Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2023] Week 3 POTW

Week 3 POTW

C Henry Gonzales, UCI, SR, 4*, A Overall

20 Points, 6 Rebounds, 1 Assist, 3 Steals, 2 Blocks in an 89-65 W vs Jacksonville

25 Points, 14 Rebounds in a 75-73 W vs Florida Gulf Coast

21 Points, 10 Rebounds, 1 Steal, 3 Blocks in a 75-56 W vs #21 Miami (FL)

34 Points, 7 Rebounds 2 Assists, 1 Steal, 1 Block in an 85-72 W vs Washington State

March Madness 2019: UC Irvine is a really dangerous Cinderella -  SBNation.com

Congratulations, Henry, on being named the Week 3 National Player of the Week! It's an incredible honor. How does it feel to have your efforts recognized on a national scale?

It feels great. It's not just me, but everybody working together. James (Taylor), Jeff (Reber), RIchy (Milbourne), Bell, and the rest of the guys. Everyone is balling out, which takes pressure off me and lets me do my thing, you know. We've been disrespected in the polls early in the season, and I think we've put ourselves on the map with our wins. So your question was wrong. You should have asked how it feels to have OUR efforts recognized on a national scale. Feels. Great.

Let's talk about your performance in those four remarkable games. You had some outstanding stat lines. What was the key to your success?

Like I said man, my teammates. They did the heavy lifting to get me into the right positions. I not only bet on myself, but also bet on my teammates to have my back. Uh, to clarify, that's like a figurative betting, ok? i dont bet on games or anything.

Anyway, coach has us working and learning together, so that's what we're doing. That's our key to success

Facing Florida Gulf Coast, you scored 25 points and grabbed 14 rebounds, leading the team to a close 75-73 win. How did you stay composed in such a tight game, and what was going through your mind during the closing moments? 

We just kept playing the game we wanted to play. They forced us into a game we weren't as accustomed to midway through. At the half, coach told us to breath, go back to fundamentals, and do what we practiced all week. Coach then left for the last 5 minutes of half time, and let the seniors take over. They played us to the wire, but we showed them the Anteater spirit.

Beating #21 Miami (FL) with a 21-point, 10-rebound performance must have been a significant achievement. How did you prepare for such a challenging matchup?

We knew Miami would be really tough going in. We didn't have a whole lot of time to practice leading up to that match up, but we mostly knew their strengths. They would kick it to Benny (Benjamin Fritts) or have Doug (Douglas Hughes) drive into the lane. So we did a lot of isolation to try to get them away from the ball. They kept it real close into the 2nd half, but after that, our suffocating defense took over, and the 3pters fell for us. The rest is history.

Looking ahead, what are your goals for the rest of the season, both individually and as a team?

Obviously, we want to win it all. Nothing more, nothing less. That's all I want. We're all bought in, and we're all pushing together as a unit. 

Lastly, Henry, what message do you have for aspiring basketball players and UCI fans who look up to you?

Keep doing your thing, surround yourself with good people, and keep shooting your shot! Also, it's fuc- wait can I curse on here? sorry. Freaking great to be an Anteater!

This article was written with the help of @subsequent

Week 1 POTW - PG William Smith, SJU

Week 2 POTW - SG Jeffrey Luedtke, MIAF

• Like 1