longacre: A Profile in-part due to your practice bust-up(s) with Tyler Huber, what do you think is the cause of these practice conflicts?  How does that impact the direction of USC Football?
A: "I don't know that what we did was out of the normal for most teams to be honest. Those things happen sometimes, it's our competitive nature. I think Tyler might feel the same way, but that reporter was out to antagonize and belittle us."

Q: What are your thoughts about certain players, particularly those instigators of conflict within the team, entering the transfer portal at the end of the season?
A: "I've got all my guy's backs, and they know it."

Q: Would you consider entering the transfer portal at the end of the season if the course of the USC Football Team remains charted as it is?
A: "I don't think I'd leave USC, but if I were at a G5 school and we had the season we're having now, I'd probably at least think about it."

Q: Who would be your choice, to be the next USC Head Coach going into next season?  Why?
A: "I don't have a specific person, but we'd want someone with a proven track record. Someone who could come in and instantly take over. We need that to be honest."

David Avalos, Strong Safety, Sophomore

Q: You were featured within Longacre: A Profile in-part due to your practice bust-up(s) with Tyler Huber, what do you think is the cause of these practice conflicts?  How does that impact the direction of USC Football?
A: "What causes the fights? It's us young guys not keeping our cool. What I did that day was stupid and unnecessary. These are my teammates and I should have their back, not fight against them. I don't think what happened that week impacts the direction of the program if we get the right guy in place."

A: "No comment."

A: "To be real, yeah. It's not because of where the program is. But I want to be on the field, and I'm not seeing it right now."

A: "Whoever puts me on the field."

Wilfredo Silva, Quarterback, Sophomore

Q: You were briefly-featured within Longacre: A Profile as a straight-talking, level-headed presence on an otherwise turbulent USC team - other than those thoughts on the coaching, or lack thereof, as shared previously, do you have any additional thoughts on the current direction of Trojan football?
A: "Well, we were in a clear downward trend then, we've rebounded a little bit. I think that week really shook us to our core and made us look at ourselves in the mirror and come to terms with what we saw. I'm very positive about where we are now, those shenanigans aren't going on anymore."

A: "Look, each guy needs to do what they think is best for them. I wish everyone the best, no matter what decision they make. But, I think USC has a lot to offer, especially when we find a new coach."

A: "No, I'm here. I don't think I'd rather be anywhere else. For me, it's not just the football program keeping me here, but the school and community that surrounds it."

A: "I'd like someone who can bring creativity back to us. We've lost that a little bit this year, and we've struggled partially because of that."

Anthony Jones, Jr., Running Backs Coach

Q: You were featured within Longacre: A Profile picking up the slack due to the unexpected departure of your head coach - what are your thoughts on the direction of the USC Football Team?  How do you, as a coach, intend to make an impact?
A: "We're definitely off track from where we thought we'd be. Coach had to leave the program due to reasons outside his control. So, that definitely shook us up and it's taken us a while to get the wheels back on the bus. As a Coach, I have to continue to be a source of strength and consistency. I have to hold everyone equally accountable for us to get through this season successfully."

Q: What are your thoughts on players transferring, particularly those who were part of the National Championship team?
A: "I want players to stay obviously, but they get a certain freedom that I wish I had when I was their age. I don't think it will be long before we're back on top, so I'd encourage those guys pursuing other opportunities to re-evaluate their decision."

Q: Do you have any interest in leaving USC to pursue a head coaching position elsewhere?  If so, are there any appealing options?
A: "I'm still a bit early into my coaching career, so I don't think I'm ready to be the head honcho yet. I love the coaching staff that's remained, and I think we have bright future together here."

Q: Who would be your choice, yourself included, to be the next USC Head Coach going into next season?  Why?
A: "I don't think I can name a single person to be honest, not sure that'd be fair. But, I'd like someone who's energetic and creative. I wouldn't mind someone on the younger end of a the age scale."

Josh Henson, Offensive Coordinator

Q: You were featured within Longacre: A Profile picking up the slack due to the unexpected departure of your head coach - what are your thoughts on the direction of the USC Football Team?  How do you, as a coach, intend to make an impact?
A: "We're heading the right direction, we had a couple hiccups earlier this year, but that's behind us. I just need to be myself and continue to lead the offense."

Q: What are your thoughts on players transferring, particularly those who were part of the National Championship team?
A: "This age of the transfer portal is bad for football and bad for the kids too. They're too impulsive to be given that much honestly."

Q: Do you have any interest in leaving USC to pursue a head coaching position elsewhere?  If so, are there any appealing options?
A: "No, I want to be at USC. I've won a National Championship here, and I want to bring more here."

Q: Who would be your choice, yourself included, to be the next USC Head Coach going into next season?  Why?
A: "It should be me. I have the experience, I know the program, I know the recruiting grounds. I can continue to keep USC at the top of the College Football World."

Phillip Adams, Wide Receiver, Redshirt Junior

Q: You featured prominently within Longacre: A Profile as an eager competitor and a loyal friend - what are your thoughts of the competitiveness of the USC Football Team entering next season, particularly if the aura surrounding the team remains the same?
A: "We'll finish 8-4 if we keep this up. I'm not interested in that man, this is a program that's better than that. But, if we don't get it together, we'll be a middle of the pack Big 10 Team."

Q: What are your thoughts on players transferring, particularly those who were recruited to USC as a result of your National Championship?
A: "Cowards. It's easy to run when it gets hard, none of them were transferring when Jules was leading us to a Chip."

Q: With your friends and roommates, Julian [Longacre] and Wilton [Pankey], graduating would you consider entering the transfer portal for your final year of collegiate eligibility to compete for a second National Championship?
A: "Hell No, you're going to have to drag me out of here. I'm a Trojan for life."

A: "@Jambo I know we beat his team earlier this year, but the man knows California and know how to coach. He'd take us in the right direction."

Well, football fans, I know you've gotten used to my various transfer portal analyses, but this is where I'm going to leave you today: to take a look, evaluate, and form your own opinion about the direction of USC football - both to close-out this season and beyond - from the players and the coaches who know the program the best, themselves.  Should there be any transfer portal declarants from USC within the coming weeks or at season's end - there are bound to be some - you'd best be sure that we'll talk about it here in some capacity.  Until then, the best I can do is wish the future USC "coaching transfer," whoever that may be, well on their journey to bring USC back to the pinnacle of the sport.  From what I've learned from the players and coaches I've spoken to, you've got one hell of a group behind you.

Until next time, football fans!  What'd you think of the new format?  Should we entertain more speculative transfer action, like loosely-featuring an entire team, again?  Should we bin it entirely and focus on what we here at Transfer Talk do best?  Think you could do a better job as Head Coach of USC than Phillip Adams' pick of @Jambo? Let us know!

(A monumental thank you to @npklemm for reprising his many roles and adding a personality to each of the USC interviewees!)

Edited by dearden
Fixing formatting goofs :|
  • Like 6