Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

Formation Specific Depth Charts

Now that we have formations that align with our offensive and defensive schemes - it would be awesome if we could also institute depth charts for those formations.  I would envision, similar to the default settings for offense and defensive schemes, that it would be a setting that the user could turn off and on if they wish.  

I play the 2-Gap defense and the LOLB does different things in the 3-4 Bronco vs. the Okie, and the Eagle.  I'd love to be able to have a different LB play that LOLB position based on which formation I'm choosing.  

• Like 4

I can think of all kinds of ways this would be super useful:

Linebackers - swapping in Run Stoppers or Pass Rushers when stacking the LOS, and Coverage guys for Nickel and Dime packages.

Strong safeties - some formations play them at the second level, so you could swap in a Run Stopper or even a Coverage ILB

Tight ends - play your athletic TEs at WR in otherwise all-WR looks, for teams whose TE1 is better than their WR4

...etc

• Love 1

I do like this idea. I think the biggest hurdle would be designing the system under the hood to handle it. Right now it is just a list at each position. It would require an entire rework of things like stamina and injuries too. There has to be a way, though.

I love it. In a similar vein, think it might be a good idea to have some sort of "auto" setting to do depth charts. Probably, a different discussion honestly, but I think very useful to bundle with this feature that @smackemz is suggesting.

• 5 months later...

i would love to be able to have a formation (example only: I formation) and have a play that is 100% run so I can play a rookie/frosh QB who only turns around and hands the ball off and young WR or WR with really good blocking attributes on the edge; then have the exact same formation the next play but it is my "passing" personnel and 100% pass. Defense would see I formation and not know (like in RL) what play is coming next

2 hours ago, kwheele said:

i would love to be able to have a formation (example only: I formation) and have a play that is 100% run so I can play a rookie/frosh QB who only turns around and hands the ball off and young WR or WR with really good blocking attributes on the edge; then have the exact same formation the next play but it is my "passing" personnel and 100% pass. Defense would see I formation and not know (like in RL) what play is coming next

Wouldn't they know by the passing personnel coming on the field?

My comment was more focused on the "Defense would see I formation and not know (like in RL) what play is coming next", I think IRL the defense would switch out to match the offensive personnel, not an automatic advantage for the offense.  To deal with identifying that when you game plan, I expect you'd counter making the offensive gameplan option with making a defense gameplan option available.