Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2024] Recruiting Class Grades Batch 7

Oops, long, long pause between iterations. But hey, we're back!

@Sarge @PoopyRhinoPickle

University of Georgia

Southeastern Conference

2023: 9-4 (5-3)

Recruiting Class Basics:

UGA signed 1 5-star, 8 4-stars, 4 3-stars, and 6 2-stars. They signed 10 players with B or better potentials and 1 B overalls. Rankings below:

ESPN: 123rd
Rivals: 23rd
247: 42nd

Composite: 46th

Signees below:

School Name Stars Ovr Pot Pos Archetype City State
UGA Kin Wilson 3 C B- C Pass Blocking Kingsburg CA
UGA Emmanuel Rhames 0 C- B CB Ball Hawk Cecil AL
UGA John High 2 D B CB Zone Coverage Daphne AL
UGA Jesse Shaw 4 C+ C+ DE Run Stopper Valdosta GA
UGA James Bradley 4 C C DE Balanced Hinesville GA
UGA Gary Dixon 3 C A DE Balanced Dacula GA
UGA Trevor Mack 4 C+ B DT Balanced Swainsboro GA
UGA Darin Haney 4 B- B- FS Zone Coverage Sugar Land TX
UGA Taylor Allen 4 C+ C+ ILB Field General Valdosta GA
UGA Geoffrey Pierce 2 D B ILB Coverage St. Johns MI
UGA Daniel McGrath 4 B- C+ OG Pass Blocking Chapin SC
UGA Thomas Keller 0 D A- OG Run Blocking Anderson SC
UGA Peter Picklesimer 2 D B OLB Speed Statesboro GA
UGA Pete Pool 4 C+ C+ OT Pass Blocking Navarre FL
UGA Alan Saling 2 D B OT Pass Blocking Fort Lauderdale FL
UGA Edwin Smith 0 D B- P Accuracy Maplesville AL
UGA Sargeant Slaughter 5 B B+ QB Field General Dahlonega GA
UGA Steven Graves 0 D C- RB Balanced Wadley AL
UGA Clifford Spencer 0 D A RB Power Rockledge FL
UGA Claudio Sicilian 4 C+ C SS Zone Coverage Butler NJ
UGA James Stafford 2 C- B- SS Man Coverage McBain MI
UGA Gary Green 0 D C+ TE Receiving Sarasota FL
UGA Scott Collins 3 C C WR Route Runner Lakeland FL
UGA Kevin Tack 3 C C+ WR Speed Traverse City MI
UGA Kyle Adams 2 C C+ WR Route Runner Morganton NC

Below is a breakdown position-by-position of (from L-R) their current roster, what they did on the trail, and the grade I gave them in recruiting that position.

Position Current position grade Current status Number signed Recruiting status Croot Grade
C D+ Yikes, shockingly thin here. I assume they're moving OL pieces around because a C+ senior and C (Fr) are.. not great now and don't project to be great in the future. Major weak spot 1 Kin Wilson is fine. A higher C overall with B- potential he's no C savior but will keep the room from disaster. I think it's an expected pickup from an SEC power C+
CB C+/B- Don't quite know what to make of this room. They have the awkward mix where their best corner is a man guy and their next 5 best are zones. I'm assuming they're committing to zone (just like seemingly everyone else) and just accept Kayvon Tate will play a little below his "true" level. Of course that means that they're really going to be rolling out a pair of B+ with a couple B overall backups. The good news is those backups are Juniors and have another year, but the next 2 years are just going to be good and they look a little vulnerable against elite passing attacks until their recruits age up more (Hansford looks great) 2 They kinda punted on this group and decided to prioritize it next year I guess. A single 2/D overall and a walk-on (who's better than that lol) is not inspiring confidence in their long run potential D+
DE B+/A- This is a really good room (and deep!). The coaches are super high on Cam Atchison who is on the cusp of A-/A status and has another yaer after this. Dante Riley is right there with him in skill too nad then they have a pair of blue chip junior B/B+ (and another B-) behind them chomping at the bit to get playing time. Curious if any of them rotate in to spell Dante and get more snaps 3 Damn they really want to be DL-U. Two bluechip pickups here in Jesse Shaw and James Bradley along with a 3/C/A to boot. I think they're more than stocked here and probably gonna focus elsewhere next cycle A-
DT A-/A Ah, I see why sarge is so proud of his DL. Jon Core is tied with Outman in my eyes as the best player on this team. A high A stud with no weak points he's going to be the primary DL guy getting schemed around. Unfortunately (for opponents) Toby Mayfield next to him is an A- and not as gaudy but a strong starter in his own right. Behind them is one of last season's top recruits Jonathan Green (4BB) who took a redshirt and should be the first backup out on the field. They also have a smattering of recruited 3-stars who are on good trajectories (albeit lowish potentials) 1 Yep, as expected another blue chip up the middle with Trevor Mack. Maybe you can argue they need more bodies but they've got plenty of future starts on the DL B+
FB C Don't care, they have some very average 3-star soph out there as a C+ so not great but he'll get better. They're fine 0 Didn't sign any, I don't care -
FS A- I think Dennis Germany is a stud. B+ true soph he's the unquestioned starter for 3 years. Behind him are a bunch of B/B- 3stars. D.J. Tucker is the most notable with an A+ potential but really nobody else in this room is getting snaps with Germany here. 1 I'm a little surprised by this but maybe Darin fell into their hands. I assumed with Germany in the fold they wouldn't really go after a FS but here is a 4/B-/B- the very next cycle. I assume he gets a redshirt but that still only gives him 2 starting years. Either way they are now super loaded at the position A-
ILB B- Really thin here. Derek Bradley is a great B overall blue chip field general from the class of '21 and has the starting job. Behind him though are 2 upperclassmen 2-stars who are NOT SEC caliber. Looking for them to sign a couple guys as good depth this cycle and next so it's not so empty and injury-prone 2 Ok this was solid, they were very thin and snagged a good combo. Taylor Allen is a blue chip local field general who looks like the future starter and they added another 2 star for purely depth reasons it looks like. Solid strategizing B+
K C C+ (Jr) kicker is nothing to brag about. At least he's accurate so hopefully doesn't shank crucial XPs. I'd look for them to sign their future starter in this class 0 Didn't sign any. Worrisome since there are very few good kickers each year. They're actually going to have to prioritize a blue chip one next cycle because typical freshman kickers are baddd and missing a bunch of FG and XP is an overlooked issue I think D-
OG B Good group here but a little old. They've got an A-/B+ senior combo who are good if not outstanding. Next year though is a drop off to a B/C+ combo and then a (Fr) 3-star behind that. I'm looking for a talent infusion very soon so the croots have time to grow 2 Another blue chip here with Daniel McGrath (B- overall) so their starter pipeline is looking pretty solid. Got a walk on as well in a throwaway signee so maybe a little sparse on *good* depth B
OLB B You know, OLBs really have seemed sparse in the sim so far. They've got a pair of B overall seniors who aren't crazy intimidating but aren't total liabilities. The issue though is scheme fit. With the DL they've got going I'm assuming they'll run 4-3 base, but most of their OLBs are pass rushers. So either they'll be running a bunch of 5-man fronts or eating a malus I think. Norman Morrison is a really good pickup from last year, 4/B-/C as a true soph and looks like a future All-SEC potential candidate. They've got another pair of 3 stars battling it out and whichever one progresses better likely gets the start next year 1 Peter Picklesimer is an all-conference name but he's not quite as good on the actual football field. I don't love him, and they don't have anyone else in the pipeline so curious where they go next season C-
OT B+ Valverde is their 2/A-/A+ starter at LT and you love to see a home grown product get developed like this into a senior starter. Behind him they have options with 3 junior B+ players including a pair of 4-stars. I think they'll be great next season and then take a moderate step back unless they hit big this cycle. 2 Pete Pool with another alliterative name in this class. He's actually good though as a 4-star pickup. They added another depth 2-star option but again, signing a blue chip per year on OL should leave you well stocked with talent B
P B Craig Hunter has a cool name and is a B- sophomore so they have a couple years before worrying about this again 1 They didn't need a punter and just took a walk on -
QB A- Will Outman. Remember the name. Man is getting serious first round hype leading into this year and actually put up some great performances last season. A lot of folks around Athens are calling this their chance to win the SEC and Outman is a major reason why. A overall (Sr) 4-star, he has all the tools for success and has reportedly been locked in all off-season. Can't ask for anything better. Only knock is that it's a big drop off behind him. Gillislee is the nominal 2nd best guy as a scrambler, but (So) Chin-Lung is the only other guy with B throwing attributes. I actually think he might be the true backup and future starter as a 3-star B-/A+ guy. Underrated and I think he'll make a big jump to be ready to take over next season 1 A+. Best possible option when looking to the post-Outman future. Slaughter not only has a great name but he was an elite 11 finalist, 5-star, B+ potential QBOTF. Best of all is he gets a redshirt year to learn from Outman and a full 4-years of starting for the red and black. Very next generation. Only sad aspect is that Chin-Lung is now officially recruited over and will likely transfer A+
RB A- Roy Mejia is the guy next to Outman. A 4/A-/C (Jr) he's smart, fast, and strong (although doesn't have great support/secondary skills). He'll be more than competent and with fellow junior Corey Brown will command some focus and be stars next season as seniors. Last cycle they redshirted 4 star Charles Bellamy so lets see if they go big this cycle or wait a year for their next future blue chipper 2 Took 2 walk ons but they had plenty of talent in the pipeline. Probably need a guy next season though C
SS B I REALLY hope they signed a guy this cycle. Bennie Carpenter is a great A- starter, but he's literally the only guy in this room and graduating this year. I guess they can move some of their backlogged FS over but I still think they should have at least 1 true SS in the room. Bennie + Dennis is a great secondary though to back up the more suspect corners 2 Thank goodness, they'll have actual SS players next season lol. Claudio Sicilian is a blue chip prospect who almost certainly starts next season and Stafford is going to back him up in case of injury B+
TE B- Just kind of ok here. A trio of 3-stars none of whom are graduating and have B/B-/C overalls as receiving options. I think they'll be fine and Outman will probably make them look better but they aren't driving the offense and can't replace Canaan. 1 Eh they could've done more here but I don't know how heavily they'll expect their TE to feature in gameplanning. All their guys return but signing 0 in this class (got a walk on) still puts a bit of pressure on the next class D+
WR A This room is better than I've heard hype around it for. Garcia and Corey Smith made some huge plays last season and come back with A+/A speed. Paired with Outman all it takes is a good hot route and boom, 6 points. Amazing top end and Maxi Jackson should be quite good next season as well (B right now) a couple other players who are ok, Phuong Ham is the only notable one though. 3 Low-key focusing more on WR than I expected. A pair of 3 stars and a 2 adds good depth to this room and probably what they should've done in a few other rooms this cycle C+

Honestly I don't know. Slaughter by himself makes this class hype and gets them above average, and they certainly got their fair share of impact players. However, if you want to be an SEC power you simply can't have classes with only 13 signees 3 stars and above. I know, I know, they got super unlucky with signing day flips, but this puts a lot more pressure on next years cycle and likely forces the coaches to put more backup options in play because some of these rooms actually really need a couple 3 stars to fill them out and avoid big drop-offs in the future. I hope to see at least 20+ 3-stars in next years class. Might sound a bit negative, but if they do bounce back with the depth then we will probably look back at this class with a brighter outlook because they definitely got some good players (and the first 5-star signee of the Bulldog era??). As for this year I think UGA is a force on the field and squarely in the danger quartet with Kentucky, LSU, and Tennessee

Class Grade: B-

Bowling Green State University

Mid American Conference

2023: 11-3 (9-0)

Recruiting Class Basics:

BGSU signed 6 4-stars, 12 3-stars. They signed 9 players with B or better potentials and 0 B overalls. Rankings below:

ESPN: 127th
Rivals: 53rd
247: 48th

Composite: 95th

Signees below:

School Name Stars Ovr Pot Pos Archetype City State
BGSU Douglas Springsteen 4 C+ A- C Line Captain Houston TX
BGSU Larry Einhorn 3 C C+ CB Man Coverage North Fort Myers FL
BGSU James Johnson 0 C D- CB Ball Hawk Hamilton OH
BGSU Ray Wise 4 C+ A- DE Run Stopper Hilliard OH
BGSU Paul Riggs 3 C A- DE Speed Rusher Prescott Valley AZ
BGSU Nigel Jackson 0 D C+ DT Balanced Louisville KY
BGSU Paul Sendelbach 0 D A+ DT Balanced Hopkins MI
BGSU Krishna LaBrie 4 C+ B+ FS Run Stopper Wall TX
BGSU Michael Hall 0 D F FS Ball Hawk Erie PA
BGSU Travis Jimenez 3 C C+ ILB Field General Needham MA
BGSU Michael Mora 3 C B- ILB Coverage Lakeville MN
BGSU Rudy Hernandez 0 D A+ K Balanced Jamestown OH
BGSU Ravindra Clark 3 C C+ OG Balanced Orlando FL
BGSU David Gorton 3 C B- OG Balanced Gallipolis OH
BGSU Armando Flores 3 C B- OLB Pass Rush Rio Linda CA
BGSU Ian Gordon 0 D C OLB Speed Troy MI
BGSU David James 3 C B OT Run Blocking North Canton OH
BGSU Timothy Bush 3 C B QB Pocket West Branch IA
BGSU Irwin Schindler 0 D C+ QB Scrambler Flat Rock MI
BGSU Todd Marriott 4 C+ B- RB Balanced Strongsville OH
BGSU Daniel Jones 3 C C RB Power Cuero TX
BGSU Phillip Quiton 4 C+ C SS Run Stopper Camarillo CA
BGSU Francisco Ocampo 3 C B- TE Blocking Chula Vista CA
BGSU Donald Hairston 4 C+ B- WR Possesion Philadelphia MS
BGSU Frank Tilghman 3 C B+ WR Route Runner Bauxite AR

Below is a breakdown position-by-position of (from L-R) their current roster, what they did on the trail, and the grade I gave them in recruiting that position.

Position Current position grade Current status Number signed Recruiting status Croot Grade
C B+ A B overall doesn't scream "dominant" starter, and Khalid Davis isn't... yet. But a (So) B overall blue chipper does scream future success and that's what you expect from a perennial playoff team. Still one of the weaker spots on the roster 1 Already looking to the future, Douglas Springsteen comes from music superstardom but has an NFL future as a blue chip prospect with A- potential. Pretty clearly *the guy* of the future (after he redshirts and when Khalid leaves) B+/A-
CB A Being a man cover team pays off with a lot more recruiting targets. Dingus is possibly the best overall recruit in his class and an absolute lock-down star who could probably go pro and be a first round pick after this season. Plenty of ink has been spilled. They also have a pair of B+ (Jr)s who are gonna be very very good next year and then 3 blue chip B-/B+ players in the last two classes. It's pretty clear BGSU has cracked the crooting secret here and wants to keep the train rolling as CB-U 2 After their run they only took two mid guys this cycle to get some space. I assume they'll be right back to punching it next year C
DE A- Again, in great position here. A/A- senior speed rushers at the top and then a blue chip run stopper the last two classes. Interesting to see them making that clear move from speed rusher to run stopper (but I guess they are setting up for a 3-4 future). 2 Signed another blue chip A- potential here along with an A- potential 3-star. Great duo who can progress well even when not starting B+
DT A Honestly what do they really need further than this? They signed Jasper Chunk last cycle as a 5-star nose tackle with B+ potential. He redshirted and is an A- (Fr) which is REALLY rare. 4 years of A-/A starting from one plyer is crazy. They also have a shit ton of good 3-stars to back him up. I don't really see this being a focus for a while 2 Took two walk ons as expected. I guess this upcoming year might go for an easy pick up 4-star nose tackle to be the bridge between Jasper and the next "guy" but it might be the lowest priority on this roster C
FB B They hve two guys who seem pretty good, not much I want to say further 0 Didn't sign any -
FS B+ Again, only B overall starters, but two B overall (SO) is a really good pipeline for the future. Run stopper and Ball hawk so I'm curious who wins the starting job or if they mix and match based on scheme / opponents. Great strength for the team though 2 Damn they added another blue chip B+ potential run stopper? Krishna LaBrie definitely slots in as the future starter as an assumed (Jr) when he gets his crack. Not a whole lot better they can do here B+
ILB A Jesus what a tear. Evan Mangen is an A overall senior run stopper who is scary to try and go up against. They also redshirted another pair of blue chips last cycle who are now B- (Fr) and almost certainly slotting in as starting ILBs in a 3-4 2 Signed a pair of 3-stars here who look good, but I assume they want to continue signing obscene amounts of blue chips and will get a good one next year C+
K B+ They have a 3/B/A (So) kicker already so they're in good shape for a year until they need their next one 1 took a walk on, didn't really matter -
OG A- Bam Lamp is a stud on one end and pairs with fellow junior Bennie Daniels on the other. Both will be easy high A overalls as seniors next year. They also signed a pair of blue chips last cycle so the future is already in place 2 Took 2 3-star depth options but with the blue chip guys in the same class now it doesn't matter, there was very little that could be improved C+/B-
OLB A- Shocker, another group with a bunch of stud underclassmen. They have every archetype represented and it might not be the top group this year (B+/B/B as their best options) they have two (So) B overall 4-stars and signed another blue chip last cycle. They'll be good for a whileee 2 Added a 3-star and a walkon. Not the best but again, they're pretty deep here C
OT A Well, they have a pair of A overalls which is about as good as it gets. Marte and Williamson are lockdown adn Williamson returns next year. They have another pair of 4 star B/B- recruits from the last two cycles so they're chugging along with a bunch of 3-star depth pieces for good measure 1 Only signed a single 3 star, not bad but probably want to pick up a blue chip this upcoming cycle C
P C+ Only 1 guy and a C overall. Not good. Bright side is he was last years signee so they have breathing room until they need another (unless he gets hurt) 0 Didn't sign any -
QB A I admit it, I think of BGSU as "just" an S-tier loaded team with talent everywhere, but I didn't really think of their standout offensive weapons. Kingery though is GOOD. An A overall (Jr) he actually compares favorably to the two more hyped players in his graduating year (Oliveros and Savage). He's probably going to be a first rounder and an absolute monster next year. Behind him BGSU snagged Velaszuez two cycles ago (I think he'll be great) and Chris Cannon last year (I wanted him at Tennessee for a hot second but he defected) Both are blue chips with cannon arms and should be really good 2 took a walk on and a random 3 star pocket passer but like, nobody would've started from this class unless they got a mega 5-star. Might want to look into getting one next cycle though or at least putting their hat in the ring until they sign one. That's probably the biggest impact on the roster they could get C
RB A- I feel like a record on repeat. Graterol and Cabinda are A- seniors who deliver a great set of options and mesh well with Kingery. They also have another blue chip in Brinkley as a (So) B overall to take over next season. Solid depth pieces 2 Signed another blue chip balanced player from Ohio to be the future and a 3 star power guy as a goal line change of pace. I like it B
SS B+ Another stud from the 2021 clss, Austin Pena is an A- who's just a hair below A overall by my estimation. He's backed up by a few B seniors but behind that isn't much. Probably need the next piece here 1 Got him. Another blue chip for the factory in Phillip Quiton as a run stopper all the way from California. Perfect time to redshirt him and let him take over when Pena leaves B+
TE B A bunch of B overalls here but signed 4 stars the last two cycle so they've got their receiving options ready 1 Took a blocking 3-star which is a surprise departure from the regular archetype. Interesting play C
WR B This *had* been an achilles heel until last year. Ross carter is the senior A- player, they signed a baller in (So) Kenneth deJesus but everybody else was just a guy. Until last year when they signed a pair of blue chippers and got to redshirt them (and a 3-star who actually progressed to be better than both funnily enough). Good looking future now 2 Took another blue chip and another 3-star who could be just as good lol. They now have 4 freshman eligible good players and can rest on their laurels a bit B

This was... surprising. BGSU has been an S-tier recruiting team and their roster is l o a d e d. They have a few slightly weaker spots but they've made some really smart redshirt choices and obviously phenomenal recruits. They'll probably walk to the playoffs this season and then starting next year have multiple years of title chances. It was interesting to see them falter a little bit this past season. I think the AI was stronger than expected and punished them a bit from going too wide as we see them end up with a lot of plan B options (for them that is). Still though, I think they showed their recruiting acumen by maintaining a good positional spread and there are still no real holes on the roster. I'm very curious how they respond to that. Do they try again? Do they narrow their scope a little bit? Do they moon shot a few players, or go for all high potentials since there are pretty much no starting spots available. Can't wait to see

Class Grade: B-

Up next - Florida and Stanford

Edited by tsweezy
  • Like 3