Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

2024 | Top 10 Mid-Major Programs Expected to Elevate Next Season

TuscanSota

Hey all,

I'm going to do a quick series on some of the top mid-major programs I'm expecting to be more competitive in 2024. The teams I'm considering for this list are programs that joined the league in 2023. That is my only criteria. This means no Big East, WCC, or A10 programs. I am also using recruiting rankings as a heavy modifier for this article.

One common theme I've noticed from these classes is the fact that teams appeared to recruit one position only at a time. Whether there's a dearth of that position out of the gate, I'll need to observe and resolve. Either way, let's begin.

10. Western Carolina Catamounts

The SoCon regular season champions Western Carolina are our #10 rising mid-major to start our list. Graduating out is SF Robert Astorga, C Veronika Burcham and SG Wei Carlos; in arrives PG Liam Adams, PF David Jarrel, and 4 Star PG Peter Dedon. What the Catamounts lose in interior drives next season, they improve on through ball handling and perimeter shooting. I'm expecting a sophomore slump for WCU next season; but I am expecting this program to be even better in 2025 given this current class.

9. Cleveland State Vikings

When 4 Star SF John Falco signee was asked if Cleveland was a State, he answered: "It's a state of mind." Okay, now that I made that joke I can look at Cleveland State seriously. This Horizon League program brought in two international recruits: Falso from Turkey, and SF Ramiro Rightetti from chile. Outside of the signed jewel that is Falco, this Vikings class overall brings in three freshmen with a variety of talent across the board. Falco's layup is exceptional and the fact that Cleveland State signed him should say volumes on how other Mid-majors and P6 schools missed on recruiting this player; and Righetti, while not much now, bears a lot of potential. The other signee, PF Daniel Fischer, is good at rebounding outright. Cleveland State went #2 in the Horizon League this season with a currently 14-15 record and next season should break away from the parity that was absolutely huge in this conference.

8. Nicholls State Colonels

Nicholls is our first Southland team on this list and I'm honestly surprised with how they landed a four star player, SF Roy Dunman. The player is objectively good in the paint and with guarding the perimeter, and the program also signed two 3 star PGs Jose Ferral and Yogesh Rahman, each with a good midrange jumper. For a school that behaved really conservative last season in recruiting, it was surprising to me that they landed a highly touted recruit. I guess anything can happen especially for a Southland school in Louisiana!

7. Columbia Lions

An Ivy League team makes this list and the Columbia Lions add three players that immediately add an interior presence to next year's team. Columbia lucked out of the Ivy League tournament with a 12-16 record but should have an immediate offensive impact next season. Incoming SF Robert Garrison signed onto Columbia to pursue an Neuroscience degree but will also be on the court next season to make an impact for the Lions. The floor for these three freshman are low, but the potential for this class is exponentially high.

6. Florida A&M Rattlers

The Rattler's were one of the top teams in the SWAC this past season with a 17-12 ranking (as of writing) and are my 6th rising team on my list. Florida A&M snagged two four stars from this recruiting class that should add an immediate impact especially through their rebound ability. Center Charles Pearce and SF Thomas Jefferson appear to be caliber players in their own rite and with their immediate defensive impact should make competition in the SWAC more competitive. The only thing that can't be said is their shooting capability.

5. UC Santa Barbara Gauchos

The #6 Seeded Big West Team from both my preseason ranking's and Wahoo's preseason rankings is getting a huge boost. Like, going from 300th overall to likely higher once progressions are done. The Gauchos are retaining their top offensive options C David Meeks and C Jeffrey Borland and bring in two four stars and a three star. 4 star PF Mark Anderson immediately adds a mid-range and interior shooting option for the Gauchos and four star PG Glenn Radwan has a remarkable three point shot that adds some variety to what will likely be a towering Gauchos team next season. Next season won't be easy for UCSB in the Big West, considering that current giants UC Irvine and Hawaii are also present. What we can expect is the Gauchos to improve on their 6-22 season total.

4. Texas A&M Commerce Lions

The Lions are the second Southland team on this list that will be competitive immediately. With signing 4 star SF David Yap, the Lions immediately have another player who can actually shoot on their team. The Lions went 13-16 this past season and were mediocre in conference play, only to be beaten out by #1 seeded Northwestern State 70-58. Their top scorer PF Edgar Koontz is returning, but I don't think that really adds much to their program.

3. Saint Peter's Peacocks

Outside of scaring Kentucky fans, Saint Peter's is building their program around three four stars: Adam Hundrieser, Jeffrey Merlino, and Michael Husby Merlino and Husby should be effective right out the gate, with Husby specializing better with ballwork capability. With no other user team within the MAAC one could expect the Peacocks to be more competitive with these players especially long term, considering that while the floor for these players is high, their growth ceiling doesn't appear as so.

2. Illinois State Redbirds

I'm considering #2 and #1 on this list to be fairly close together, considering that the two teams are user-coached teams. With that said, @Ape is building up the Redbirds program and fast. Three new players enter the program, and each is a four star or higher. All three are expected to be getting starting minutes on the court next season, with five star PG Avery Johnson about to be the biggest name on campus. Everything's looking up for Illinois State, especially in conference play in the MVC, as they are projected to beat their previous season record at 9-20.

1. Vermont Catamounts

Vermont beats out the Redbirds for the #1 spot likely due to the fact that they have four recruits. While no five stars have signed with the catamounts, Vermont is bringing in three 4 star croots -- all ironically SF's. I blame the AI on this though. Whether they will have a rotation or will play out of position remains to be seen; but what can ultimately be said now is that Vermont will have a stronger presence near the paint next season. 3 Star PF Steven Malone rounds out this class and should have a good interior defensive capability and should be with the program for multiple seasons. In the AEC currently dominated by UMBC, Vermont is rising as a dark horse contender. What I'm really excited about is seeing where @iToxicKiddy takes the Catamounts in recruiting next season

Other Notable Teams:

Montana State, North Carolina Central, Southeast Louisiana, UC Riverside, East Tennessee State, Austin Peay

• Like 3

It's got to be Jacksonville, right? I mean they've recruited an entire top 100 defense out of their class this year. Offense and returning players are ok, but man they're gonna make some noise. 

4 hours ago, TuscanSota said:

2. Illinois State Redbirds

I'm considering #2 and #1 on this list to be fairly close together, considering that the two teams are user-coached teams. With that said, @Ape is building up the Redbirds program and fast. Three new players enter the program, and each is a four star or higher. All three are expected to be getting starting minutes on the court next season, with five star PG Avery Johnson about to be the biggest name on campus. Everything's looking up for Illinois State, especially in conference play in the MVC, as they are projected to beat their previous season record at 9-20.

13 stars coming in, my entire team this year had a combined 14 stars, if we don’t get better I’m firing myself.