Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2024] Recruiting Class Grades Batch 10

By now you know the drill. Leave some engagement so I'm motivated to do more and get to your team sooner

@kgreene829 and @Migi

Tulane University

American Athletic Conference

2023: 7-6 (3-5)

Recruiting Class Basics:

TLNE signed 1 5-stars, 4 4-stars, 14 3-stars. They signed 14 players with B or better potentials and 4 B overalls. Rankings below:

ESPN: 119th
Rivals: 18th
247: 34th

Composite: 35th

Signees below:

School Name Stars Ovr Pot Pos Archetype City State
TLNE Derek Scott 3 C C+ CB Zone Coverage Conyers GA
TLNE Frank Tidwell 0 D F CB Man Coverage Baton Rouge LA
TLNE Thomas Garfield 3 C B DE Speed Rusher Pensacola FL
TLNE Leon Mose 0 D A- DE Balanced Houston TX
TLNE Forest Rutledge 4 B- B+ DT Nose Tackle Birmingham AL
TLNE Joseph Gillette 4 C+ B+ FB Blocking Buda TX
TLNE Don Liu 3 C B- FS Ball Hawk Valencia CA
TLNE Jozef Smith 3 C B FS Run Stopper Bradenton FL
TLNE Richard Andros 0 D A+ ILB Coverage Pelahatchie MS
TLNE Michael Alvarado 3 C C+ K Balanced Los Alamitos CA
TLNE Hugh Crawford 3 C B+ OG Pass Blocking St. Augustine FL
TLNE Byung Tengan 3 C A- OLB Speed Santa Fe Springs CA
TLNE Ronald Bracken 3 C B OLB Pass Rush Savannah GA
TLNE Brian Kindred 4 B- A- OT Pass Blocking Monticello FL
TLNE Joseph Berman 0 C- A+ OT Pass Blocking Waco TX
TLNE Richard Biggins 3 C- B- P Power Arcadia CA
TLNE Joseph White 3 C B- QB Scrambler Palm Beach Gardens FL
TLNE Quy Wilbur 3 C C+ QB Balanced Rancho Cucamonga CA
TLNE Frank Jolliffe 5 B B- RB Speed Layton UT
TLNE Marion Mcfadden 3 C B- RB Receiving Ruston LA
TLNE Mark Davis 3 C- C+ RB Speed Windermere FL
TLNE Ricardo Santiago 3 C B- SS Zone Coverage San Juan Capistrano CA
TLNE William Zeider 4 B- A WR Speed Lakeland FL
TLNE Nguyen Lee 0 D B WR Red Zone Threat Mesquite TX
TLNE Isaac Shorter 0 D A- WR Possession Pflugerville TX

Below is a breakdown position-by-position of (from L-R) their current roster, what they did on the trail, and the grade I gave them in recruiting that position.

Position Current position grade Current status Number signed Recruiting status Croot Grade
C B+ Gwacham is a true testiment to development. A true A overall he started as just a 3-star with B+ potential and the staff managed to turn him into a likely solid draft pick. Behind him Hentges is a good back up as a current B overall (Jr). Unfortunately nobody is behind them 0 sooo Tulane has never signed a center in any of their 3 cycles. That's pretty wild to realize. Anyways next year they'll only have Hentges left and will either need to actually sign *someone* here or suffer the OOP penalty from kicking over an OG/OT. D+
CB A- It hurts that the best player Blanco is a man coverage in a zone scheme, but he leaves after this year. Sinkfield/Riser/Levine are a trio of Soph eligible blue chips who are all solid B/B+ overalls who are about to become very, very good. They also have (So) Sampson as an A+ potential 3 star B overall so damn they've god a squad cooking. Also Riser and Levine should've signed with Tennessee :sadparty: 2 Like I said, they had a shit ton of talent in the previous classes so not a high priority. Derek Scott is like the definition of an average 3-star and they took a garbage walkon, but they weren't really going to get any playing time anyways C
DE B A good mix of archetypes here and at the top are a couple soild upperclassmen. Jenkins is the best player by far at A- overall speed rushing, and then a B/B- option on the other side in Kalambayi/Bellinger. Last cycle they got blue chip Jacob Owens who is their future run shutdown-er 2 Garfield is a solid B potential 3 star so I like that signee. Mose is another garbage walkon. Good enough, but they'll probably look to grab some kind of blue chip this upcoming cycle C
DT B- This is a younger group than the others. Sale is the oldest by far and a B overall balanced (Jr) is good. Second guy up is Beatty, a 4 star from last cycle who has a fast 40-time, but other than that doesn't have many attributes to support his B overall rating. They also redshirted a NT and pass rusher 3-stars who are high C overalls. This is a group that will definitely grow into good players but just aren't there yet 1 Wow one year after taking Beatty from Alabama they return to take Forest Rutledge, a big Nose tackle body who is already a B-/B- player. I don't think they have the depth to run 3-4 so curious if this marks a scheme shift or if Rutledge was just so good they didn't mind B+
FB B Blah blah blah, they have an A- rushing guy and signed a 2-star rusher last cycle 1 Gillette is heir to an immense razor fortune, but decided to do the dirty work and be a lead blocker. He's pretty good at it though as a blue chip B+ potential guy B+
FS B+ Another position Tulane didn't sign their first 2 seasons. Kyle Are is another super well-developed 3-star but Landry isn't quite as good behind him. They deinitely need to load the pipeline 2 Finally they do. A pair of 3-star C/B players look like duplicates on paper, but dramatically different skills as a ball hawk / run stopper. Tulane can either wait and see who develops better or choose the best scheme pick in the future C+
ILB A Honestly this is a massive strength of the team. I don't know what they'll run scheme-wise this season but they have plenty of options. Holcomb is a punishing run stopper up the middle (another 3 star who became a star!) at A overall and could feature as an all-conference player just about anywhere... except maybe his own team. Kevin Robles was the first big fish the staff wanted to showcase their initial class and damn he's good. A 5-star is always good but the (So) Field general is an A- overall now and should be a #1 option just about anywhere... except on his own team as he's a notch below Holcomb. Very curious how the coaches sort this one out here. 1 Robles is the only returning player so it's... concerning they didn't sign anybody and just took a walk on. I assume they want to at least have a 2nd ILB on the roster so look for them to sign 1 or 2 this year D+
K C- At least he's got a C in accuracy? Mcdonald is the only kicker on the roster as a 3-star C/C+ from last cycle. He's not that good but should be enough to make chip shots regularly and grow 1 Alvarado is basically the same signee except gives them an actual backup and means they can go another cycle or 2 without a kicker C
OG B How many positions has Tulane not signed a player at? Weird. The 3 guys rostered are solid enough with B+ at the top 2 spots and Hamilton returning as the current best player likely to be an A- next season. Not much in the pipeline though 1 Crawford is a C/B+ 3-star so he's actually a great prospect for one OG slot. The other one is still empty though and next year projects to have only 2 guards rostered C+
OLB B+ I'm... surprised. I was ready to talk about how great the LBs at Tulane are but this is not anywhere near as good as ILB is. Hill is a soild B+ senior on one end but I expected more from Hernandez and Barr. Last cycle Tulane looked like they knocked it out of the park with a 5-star pass rusher and a 4 star run stopper and redshirted them both. Neither looks like they progressed at all but C- isn't horrible potential. Anyways, they've got years and years and will be very scary eventually but interesting how many 3-stars Tulane has turned into good players but these guys don't look great yet 2 After last class Tulane could've stood pat but they picked up a pair of high potential 3 stars who should develop nicely B-
OT A- TEN OTs rostered does seem excessive but what do I know. They certainly have good starters as Schlitter is a blue chip A overall senior and Sampson is a (So) blue chip B+ player on the other side. A bit of a drop down to B/B- players behind them and then a shit ton of 3-star C+ overalls with mostly bad potentials 2 Tulane slowed down a bit only signing one player (and a walk on) but damn Kindred made a lot of last years signees obsolete as he's a 4 star B/A- pass blocker who should take the RT slot next season and hold onto it for the rest of his career. Great signee B+/A-
P D They have a 1-star senior as the only rostered punter. BAD 1 Alright Biggins isn't phenomenal, but he is a 3C/B- guy so the room won't bottom out C+
QB A I will begrudingly say that Tulane has some good QB history. Haloti Thomas was a very good scrambler and is a (Sr) A- who's very fast on his feet but only an average arm. Unfortunately for him, Paul McCullers-Sanders (PMS) arrived and stole his job as a (Fr) last season and was a top-5 / top-3 underclassman cementing the job as his for 3 more years. A (So) pocket passer, he's got some pretty good attributes all around and is in contention to be a likely first round pick after the 2026 season. The rest of the guys are career backups and Thomas is moving to the RB room 2 Signed two more clipboard holders but who cares because PMS is still here. They could sign a future starter now or wait a year, it doesn't matter much rn C
RB B+ Castillo is just an average B+ starter on his own, but you have to take Haloti into account giving them a nice 1-2 punch at the top. The rest of the room actually looks pretty mediocre with Shin-Soo Martinez (3 star A- potential) as a speed back being the likely starter next year which is not that exciting yet 3 Big waves were made when Tulane went all the way up to Utah and signed Jolliffe from local schools Utah / Utah State which had to sting them. Guess Jolliffe is just a party guy and wanted the NOLA experience. Anyways, a 5 star B- potential is a huge, huge pickup but may be blocked from a starting spot year 1 by Castillo and Haloti. I do think he'll be a monster for them in the future though. Very good pickup. They also took a pair of random 3 stars who are tripping if they think they'll get serious carries A/A+
SS B- Milano is a (Jr) B overall ball hawk and they have another B- zone coverage guy in the room. I don't have much to say, they both have high potential and are in the middle of their growing curve so not great but good enough 1
Santiago is another zone guy with good potential. The room overall is fine, even if I don't have much to say about it

TE C Uhhh there are only 2 TEs rostered and both are senior 2-stars. They're both pretty average players on their own and are acceptable but it's dangerous to have no established pipeline. 0 Didn't sign any. No TEs will be in the room next season. Is Tulane planning on running an anti-Kansas offense, moving players to new positions, or just going to sign a shit ton of guys here this cycle? F
WR B+ Another hurtful room to review. Tulane cleaned up last cycle signing 5-star Jeffrey Bouthillier (He should have been mine!) along with 4-star A potential speed demon William Henry. Together with senior Dashaun Knight, PMS actually has some good options to throw to and great targets for the future too 3 Another speed blue chip in William Zeider (B with A potential), Tulane has a fearsome underclassmen trio. I'm not counting the walk-ons though, which does show a thin depth chart behind those 3 B+

Ok this is just a weird roster. Before this cycle Tulane had never signed a C, FS, OG, P, or TE which is... odd right? They still haven't signed a center or TE and somehow have 0 true juniors on the rostered. A little baffling the distribution of players amongst positions. Anyways, for the rooms they have cared about, Tulane has signed and developed pretty well. I don't think they're nearly as good as Tulsa but they seem neck and neck with Navy for second in the AAC at the moment. They've enjoyed a notably high success rate in their high profile recruiting battles but I think they must be losing more mid-level battles or just investing an outsized amount of resources in the top guys as they lack a little bit of the depth I would expect from a team in their position. I'll be curious what they do this cycle to try and (hopefully) even out their roster a little bit

Class Grade: B

University of California-Berkeley

Pacific-12 Conference (RIP)

2023: 7-6 (4-5)

Recruiting Class Basics:

CAL signed 1 5-stars, 5 4-stars, 5 3-stars, 10 2-stars, and 2 1-stars. They signed 14 players with B or better potentials and 2 B overalls. Rankings below:

ESPN: 77th
Rivals: 32nd
247: 39th

Composite: 37th

Signees below:

School Name Stars Ovr Pot Pos Archetype City State
CAL Isaac Cox 3 C+ A CB Man Coverage Cleveland GA
CAL Steve Deblasi 2 C B- CB Man Coverage Slocomb AL
CAL William Wilson 4 C+ C+ DE Run Stopper Durham NC
CAL Glenn Sheets 2 D A DE Speed Rusher Fort Lauderdale FL
CAL James Critcher 2 D B DT Balanced Youngstown OH
CAL Ricardo Blancas 4 B- B FS Man Coverage Cedar Park TX
CAL Keith Williams 3 C A FS Ball Hawk New Orleans LA
CAL Stephen Brown 4 C+ C+ ILB Coverage Cottonwood CA
CAL Mark Dorff 1 D A- ILB Run Stopper Clinton LA
CAL William Arnold 2 D C K Balanced Decaturville TN
CAL Stefan Meister 4 C+ B+ OG Pass Blocking Garden Grove CA
CAL Robert Boomer 3 C C+ OG Balanced Bradenton FL
CAL Horacio Garcia 2 D B OG Pass Blocking Palm Beach Gardens FL
CAL Erwin Whearty 2 D B+ OLB Pass Rush Modesto CA
CAL Edwin Valencia 1 D A OLB Coverage Chula Vista CA
CAL Peter Delossantos 4 C+ C OT Pass Blocking Peoria AZ
CAL Robert Kidder 3 C B- OT Run Blocking Decatur IL
CAL Chris Trent 2 D B OT Pass Blocking Patterson LA
CAL Larry Johnson 0 D D- RB Receiving Peoria AZ
CAL Larry Black 2 D B RB Power Ardsley NY
CAL Justin Edwards 0 D D SS Run Stopper Gilbert AZ
CAL Errol Voit 2 D B TE Blocking Palm Coast FL
CAL Nick Morales 5 B B- WR Possesion San Diego CA
CAL George Uhler 3 C B+ WR Possesion Mesquite TX
CAL Neil Moskowitz 2 C B- WR Possesion Mobile AL

Below is a breakdown position-by-position of (from L-R) their current roster, what they did on the trail, and the grade I gave them in recruiting that position.

Position Current position grade Current status Number signed Recruiting status Croot Grade
C B I gave Derik Null a hard look last cycle, and Cal snagged a good one out of NC. The sophomore B overall isn't great now, but they have no upperclassmen and with starting experiene he will turn into a great player 0 Didn't sign any, I don't mind after 2 good ones last cycle -
CB B+ Rick Guerra is a great senior 4-star ball hawk as an A overall and should blanket any WR1 he's up against. Last year's signee Robert Hanzel is a zone guy who's already a B overall as a (Fr) indicating he has a bright future. There's a few other average guys but notably a mix of man and zone 2 They signed a 3 star A potential and a 2 star, notably both are man coverage. I am on record as saying man corners are easier to recruit, but it is tough when Hanzel is so good as a zone guy. But might as well pick a lane right? C+
DE B The pair of upperclassman 3 star B+ overall run stoppers is going to be really solid for Cal, but they do have a hole as the other two players are last years redshirted signees. Chung Gray is the blue chip who's likely to take a starting job and Spencer actually projects alright too. Depth is the main concern here 2 Will Wilson is another blue chip run stopper and I don't care about Sheets as a 2-star who's bottom of the room. I think Cal now has a pretty good pipeline of future players here B-
DT B+ Again, good present, solid future. Carlos Mama has a good name and is an A- overall pass rusher who looks good on paper. Aaron Smith is a blue chip (So) B+ overall who nails down the other starting spot. They have average 3 stars to fill out the room 1 Only signed one guy - D overall James Critcher. Not loving it but they already had depth so not the end of the world C-
FB B A couple solid guys, Gose looks pretty good as the blue chip in the room 0 Didn't sign any, I don't care -
FS C+ Moronta is the 2-star man coverage senior, but I'd bet on Weathersby to actually win the job as a (So) ball hawk and hold it for a few years with B- potential. A few other young 3-star ball hawks serve as good depth 2 Ricardo Blancas has a really good chance to win the starting job himself actually. A 4-star B/B player he has great potential and if he gets starting progressions will jump up. Keith Williams is an A potential 3 star, although I do think this is a crowded position with 5 underclassmen and only 1 who can be on the field A-
ILB B Moore is a good field general up the middle with B+ overall. They also have more than capable 3-star backups, but none have very high potential and haven't really broken out yet 2 Stephen Brown is a blue chipper and the only one in the room now. He probably redshirts this year but has a chance to beat out Bojan next season and win the starting job. They also took a 1-star who is whatever B
K B Izaah Giles III is a nice name, and he has a nice leg as a high B+ senior. Of course there's no one to back him up which dings them a bit 1 William Arnold from Tennessee is I guess the presumed heir but like, he's only a D overall and has C potential so not the best omen for the future D+
OG B/B+ Well Kyle Reed is a very good 3-star senior with A overall and may be drafted next season so that's good. The bad are that the (So) B- is the other starter and the (Fr) C are the only others rostered. Need more players 3 Meister is a really solid B+ potential 4-star pickup and Boomer and Garcia add solid depth. So I consider the depth issue less pressing now, and Boomer needs to hit the weight room since he'll be starting next season B
OLB B+ Damn, solid room here. a 4-star each of the last 3 cycles and D.J.Jenkins is that A overall Run stopping senior (from TN smh we needed him) who is a great starter at one side. Kuechly is the Jr run stopper who's less good and takes the other side. Last years 2 signees are still just C+ overalls and need to progress more 2 Hm a bit downhill here witl a pair of D overalls. I would like to see Cal get back to a solid pipeline here or at least some high potential players for when Jenkins / Kuechly leave D+
OT B+ A good mix of archetypes and depth, I like this room. Felix Ponce de Leon is a run blocking A- senior and on the other side you have pass blocking Dante Mejri as a B+ overall. You have a B- (So) and a 3 star (Fr) as well 3 Delossantos seems like he forgot to split up his last name into bits, but he is a blue chip talent which you love to see. Kidder is a 3-star B- potential so the duo makeup a pretty solid signing class. Also a 2-star but idc about him B
P B+ Kessler is only a B overall power punter, but he's a blue chip they signed last year so he is a good long term starter 0 Didn't sign any, didn't need to -
QB B+ I like Tanner Rodriguez more than I expected to. Frankly I think he's as close to an A- as he can get while still getting the B+. He's incredibly intelligent and has an above average arm. This is his last season and he has some good weapons so I do expect solid production. The heir apparent is the other blue chip in the room: (Fr) David Ferguson from last cycle. David is a balanced QB, which really means at this stage he's just average at everything, but the hope is he grows into a guy who's very good at everything. I think it'll be a step back next season and then he'll keep progressing well (B- potential). 0 Didn't sign any. David is the guy but still rare to see 0 QBs in a class -
RB B/B+ They are really deep here. Robertson is the senior starter with B+ overall and is a true receiving threat out of the backfield. Behind him are the 4-stars from the last 2 classes: Swearinger and Davis who are B/B- guys respectively and will take up the mantle in future years 2 Yikes, a pair of D overall guys isn't something that's very helpful. Gonna need to rectify that next year or the year after D+
SS B Cheslor Dickerson is a respectable B overall run stopper and returns next year for a senior capper. C.J. Asher is a fine senior backup this year, but last years signee sucksss as a 1 star D/F guy. They need a future starter 1 Justin Edwards isn't the guy either (D/D). So now next year Cheslor will be the only *real* player at the position (he'll be very good though). High priority here D
TE B- Yamamoto is a solid B+ receiving threat but he's gone next year. The other two guys aren't ready for the lights this year. Saum is a (Fr) 4-star who is still only a C+ same with Junior blocking Tress Crosby. I would've expected those to be good signees but for some reason they just haven't progressed much. 1 Voit is another D overall guy which means it's years before you might see his name anywhere D+
WR B+ This room is pretty solid, if thin. You've got Ty Ringo as the A overall blue chip senior who's going to be Tanner's best friend. At WR2 is Don Castillo who's plenty capable himself. Then you have a trio of junior B- overalls who are all physically talented but have not so great hands. Not a great class last year as they kinda punted on it 3 BIG FISH ALERT. Nick Morales is the first 5-star this class has signed and I think he was a fairly big recruiting battle. This is huge as he also has B- potential and is gonna be a starter this year, and the alpha by next year. They also signed a fairly high potential 2 and 3 star behind him. Still lacking a quantity of quality players but they have their all star now A

I think this is a good roster... for one more year. Unfortunately there are a lot of positions that look somewhat brittle(?) I guess? Like I think they have a pipeline to maintain starters just about everywhere, but they are definitely declining from conference championship contenders to a step below. They do actually have a fair number of impact players too, but looking at this year for example, 14/25 signees being 2 star or lower is just not an acceptable ratio if you want a strong roster in the long run no matter how good your hits are. I want them to cast a bit wider of a net and hit some high potential signees this upcoming year. C+ overall but Morales brings it up to a slashy grade by himself. That boy nice

Class Grade: C+/B-

School Grade Batch
Western Michigan A- Intro
Purdue A 1
Northern Illinois C+ 1
Michigan B- 2
Washington State B/B+ 2
Tulsa B/B+ 3
Temple C+ 3
Kansas B 3
James Madison C+/B- 4
BYU C 5