Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2024] NSNN Official 2024 NFL Mock Draft

NEMO'S SPORTS NEWS NETWORK
Your Source of Everything Sports. By Fans. For Fans.

nfl-draft-pick-is-in_1bnhbwsji49nt16xnrk

It is almost draft day, one of the most magical days of the year. This is the moment when hopefuls desperate to be the next superstars, the next faces of the league, hear their names called out. And what way to start it off by looking at what the best players in college, the players that excelled in expectations, get chosen in. It is weeks, months, even years of hard work -- of scouting, of the combine, of evaluations, and of pure skill -- that has led to this moment. Only a select few will be selected on Day One. And with a class that is for sure hyped as much as the last, there are high hopes that those that get picked -- although not a given -- can serve their teams well. Today, I will be giving you my takes on how I believe the draft will pan out, based on team needs and on the best player that would fit their scheme. With that being said, here is how I believe the 1st round will go. 

Round 1, Pick 1 (Titans (via NYJ, CAR, IND)) - RB Clayton McGee, FSU - For the second year in the row, the 1st pick has changed hands. The expectation is that this pick goes to a rebuilding team desperate to shift into win-now mode. This year, the juggernaut in the Tennessee Titans has the top pick. Although usually, with a flawless team, it could be hard to predict who they choose first. This year, this is an easy one. The Titans traded star poster boy John Knighten (despite the upcoming year being a contract year.), leaving behind a massive hole in the running back depth. What about replacing him with a promising young running back? Clayton McGee was undoubtedly the best running back in college last year and could fit well in the Titans’ scheme. With this pick, the Titans find their new RB1, and the rich get richer, as they say. 

Round 1, Pick 2 (Dolphins (via SF)) - WR Paul Cahna, Alabama - Thanks to a prior trade, the Dolphins end up getting the second pick rather than the 49ers. Choosing a perfect fit for this team was much harder, given that choosing a huge reach this early wouldn't be right. I guess here, the Dolphins could have no choice but to draft Paul Cahna with the 2nd pick. While not a huge need, Cahna could give the Dolphins a much better option at WR3, with a chance that Cahna ends up becoming WR2 by the end of the season. Plus, Cahna’s skill set could fit Dean Hammonds’ style of play, making it feel comfortable and creating a new dynamic QB-WR duo in the league. This pick has a lot of risk but a huge reward if it becomes a hit. 

Round 1, Pick 3 (Panthers (via NYJ)) - ILB Kenny Daniel, Wake Forest - Yet another trade. Over the years, we have not seen the top 3 picks chosen by teams other than the top 3. This time, however, it is a team that is clearly in rebuild mode. If this were earlier in the offseason, they would get a running back here, but that would turn out to be a reach, and it would not make sense, given the team traded for Joseph Cale recently. Looking at their roster, the Panthers desperately need some better linebacker depth. That said, the Panthers should look at getting Kenny Daniel. He is the best linebacker in the draft on paper, with a strong combine line that would make this pick too good to pass on for Carolina. 

Round 1, Pick 4 (Giants) - DT Logan Lopez, Houston - The first true pick in the draft comes at number four with the New York Giants. Now, the Giants here can go with two options at this point. They can go for a defensive tackle or a running back. Now, I think they could definitely go running back here, as while they still have John Knighten, he might retire next year. However, I think the smarter choice is to choose Lopez here. Giants have a thin defensive tackle depth, and the one defensive tackle might not be starter-caliber. Logan Lopez is one of the prospects in the upcoming draft, and the Giants should be fortunate to have Lopez fall to number 4. This might make the Giants the owners of one of the best tackle duos for the upcoming season. 

Round 1, Pick 5 (Panthers) - SS Garret Smith, Baylor - The Panthers are once again on the clock, and they have a lot of positions they can try to go for. They could go for an OLB to complete the linebacker duo here, but that seems like a reach. The only two positions I can logically see them going for are either DE or SS. While adding Whit Wilson to a line that already has Caleb Suarez will reach them to new heights on the defensive line, I think Eric Stephens will keep them in good hands for now. That leaves them with Garret Smith. The Panthers only have 1 SS, but I do not think he is a good fit with the young Zack Trawick. Picking Smith is a huge win for the Panthers, as this will give Carolina one of the best young safety duos in the league.

Round 1, Pick 6 (Saints) - CB Rashard Hillard, Georgia State - This was a hard one. We could go with the easy way out and say that the Saints go for a quarterback here, but I have doubts about Maronde being a franchise quarterback, and this pick would be a huge reach. Here, the Saints address their cornerback room. They do have a star cornerback in Medrano, but given their cap situation, his future in New Orleans is very uncertain. I think the Saints decided to go for Rashard Hillard here. Out of the rest of the cornerbacks in this draft, Hillard is the best cornerback in the draft and will fit in with the Saints’ scheme as they seem to run man coverage for their corners. Hillard has a chance to shine in the Big Easy. 

Round 1, Pick 7 (Texans) - QB Hiram Maronde, UCLA - I did say that Maronde going in the Top 10 might as well be a reach, but I think the Texans have no choice here. The Texans somehow have no quarterback on their roster. Clearly, they are trying to make room for what would be their future quarterback. The only logical option for this team is to choose the best quarterback available in the upcoming draft. This is too good for the Texans to pass up on, and if the Texans play their cards right Maronde could be a star over in Houston. That is not a given, but that is a scenario that Houston hopes happens. 

Round 1, Pick 8 (Falcons) - RB Richard Bianchi, Hawaii - The Falcons have bigger needs on their roster, but I do not think choosing anybody left would be a good idea with a pick this early. Alex Hitchens is available, but I don’t think he would be a good fit in Atlanta. Instead, the Falcons look over to the future with this pick, as crazy as it sounds. Wayne Ricketts is a good running back but is in his contract year. Bianchi is another good receiving back. They could draft Bianchi in for Ricketts to mentor and shine in his wake if he leaves. This is a win-win pick for both parties involved. 

Round 1, Pick 9 (Seahawks) - DE Whit Wilson, Oklahoma State - If there is a huge need for the Seahawks at this point, it is the defensive end. They have Paul Huffman and nothing else. Also, Huffman is entering his contract year. Assuming that the Seahawks are probably in win-now mode with an improved offense, this is a good pick that is too good for Seattle to pass up. Putting Whit Wilson on a defensive line that already has Paul Huffman, Alejandro Rua, and Gary Wheeler will give the Seahawks one of the most feared defensive lines for this upcoming season.

Round 1, Pick 10 (Chargers) - OT J’Mon Wolters, Utah - The Chargers’ offensive line is a mess, and this really just goes for the offensive tackles. This is the biggest position of need for the Bolts, and they should not hesitate to pick a tackle in this class. I see them going for best blocker in the offensive tackle class in J’Mon Wolters. On paper, even if he is one of the best tackles in the class, his combine results leave more to be desired. I think the Chargers trade back to choose Wolters. But even choosing here, which is a risk almost to the point of being a reach, the Chargers will be happy to make the selection. 

Round 1, Pick 11 (Jaguars) - CB Sam Voth, Illinois - The consensus now is that Sam Voth goes in the top 10, but I don’t feel the hype for him as much as people say there should be. Not only is there no need for the other ten teams, but his poor showing during the season has also hurt his stock. Luckily, he falls no further as the Jaguars take him to this spot. With Hillard gone, the Jaguars get the next-best corner in the draft. The Jaguars have only three cornerbacks, and I don’t think any are starter caliber. Voth has a chance to be the next star defensive back, starting with becoming a CB1 for the Jaguars.

Round 1, Pick 12 (Jets (via DET)) - ILB Davis Covey, Charlotte - This might sound insane, but I think that it is hard to choose a pick for the New York Jets this late. This mock does not account for trades, leaving them in an awkward spot. I feel like they have no choice but to choose a reach at this position. Luckily, it is a probable 1st-round talent. Mark Kessey’s contract is not only expiring, but also Kessey could retire after this season. Davis Covey could very well fit in the Jets’ scheme for the future. 

Round 1, Pick 13 (Jets (via MIN)) - WR Logan Njoku, Kentucky - Back-to-back trades for the New York Jets. They could easily draft him in the pick before, but Njoku has fallen a lot for where he was slated, and the Jets take the opportunity too good to pass on. Both of the Jets’ top two receivers have expiring contracts, Donald Galligan being the one to leave, and I have doubts about Charles Thomas. I think Njoku could easily be the one to take that spot for the Jets, learning from two great receivers to improve his craft. 

Round 1, Pick 14 (Packers)  - CB Jonathan Parks, Ohio - The last of the A+ grade cornerbacks from the draft is now officially off the table. And when I say that this is a perfect pick for the Packers, I mean it. It seems like the Packers will go for a zone coverage look for their entire secondary. Parks is not the best zone coverage corner on paper, but Parks will improve the secondary with his high catching ability. With this pick, expect a lot of turnovers for the Green Bay defense. 

Round 1, Pick 15 (Browns)  - DE James McKinnon, Miami (OH) - There is one clear weakness for the Cleveland Browns: their defensive line. Although they could further address the tackles, picking one with Lopez gone is a reach. Moreover, there is a bigger problem in the defensive end position. Ernest Morgan is the only starter-caliber player at that position, and the Browns would need another one to play alongside. McKinnon makes a whole lot of sense for Cleveland. Since they want more run stoppers at that position, it is only fitting they take the best run stopper available. 

Round 1, Pick 16 (Ravens)  - OG Alex Hitchens, Arkansas - Baltimore has an offensive line problem. Robert Anderson is a star tackle on their end, but that is just about it. Luckily for them, the Ravens are close to finding their clear-cut gem at this position. Alex Hitchens’ draft stock drastically fell over the course of the combine, but he is still a solid player overall. I think the Ravens get a steal in boosting their offensive guard depth  – perhaps even nabbing a star at one of their biggest needs. 

Round 1, Pick 17 (Patriots)  - DE Ty Bogdanovic, Indiana -  Another team that is weak at the defensive end position. Luckily for them, the defensive end position is huge for the draft this year, and the Patriots will probably get one of the best prospects in the draft in Ty Bogdanovic. Although he is not top-10 caliber, Bogdanovic was a solid player coming out of college. This is big for New England, as they get a great player to pair with Daniel Rojas, who is starting to age for them. 

Round 1, Pick 18 (Bills)  - C Ruben Shazier, Alabama - For the Bills, they have a bunch of stars in the Offensive Line, but there isn’t a good position to address more at this stage of the draft without trading the pick. They could go for an offensive tackle, but I think Marquez Allen would do just fine in helping the offensive line. Fred Garland is currently in the last year of his contract, so I see the Bills addressing these concerns and drafting his possible replacement. And hey, who knows? They could move him to offensive tackle for the time being if needed.

Round 1, Pick 19 (Buccaneers)  - C Rashard Nall, Old Dominion - I think we are seeing a common theme of teams such as the Buccaneers: draft a position to which you don’t have in the first round. The Buccaneers do not have a center right now, which should be the team's top priority. Since the best center is now off the board, the Buccaneers go for the next best center available. This might bite me later, but Tampa has no choice now. 

Round 1, Pick 20 (Eagles)  - ILB Carlos Blacknall, UNC - This might look like a reach on paper, but trust me when I say this will benefit the Eagles in the long run. The Eagles really need an inside linebacker. They already drafted one in the first round last year, but he does not have much of a supporting cast at that position right now. If the Eagles choose Blacknall, it would give them more strength on their defense, and Parady and Blacknall could become a fierce linebacker duo in the process. 

Round 1, Pick 21 (Bears)  - FS Kyle Reimold, Central Michigan - Not having a huge salary cap can leave a lot of holes that make it impossible to decide, and that is the case for the Chicago Bears. They could go for a cornerback at this position, so the stars align for a synergetic cornerback group, but I do not like how Chandler McKay is progressing. Instead, the Bears get Kyle Reimond at this spot. Jerzy Redding is currently in the final year of his contract and is aging, so the Bears get his replacement. They could even move him to cornerback until it is time to pass the torch if they so choose. 

Round 1, Pick 22 (49ers (via TEN))  - QB Andrew Solano, TCU -  Oh boy, the Niners have a lot of holes to fill. They could address the center position, their offensive line is a mess, and their safety could be better. Yet there is one glaring need; that need is the quarterback spot. Brandon Ramirez is far from an NFL-ready quarterback. Here, the Niners find their new face of the franchise. Andrew Solano might not be graded hugely, but he is, in actuality, the second-best quarterback in the draft. 

Round 1, Pick 23 (Lions (via NYJ, CIN))  - WR Trevor Wood, USC - Something that the Lions can consider is an outside linebacker, but I am not feeling this OLB group this year. Another need is the wide receiver position. Victor Villamar is their star but also in his 10th year, and the rest of the group is less than ideal. They could go two ways here. Some people say Marvin Thomas from LSU, but I prefer Trevor Wood. I feel like he has a better skill set for this position. 

Round 1, Pick 24 (Falcons (via LV))  - OG Corey Cabrera, San Jose State - The Falcons really need to improve their offensive line. I feel like the Falcons will choose a player that is the best fit for them. Corey Cabrera actually could work out for the Falcons’ scheme. He is listed as a pass blocker, but I just don’t see Cabrera as a pass blocker. It seems as if Cabrera is a much better choice on the run block, as it is better than his pass block. Some might say this is a questionable move by the Falcons, but it will surprisingly work out, given his skill set. 

Round 1, Pick 25 (Cowboys)  - ILB Joe Yanda, Utah State -  The more you look at this pick, the more it makes sense. The Cowboys don’t seem to have many holes in their team, but I think this move makes sense for Dallas. The Cowboys have Steven Othon as their main inside linebacker, but ILB2 might need an upgrade. Although not necessarily a need for Dallas at this point, the Cowboys end up taking the best player in that position left available.

Round 1, Pick 26 (Dolphins)  - SS Shaq Ryan, Colorado - Again, Miami is a tough team to choose. They can go tight end, but none of the tight ends seem like a first-rounder in my eyes. All other positions seem fine for now, except for one. With his age and contract, Robert Yellowhair is likely on his way out. I think the Dolphins should choose a strong safety to replace him. While this choice is a bit of a reach, Ryan will definitely fit in with whatever scheme the Dolphins go with next year. 

Round 1, Pick 27 (Chiefs)  - WR Arden Ejiofor, Louisiana - For the Chiefs to help new quarterback Theo Scribner, they will look at improving his supporting cast. The Chiefs perhaps take the best receiver available to them. While I am not high on Ejiofor, he really looked great in the combine, and the Chiefs won’t even bother to take him this high. This seems like a risky pick, but I think the Chiefs can make this work. Plus, Ejiofor could fit in many schemes that could fit Scribner’s style of play. 

Round 1, Pick 28 (Cardinals)  - OT Tony Varvaro, Northern Illinois - The Cardinals desperately need an offensive tackle, so they get an offensive tackle as a result. I am surprisingly high on Tony Varvaro. Although his pass blocking could use some work, he has been proven to be an excellent run blocker. There is no doubt in my mind that he will help Thomas Gesick immensely in the run game. Also, given that the other tackle on the roster is also good at the run game, this could work well for Arizona. 

Round 1, Pick 29 (Steelers)  - DE Vince Gresham, Oregon State - For the Steelers, there is no bigger need for them than the defensive end position. This class is filled with great options for this spot, but the top 3 are all gone at this point. The Steelers nab the next best player available at this spot. I think that the Steelers grab a good player in Vince Gresham. He was very good at the run game, with a serviceable pass defense. Although he isn’t the best defensive end at this position, I think the Steelers hit here, pairing him with star Krzysztof Leatherman. 

Round 1, Pick 30 (Jaguars via WAS)  - CB Stanley Alvarez, LSU - It might seem ridiculous to see a talented player such as Stanley Alvarez drop down this low, but there is no other team that is willing to take a man coverage cornerback here until this point. This will end up being a huge steal for the Jaguars. Some people think that Alvarez will be a better player than Rasaul Hilliard, but I don’t think that Alvarez is as good at this point in time. Jaguars fans should start thinking about the idea of Alvarez and Voth terrorizing offenses for years to come. 

Round 1, Pick 31 (Jaguars via LAR)  - OLB Beau Martin, Alabama - Another team with back-to-back picks. Now that the Jaguars have addressed their cornerback situation, this team can go for anything at this point. They can bolster their defensive line, but it is too early. They could go for a tight end, but that would be a huge reach. Although they could go for an inside linebacker here, they should go for Beau Martin. He is an outside linebacker rather than an inside linebacker, but Kirk Ridley is almost at the end of his contract, and I don’t think the Jaguars would want to risk with his age. The Jaguars get his replacement one year early. 

Round 1, Pick 32 (Chargers via CAR, DEN)  - WR Nick Jones, Penn State - As fitting as it is, the draft with the first pick that has been through multiple hands also has the last pick that has gone through such. Although they should be focusing on their defensive line, there are no enticing picks, so they go instead to their weak receiving core. They could go for either Sean Plutko or Nick Jones. I think they lean towards Nick Jones since he did better at the combine. Paired with the outgoing Keith Davis, Jones could be in the making for a new star in LA. 

This is what I believe to be the first round of the NFL Draft this year. A lot of great names are going out in the first round this year. If you want to see how we think the rest of the year is going to go, we have a full list of how we think the draft will go here. Although we do not have explanations for these picks, we do put these picks on the same basis as I did for my picks. Check it out!

MORE LIKE THIS:

NFL Trade Tracker: Closing pick of 1st round traded yet again, Gregory moves to Windy City

Howard Wen on Elite Eight implosion against Air Force: "Disappointing." 

Is there anyone that will stop the Atlanta Hawks in their tracks? 

Way to early Top 25 for the upcoming CFB season, according to our metrics

Women's Final Four preview: Who will come out on top? Our experts weigh in

Just a shocker: Reactions from Roma upset over Liverpool in UCL quarterfinals

NBA Power Rankings: Bulls slip again, Nuggets stand tall

Men's March Madness: Experts way in on who they think will make the Final Four

Edited by nemolee.exe
  • Like 1

• nemolee.exe changed the title to [2024] NSNN Official 2024 NFL Mock Draft