Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

The Transformation of the New York Jets Part 3... The 2024 Draft

The New York Jets managed to grab 6 Rookies, all within the top 90 of the draft. As far as rebuilds go, you cannot complain about that at all! Lets take a look at who they wanted, and who they missed out on as far as targets go:

DRAFT PHILOSOPHY

Aside from bailing on Maronde as number 1, I do generally hold the belief "take the guy you want". I don't really see the point in refusing to take someone because you think you're reaching at the spot if you're on the clock. If you really like a guy, take him and let people ridicule you for it if that's how they feel about it. If he turns out a stud, then last laugh is yours. So if someone on my board was taken, then I just shifted everyone up one spot in the board to my next pick slot. I also think that the scouting point limitation meant the player projections were always a bit iffy anyway, and that meant "reaches" were always likely in the eyes of many, but you know what the scouting (and private scouting) is telling you more than someone who has done neither as well.

- PICK 10 (Moved up from 12)

Wide Receiver - Marvin Thomas
60 OVR/B- Potential

Lets cut to the chase. The plan here was Arden Ejiofor and then Thomas at 13 to really send my WR group forwards together for years to come. The Dolphins shocked everyone when they took Ejiofor at 2 so they knocked Thomas up to next in line for me. I also took a quick look at others needs and got a bit twitchy about missing out on both of my top WR targets, so paid a small fee (a very future 7th and a 4th) to move up two spots and stop Jags from either taking or trading, or someone else making the jump up with Chargers (my main concern being the Patriots).

I have 2 really talented veterans, but young depth at a skill position was my goal. I am really glad that this happened as it did. The move up might not have been necessary, but I was not gambling both my top 

- PICK 13
Inside Linebacker - Davis Covey
58 OVR/B-

Covey was unlikely to go to Round 2, but he was spot 4 on my board (Ejiofor and Maronde were 1 & 2 if they fell). I knew that I need to improve two or three of my spots in Defence, and Inside Linebacker was thin in depth (I had two going into the draft). Covey scouted incredibly well. Whilst no one attribute stands out, he was really solid across the board. He is also capable at Run Defence, which whilst he is Coverage based as an Archetype, lends itself well to making sure I have someone I can put into a run defence package if I need to shift that way. Really pleased that after losing Ejiofor it meant I got my WR, then could turn my attention to Covey and he will be a great asset. He will see plenty of the field this season too.

- PICK 54 
Kicker - Ronald Baker
63 OVR/C+

KICKERS.......WIN.......GAMES! A shit kicker can also lose you a game. We saw it time and time again in the CFB and NFL season last year in the sim live feeds. Kicking is tough in the sim, and a shit kicker cost so power teams in PAT and 3-point attempts. Baker was clearly above the rest in this draft, and also he's already one of the best young kickers at 63 OVR. His leg power will need work, and he'll get his chance, but his 73 accuracy as a rookie is only going to go upwards. I will be forgiving for his first two years, but we will be looking forward to more accurate placekicking than what we've seen so far from Jets kickers.

A second round kicker is probably a reach, but so far the reaction from many is "yeah, we get it to be honest".

-PICK 68
Full Back - Michael Elias
59 OVR/B-

The Jets are going to be a heavy Run Option/RPO team. There's no point hiding it. The O-Line I have built in FA give it away clear as day. My Scrambler QB gives it away. My Running Backs give it away. I have Possession WRs instead of deep threat merchants. Elias is a Rush Weapon. Kipnis was traded for a pair of seconds that give me flexibility, and Elias now fits what we want more, and he will be getting game time to grow very, very quickly. 

-PICK 89 
Defensive End - Hunter Suh
57 OVR/A

Hunter Suh was one I privately worked out. He came back VERY postively from that workout. He lacks a little as day one starter, but with an already quite thin DE pool, he will get his chances to impress. Stamina has came back as a huge concern, and will need to be worked on, but the talent and potential is there for this Speed Rusher to hunt some over eager pocket Quarterbacks down.

-PICK 90
Wide Receiver - Matt Siri
56 OVR/B

I traded back in with a 2026 5th and TE Medeiros. He wasn't a fit and wasn't gonna get game time and so Dallas were willing partners as they wanted him. It worked out well overall for us both I think. Siri was someone I was surprised fell this low. I liked him as an option for earlier rounds, but getting Thomas allowed me to focus elsewhere. I did debate one or two others here, but ultimately I wanted another young WR to work with, so in the future drafts I can focus on defence for some aging options.

CONCLUSION

Overall, I'm happy with where we've wound up. We also managed to sign over 40 UDFAs and a couple of Free Agents to bolster our depth. This has left me in a place where I think I can achieve the target of 6 wins for the season. It sounds a low target, but last season was 3 (and one of those came against a struggling Colts). A lot of these UDFAs are likely making the roster, and many will make the practice squad too.

Now we just have to put the scheme in place to give all these youngsters a chance.

Next iteration: Part 4... The UDFA's and the Final 53.

Edited by Spoof
  • Like 5