Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2024] NSNN 2024 NFL Draft LIVE Draft Grades

NEMO'S SPORTS NEWS NETWORK
Your Source of Everything Sports. By Fans. For Fans.

nfl-draft-pick-is-in_1bnhbwsji49nt16xnrk

Pick 1: Tennessee Titans ((via NYJ, CAR, IND)) select:
SS Garrett Smith - Baylor

The draft starts off with a pleasant surprise as Garrett Smith goes with the first overall pick of the draft. Strong Safety actually isn't the biggest need for the Titans. I thought the Titans would try to address the running back situation or even make a change to their defensive line. Instead, they get the best safety in the draft overall. The only logical reasoning that we can come up with is that the Titans want to choose someone to pair up with rising star Sergio Collins. The Titans now have the best ball-hawking defenses in the league with this pick.

Grade: A-

Pick 2: Miami Dolphins ((via SF)) select:
WR Arden Ejiofor -  Louisiana

This pick is a huge headscratcher for the Dolphins, and we have our first reach of the season. Instead of taking the player we expected to be in this spot, Paul Cahna, they instead chose Arden Ejiofor. I know that the Dolphins need a route runner at wide receiver, but I would not have expected them to choose this player. Even if you already have two good receivers, you choose the better player. This might work out for the Miami, but as it currently stands out that does not seem to be the case.

Grade: D

Pick 3: Carolina Panthers ((via NYJ)) select:
C Ruben Shazier -  Alabama

This draft just keeps on getting weirder. Another shocker two picks in a row. Although the Dolphins were a shocker, I don't necessarily think that Shazier going this early is a bad one. The Panthers seem to go for run blocking, so this is questionable at best, however. Also, the Panthers have a good center core. My guess is that Ruben will be playing elsewhere on the offensive line. It's not really the biggest need for the Panthers, but they get the best offensive lineman, and how about we shake things up? 

Grade: B-

Pick 4: New York Giants select:
WR Paul Cahna -  Alabama

I am not sure that this pick will lead to a perfect scheme alignment for the Giants, but I think they are going for the best player available. Looking at it, the Giants only have three wide receivers. What's more, two of these are not even NFL-caliber. I think this was a huge move for the Giants, although, on paper, it doesn't really seem like it. It's not a bad pick for the Giants, as they take one of the biggest speedsters in the draft. It's not a bad selection for the Giants here, and although there are better options for them, it's better than people account it for. 

Grade: A

Pick 5: Carolina Panthers select:
DE Vince Gresham -  Oregon State

Another concerning pick, considering how early in the draft this is. If this was later in the draft, I specifically said that Carolina should not choose a defensive end because Stephens might do the job. Yet, they go with a defensive end here. Really confusing pick, considering that Gresham is not even a top-5 caliber pick to begin with. I am not confident with this pick for Carolina. This might align with what their scheme, but I feel like this is a reach for Carolina, even if it is a good player. 

Grade: C-

Pick 6: New Orleans Saints select:
CB Stansley Alvarez -  LSU

I said that this pick is between Alvarez and Hilliard. I said that I really liked Hilliard as opposed to Alvarez because he had a better skillset, but the Saints interestingly decided to go for Alvarez here. This is still a really, really good pick for the Saints. The Saints are in need of another cornerback, and adding another good-man corner in the form of Stansley Alvarez is huge. Alvarez seems to look like a good nickel option for the Saints at this time, maybe eventually rising the ranks to CB2 this season. 

Grade: A+

Pick 7: Houston Texans select:
QB Hiram Maronde -  UCLA

There is nothing much that I can say about this pick other than this pick was expected for the Texans. The Texans do not have a QB, and we all expected them to get a QB at this position. Thankfully for the Texans fans out there, they go for the best QB available. I am not sure that Maronde is an NFL-caliber quarterback yet, but the Texans finally got one of their biggest question marks addressed. For the Texans, it is not about the quality of the player, but rather addressing what they need. 

Pick 8: Atlanta Falcons select:
DT Logan Lopez -  Houston

One of the big hitters of this draft class finally gets drafted. Unfortunately, this big hitter falls down to the 8th pick of the draft. I really like the player, but this pick from the Falcons could be a bit better. The Falcons do need another defensive tackle to help give them more depth at the defensive tackle position, but I don't think Logan Lopez will do much. He is a balanced defensive tackle, leaving the Falcons to be stuck in an identity crisis at the defensive line. Good, but this leaves a mess for the Falcons to solve. 

Pick 9: Seattle Seahawks select:
RB Clayton McGee -  Florida State

The projected #1 pick stays in the top pick, this time he will be spending his time from the Atlantic Southeast to the Pacific Northwest. The more I look at this pick, the more I feel like this is could actually help the Seahawks in the long run. They do have a running back, but John Woodward is in his 10th season, and his contract ends at the end of that season. With uncertainty that Woodward will stay with the Seahawks, the Seahawks bring in the best running back in the class with the chance to let Woodward teach him to become a star runner while also having the best running back duo in the NFL to date. 

Pick 10: New York Jets (via LAC) select:
WR Marvin Thomas -  LSU

Another WR chosen that is essentially a huge reach. According to our board, Marvin Thomas wasn't even projected to be a 1st Round Draft pick. We projected Jones to be around a 3rd round draft pick. So, picking Thomas with the 10th pick- a top ten pick- is certainly a huge headscratcher at this point. Plus, this isn't a possession wide receiver. My guess is that the Jets are trying to play the spread option for new starter Luke Trahan, but even then, Trevor Wood might've been better. With this pick, the Jets made it clear this is possibly a rebuild year. 

Pick 11: Jacksonville Jaguars select:
CB Zac McCutchen -  Mizzou

So the Jaguars did address one of their biggest needs. The Jaguars got a cornerback, low and behold, it is a man coverage back. However, the fact that it is not Hilliard or both raises a lot of eyebrows. It is a bit of a reach since we have Zac McCutchen going in the second round at best. I am not sure if the Jaguars saw something in him that we did not, but this does not look like a good pick for the Jaguars. Maybe they are trying to make their cornerback room all rookies for a fresh start, but I wouldn't pick McCutchen here.

Grade: C+

Pick 12: Los Angeles Chargers (via NYJ, DET) select:
DE James McKinnon - Miami (OH)

When we say that the Chargers traded down to the 12th pick, we all thought the Chargers would do so to choose Wolters. They probably saw the offensive tackle room and thought maybe they should go address some other position instead. With that, the Chargers get the best run-stopper instead. This is technically the best-case scenario for the Chargers. McKinnon will definitely fit in with the Chargers' defensive scheme, and with Abel Moore leaving, they are trying to prepare for his inevitable departure. This isn't their biggest need though. 

Pick 13: New York Jets (via MIN) select:
ILB Davis Covey - Charlotte

In my mock draft, I had Covey going to Jets, simply because of the prospect of him being a perfect fit to the Jets. It seems like they have been listening. Not only does this give the Jets insurance with Mark Keesey leaving, this also will help fit in to the Jets scheme. As they greatly reached with their first pick, their next pick will fare a lot better, and the Jets will eventually think about why they didn't choose him with their earlier pick down the road. A hit for the mock draft here for the Jets. 

Pick 14: Green Bay Packers select:
CB Connor Hardison - USC

So the Packers get their zone corner, but it is a bit of a surprise as they take Connor Hardison. Now, don't get me wrong, I really like Connor. But there is a huge problem with this pick. I do not even have Hardison in as a 1st-rounder in this year's draft. He is a good player, but I think if the Packers really wanted him, he would've gone to the second round. I don't see why they didn't take Parks here. Not a big reach, however, and the Packers might've chosen the steal of the draft. But for now, it's a decent pick.  

Grade: C

Pick 15: Cleveland Browns select:
OT Mike Penny - Texas

Our first offensive tackle has been taken off of the board. Unfortunately, that offensive tackle is not J'Mon Wolters. Even worse, the first offensive tackle taken on the board is a huge reach. Mike Penny was projected to be a 3rd-Round pick at best. Even worse, the Browns don't really need a offensive tackle here. Bao Sultana is a great option, Martin Sears can skate by as an NFL starter, and both are on long contracts. They might've just looked at the combine stats, but that does not tell the entire story. 

Grade: D+

Pick 16: Baltimore Ravens select:
OT DaVonte Logan - Michigan

Back-to-back offensive tackles taken in the first round. The Ravens end up getting their guy to play alongside Robert Anderson. However, it is not J'Mon Walters. In fact, The Ravens end up taking yet another reach with DaVonte Logan. I don't like this pick for the Ravens at all. We have Logan as an early 4th round pick. Also, The Ravens are focusing more on the pass block. Logan is known as a run blocker, and his pass blocking is pretty poor. This is such a terrible pick for Baltimore. 

Pick 17: New England Patriots select:
WR Logan Njoku - Kentucky

One of the best wide receivers falls to number 17, and the Patriots are very lucky to have him slide all the way down to this point. Logan Njoku, drafted at this pick, is pretty much a deal at this point. He is also rated as the best route running wide receiver in the draft class. This will help the Patriots wide receiver depth become much more powerful with not many NFL-caliber players at that position. Also, Njoku will definitely fit in to the Patriots scheme as well. This has the potential to be a steal -- and a future WR1 in New England. 

Pick 18: Buffalo Bills select:
OLB Jordan Conner - Oregon State

Instead of building on their offensive line in the first round of the draft, the Bills instead decide to solve their weakness of a poor outside linebacker room for the Buffalo Bills. Unfortunately, the outside linebacker room is very, very weak for the Buffalo Bills. I can't really say for certain what the Bills are trying to go for in terms of addressing that position, and this leaves me confused on what they are trying to create for their defense. He did have a good combine, but combine doesn't tell everything. The combine stats is the reason why this isn't a D+ or lower. 

Grade: C-

Pick 19: Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:
DT T.Y. Hubbard - Syracuse

Woof, this is tough for Tampa Bay. The fact that the team decided to choose T.Y. Hubbard over anything else is just absurd. This is especially because they don't even need a defensive tackle to believe with. The Buccaneers already have Howard Phillips and Matthew Zimmer. Despite them aging with expiring contracts, there is no need to address this if they both are starter caliber while T.Y. Hubbard is projected as a 3rd-4th rounder. Also, the Bucs did not address their center position. The Buccaneers front office need to answer all these questions. 

Grade: F

Pick 20: Philadelphia Eagles select:
DE Whit Wilson - Oklahoma State

I did say that what the Eagles needed was inside linebackers. But do you want to know what they also really need? A defensive end. The Eagles have only one defensive end that was perhaps NFL-caliber, and other than that there was not much else on the docket. Adding Whit Wilson for how far he fell into the draft is a huge steal. I don't know how well he fits into the Eagles scheme, but this is a home run for the Eagles. The Eagles get their much-needed boost to their defensive line. 

Pick 21: Chicago Bears select:
CB Giannis Wright - Air Force

For the Bears, I have them going two ways with this pick. The first choice for them would be for them to choose Kyle Reimold to replace Jerzey Redding, who is most likely on his way out. The other way is them choosing Giannis Wright -- the best cornerback left at this point of the mock draft -- even though Chandler McKay might be a bit better. They end up getting Wright, which could help solidify the secondary, putting it a bit more too their scheme. I really like the pick for the Bears, as they attempt to build one of the scariest ball hawking secondaries in the NFL. 

Pick 22: San Fransisco 49ers (via TEN) select:
 QB Andrew Solano  - TCU

The Mock draft hits again, this time with the right pick as well. Instead of looking towards free agency with their 38 million cap space to look forward to their future QB, the 49ers end up taking their franchise quarterback -- and in the 1st round, no less. Solano might not be a first-round talent, but his resume -- which includes being a NCAA runner-up -- makes Solano too good to pass up for the Niners. You add in the factor that the 49ers don't have a good QB room with Ramirez not at an NFL-Caliber level, it makes sense for the 49ers to take a flyer on him. 

Grade: B+

Pick 23: Detroit Lions (via NYJ, CIN) select:
RB Richard Bianchi  - Hawaii

Of course, you cannot deny that the Lions have much more pressing concerns regarding their team composition, but I honestly believe that this is a good pick for the Lions. Sine Detroit has let go of their best running back, David Perrigin, via trade to the Jets, there was a pressing need of a new face in the running game. Not only is this a huge steal for the Lions in getting Richard Bianchi, the Lions also nabbed a running back that will go along with the current running core. Bianchi looks to be the future RB1 for the Lions. 

Pick 24: Carolina Panthers (via ATL, LV) select:
RB Kelvin Dupree  - Kentucky

By the way, this pick was traded to the Panthers from the Falcons, so this pick is not by Atlanta. And I feel like whatever trade these two concocted, the Falcons fleeced Carolina in rival fashion. The Panthers, with this pick, select Dupree with pick 24. This is a huge reach, and it is not like they really needed a running back anyway. They will be completely fine with Kelvin Dupree, so I am not sure which was the Panthers are going for here. Perhaps they want to draft for the future if they get rid of Joseph Cale somehow? The Panthers never fail to confuse. 

Grade: D-

Pick 25: Los Angeles Chargers (via DAL) select:
OT J'Mon Wolters  - Utah

Finally, a big-name offensive lineman goes off the board. And look who it is, it is the big man J'Mon Wolters. I predicted that the Chargers would get J'Mon in the 10th pick, and I also said that they would perhaps try to trade down to get the big man. Well, I was right when I said that the Chargers will trade down to get the Utah offensive tackle. This was the best offensive lineman off the board, and honestly, I feel like the Chargers needed a player like him badly. They just made the safer pick. 

Pick 26: Miami Dolphins select:
OT Mike Hubbard  - TCU

We would've expected the Dolphins to go with a defensive back here to boost their secondary. We were completely wrong. They take Mike Huubard out of TCU. Not only is this a reach, but this also proves something for Miami. They are planning for the future. They don't really need an offensive tackle, but Johnson is most likely on his way out. They could've gone and chosen an offensive tackle next year, but that is just me. So far, it has been a head scratcher for the Dolphins, but not as bad as their first pick honestly. 

Pick 27: Kansas City Chiefs select:
WR Ronald Cimber  - Miami (FL)

This pick might sound a bit confusing, but if you look deeper as to what Kansas City is trying to do with their offense, it makes a whole lot of sense. The Chiefs are trying to build their offense around the rising Theo Schriber, and judging from their roster, I kinda believe that Ronald Cimber is a perfect fit for this team. It might not fit with the rest of the receiver core, but he brings in a versatile WR3 that they can rely on if they plan to switch course on their play style to fit Theo. Not sure if choosing Cimber at this spot in the draft is a good move for them, however. 

Pick 28: Arizona Cardinals select:
OT Tony Varvaro  - Northern Illinois

Well, we have made the right call three times now. We had the Cardinals taking Tony Varvaro with this pick, and that is exactly what they did. Like we said, we absolutely like the Cardinals choosing this pick. He is a very great run blocker despite not really doing much to the scheme. It might not help Patrick Johnson, but it will work with Thomas Gesick and will lead to the Cardinals getting the best run game potentially in the league. The Cardinals give some insurance to their offense, the Cardinals prepare for the future, and it's a good selection for the fans in the desert.

Pick 29: Pittsburgh Steelers select:
OG Felix Rodriguez  - Temple

This is actually not a bad pick if you take another look at it, but there are a couple of things with the pick that irk me with the pick. First off, we did not have Felix Rodriguez going out in the first round, we had him going out early in the second round. He isn't really 1st round talent, which makes things a lot more complicated for the team. The next thing that is concerning about this pick is that they are addressing the run blocking problem. This is not a good scheme fit for the Steelers, but they do them I guess. 

Pick 30: Jacksonville Jaguars (via WAS) select:
ILB Kenny Daniel  - Wake Forest

An absolute steal for the Jaguars, taking Kenny Daniel with the 30th pick. Taking what is undisputedly the best inside linebacker in this year's draft, the Jaguars reinforce their defensive scheme -- perhaps trying to fix what did not go right for the team. As a run stopper, Daniel will find himself at home with the rest of the Jaguars linebacker corps. Time will tell if Daniel will excel to replace aging David Powers to be the ILB1 that the Jaguars so desperately need, but for now this is a good pick for Jacksonville. 

Pick 31: Jacksonville Jaguars (via LAR) select:
CB Dashuan Cecillani  - Alabama

The Jaguars end up getting yet another cornerback, that's the good news. But the bad news is that they ended up not getting Hilliard or Voth. Instead, they go for Dashuan Cecillani. This is a huge headscratcher against for the cornerback group. Cecillani is project to be at least a late-2nd rounder to early-3rd rounder. Picking him in the late 1st round is a reach. I don't like this pick at all, and if Hilliard gets out of the draft in the upcoming picks, which will definitely be the case, the Jags will regret it.  

Pick 32: Los Angeles Chargers (via CAR, DEN) select:
C Jorge Jacobs  - Alabama

For the closer of the 1st round of the NFL Draft this year, the Chargers get yet another offensive lineman. Here, it is the second center going off the board, in Jorge Jacobs out of Alabama. Despite a disappointing year for the Crimson Tide, this gives them a whopping 4 picks out of the first round alone. But I am not sure why the Chargers would reach a bit for a center. There is perhaps one explanation: The Chargers are trying to find a better center than Kyle Dickson that would fit more into their scheme. Not a bad pick for the last pick of the round. 

Grade: B

Edited by nemolee.exe
  • Like 1