Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

Wahoo's Comprehensive Preseason CBB Preview: Part 1

Welcome to Wahoo’s comprehensive CBB season preview. We will be going over my preseason Top 25, national awards predictions, top 10 games to watch, conference rankings, all-conference teams, and projected postseason seeds. 

Some disclaimers to start: my team rankings and award predictions are based on the proprietary Wahoo Ability Ranking model (WAR™). Through a top-secret formula, I assign each player a rating. My formula has different weightings based on what I view as more or less important. These weightings are different from Tuscan’s weightings, and likely different from what you would choose. My weightings do tilt towards offensive ability over other factors, so you will often see teams with a few great shooters outrank teams with great defense or many average shooters. Players are also not ranked based only on their Overall rating; there are many situations where a C overall is rated higher than a B overall based on their individual attributes. The top 8 players on a team contribute to a team’s ranking, with a heavier weighting on the starting 5. I do not account for positions; I assume that most teams will find a gameplan that will work to get their best players on the court. However, a team’s ranking could theoretically be made up of 5 centers, which would obviously not be a valid lineup. AI teams may also not value their players the same way I do and default to different gameplans and lineups. However, I do believe my system gives a general sense of the talent that would be playing for each team. And if you disagree, then make your own formula!

Let’s get into it, starting with the preseason top 25, conference strength, national awards.

Preseason Top 25

Preseason Top 25

Villanova

Big East

Army

Patriot

San Francisco

West Coast

Colorado State

Mountain West

Wisconsin

Big 10

Kansas

Big 12

Purdue

Big 10

South Alabama

Sun Belt

UC Irvine

Big West

Utah

PAC 12

Eastern Michigan

MAC

Davidson

Atlantic 10

Iowa State

Big 12

Fresno State

Mountain West

UMBC

America East

Southern Miss

Sun Belt

BYU

Big 12

Buffalo

MAC

Baylor

Big 12

Western Michigan

MAC

Missouri

SEC

Pittsburgh

ACC

Wyoming

Mountain West

Seton Hall

Big East

Navy

Patriot

There is a great diversity of conferences amongst the preseason Top 25 with 14 different conferences having at least one team ranked. The Big 12 leads the way with 4 teams ranked, followed by the MAC and Mountain West with 3. The Big 10 is the only conference to put 2 teams into the Top 10. The Big East, Patriot League, and Sun Belt also have multiple ranked teams. 

Villanova and Army lead the way in the top 2 positions, being some of the few schools with 3 A-rated players on their roster. Villanova gets the nod with a bevy of support behind their top 3 players, while Army’s roster is noticeably thinner in depth. No team is more top loaded than San Francisco, though. A nation-leading 4 A-rated players don the Dons jersey, but there is little else on the roster that shows promise. How much of a drop off will we see in SF’s play when their stars aren’t on the court? Colorado State could have the best 1-2 punch in the country with Jr. C Andree Mann, a projected first-team All-American, and (Sr.) SF Jules Stillwell, a projected second-team All-American. Army is the only other squad with 2 players on the projected All-American teams, placing Jr. PF Jack Beckmann on the first-team and Sr. PG Reginald Gray on the third-team. Wisconsin rounds out the preseason Top 5 with 2 A overalls backed up by plenty of support.

Conference Strength

The Big 12 may have more preseason ranked teams, but the ACC looks to be the most competitive conference overall. Only Pittsburgh cracked the Top 25 at #22, but 9 other teams rank inside the Top 65. With Virginia ranked at 75, the ACC could feasibly have 11 teams competing for tournament bids. However, my pick for best conference in the nation would go to the MAC. Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, and Western Michigan all rank in the Top 25, Bowling Green just missed the cut at #26, and a total of 7 teams are in the Top 60. This conference features 2 projected All-Americans and Toledo, a team with 3 A overalls that projects at 6th (!) in the conference. The MAC conference champion will have certainly earned their title at the end of the season.

Conference

Highest Ranked

Lowest Ranked

Average

ACC

MAC

Sun Belt

Mountain West

Big Ten

Pac-12

WCC

Big East

SEC

American

Big 12

A10

C-USA

AEC

Summit League

Patriot

WAC

ASUN

Big West

Big South

NEC

MVC

Big Sky

SoCon

SWAC

Colonial Athletic

OVC

Horizon League

Ivy League

Southland

MEAC

Independent

MAAC

National Awards

First Team All-Americans

PF Christopher Merlo

Jr

Nebraska

C Henry Gonzales

Sr

UC Irvine

PF Jack Beckmann

Jr

Army

SF Jonathan Hughes

Sr

Colorado

C Andre Mann

Jr

Colorado State

Second Team All-Americans

PF Felipe Raymond

Sr

UTEP

C Christopher Netninn

Jr

Bowling Green

C Jose Guadian

Sr

Syracuse

SF Jules Stillwell

(Sr)

Colorado State

PG William Smith

Sr

St. John’s

Third Team All-Americans

C Robert Lampe

Jr

UMBC

SF Glenn Everett

Jr

Central Michigan

PG Reginald Gray

Sr

Army

SF Craig Bennett

Jr

Iowa State

PF Aziz Chea

Sr

South Carolina

Wooden Award Winner

PF Christopher Merlo

Jr

Nebraska

All-Freshman Team

SF Matthew Cooper

Fr

Tulane

PF Giovanni Giorgio

Fr

South Alabama

C Shankar Chen

Fr

West Virginia

PF Jesse Strickland

Fr

Georgetown

SF Andy Le

Fr

Seattle

We have talked a lot about the collections of star power at the top teams in the country, but the best player in the nation may reside on a team that will be right on the bubble. Jr. PF Christopher Merlo will look to carry a Nebraska team dangerously thin on depth to the promised land. The only knocks on Merlo’s game is his tendency to be a little loose with the ball, but he makes up for it by excelling in all other categories of the game. While Merlo is our pick for best overall player, Colorado State’s (Sr.) SF Jules Stillwell is the best pure scorer. Stillwell can knock down a shot from anywhere on the court and has the skills to dribble to the rim if the defense isn’t ready. He takes some time off on defense but is still able to stay with the best players. With Jr. C Andre Mann also garnering a lot of the defense’s attention, Stillwell should have plenty of opportunities to rack up his box score stats.

Top 10 Games to Watch

10. Army at Navy - Week 13

9. Eastern Michigan at Western Michigan - Week 10

8. Wisconsin at Baylor - Week 2

7. UMBC at San Francisco - Week 12

6. South Alabama at Davidson - Week 5

5. Colorado State at Fresno State - Week 13

4. Utah at Kansas - Week 3

3. Wisconsin at UC Irvine - Week 1

2. Wisconsin at Purdue - Week 13

1. Villanova at Kansas - Week 5

• Like 5