Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2024] Indiana CB Marco Gurka on his slow rise to stardom

gurka.jpg.eb975eaeafd854fcf73fb8d972a8f951.jpg

(BLOOMINGTON, IND) 22 players race across the screen – red and white jerseys interspersed in a frenzy of activity. A lone figure stands with the football, unperturbed, bouncing on the balls of his feet. He steps into a deep throw, completing a long pass down the sideline to an open receiver. A defender finally races into view, pushing his opponent out of bounds. The players freeze in place, then reverse, transported backward in time to the snap as the room reviews the footage again.

The game in question was a 34-6 thumping by Wisconsin, the 3rd straight loss of what would become a 6-game skid. The disappointment of that 4-8 season clings to the Indiana football program like a thick fog; only one year previously they won a bowl game and brought home the B1G Defensive Player of the Year and Coach of the Year honors. Now the players and staff are huddled together in a dark room, trying to understand how it all went wrong.

“That’s a great call against our Cover 2”, the secondary coach begins. “Let’s think about how we can disguise that look against this package, and then we’ll talk about execution”.

Marco Gurka sits front and center, his notebook open; several lines are already scrawled on this page, his pencil racing to keep up with the lesson. He completed his assignment perfectly on this play, but there’s always more to learn.

The former 3-star recruit from Hastings, MI has slowly worked his way up the depth chart over the last two seasons, thanks to both his play on the field and his dedication to analyzing film. In 2022 he played at nickelback after outperforming several upperclassmen in the spring, and learned everything he could from those in front of him. When Dominic Hollis-Jefferson graduated, Gurka moved into a starting role as CB2. He had a modest season according to the stat sheet: 31 tackles (up from 17 the year before), 3 passes defended, 1 interception. But his unit struggled.

“That first year it kinda felt like we were playin' with house money,” Gurka said in an interview. As he talked, he looked at a framed photo of himself, Hollis-Jefferson, and Stephen Hernandez celebrating after their Gasparilla Bowl victory in 2022. “Nobody really knew what to expect with a new coach, so we just went out there and tried to make things happen. That next year, in a starting role, with more eyes on me...it definitely felt different.”

And a year later, things have changed again. Hernandez is waiting to hear his name called on draft day, and now Gurka is the established veteran whom the newer recruits look up to. So there’s no surprise when his voice is the first to break the silence in the film room.

The Indiana defense is not expected to be the strength of the team this year, to put it kindly. While there are a few notable stars like Gurka, several starters and almost all the depth will be freshmen and sophomores recruited by coach @Piercewise1. Between the lack of experience and the installation of a completely new scheme, most pundits expect the unit to have some growing pains. But here on campus, there’s a feeling that patience will be rewarded in time.

“Yeah, there’s a new playbook and a lot of new faces”, Gurka continued. “But wherever we’re starting from, we’re doing it together – growing together, learning together, improving together. And even though it’s my last year, a lot of these guys will have more time to keep going and get it right. And I think with coach’s help, they will.”

Asked if he would wish for more time on the team to help the defense realize its potential, Gurka was content. “Nah, I’ve had my time here at Indiana, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. There’s other guys waiting to come up, just like I waited my turn. But you can bet I’ll keep watching on Saturdays, cheering my new brothers on.”

Of course, his time isn’t up yet. There’s a season of football still to be played and, no matter the outlook, expect Gurka to make the most of it. He’s been preparing for a long time.

Marco Gurka – Cornerback
(A/A)

Zone Coverage: A+
Football IQ: A+
Strength: A+
Speed: B+
Agility: A
Tackle: B