Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2023] Rivalry Week Previews

In the spirit of rivalry week and the last regular season football games I decided to do some quick previews of the more interesting games on the slate. Lots of big games with big implications along with long standing rivalries.

Saturday Morning Slate

Saturday morning kicks us off with 8 games. The highlights in my eyes are probably Purdue-Indiana, and  Mississippi State - Ole Miss.

Purdue - Indiana

The battle of two mid teams, but two powerhouse users. Purdue comes into this game 6-5 and looking to return closer to 2021 playoff form than last year's 4-win squad. Touted freshman QB Laasko wasn't quite able to hold onto his starting chances and Ankou has played alright. I'm looking forward to next year's QB battle between the two. Mike Bates is the real offensive engine of this team and they are about what you'd expect: an above-average B1G team that is waiting for their stacked recruiting classes to get on campus and start progressing. 

Indiana in contrast is 4-7 and already bowl-ineligible. This game for them is 100% about in-state bragging rights and showing up those nerds in West Lafayette. They don't have as much talent on the roster and a pretty poor QB situation. Interestingly they're running an experiment with RB Geoff Albuquerque at WR1. Sadly they're near the bottom of the conference in offense but have a pretty good defense. The brightest spot of the future is RS FR WR Looney who I think will be a star.

I foresee Indiana having a tough time generating offense this week, and Purdue taking it with a final score of ~20-10.

Mississippi State - Ole Miss

The Egg Bowl! This actually should be a very close game between a pair of 7-4 teams that should be in the receiving votes category. Ole Miss has had a great run on the crooting trail and is looking to show that their blue chips are making the right decision as they'll probably end up ranked with a win tomorrow. In contrast, Mississippi State has a new coach this season and he is looking to get a statement win over their in-state rivals.

Prediction: 30-27 Ole Miss

Saturday Afternoon Slate

Tulsa - Nevada

This is... an interesting game to see during rivalry week. But it's also an incredibly important game for those two. Nevada is sneaking up the rankings and is just about guaranteed to make the playoffs with a win (and a MWC win next week). A trip up here means their playoff hopes are no longer in their control. Tulsa is almost in the same situation. They are slightly lower in the rankings after Having some QB drama earlier this season, but have been rolling off the wins and sit at 9-2 now. A win here and then in the (possible) AAC championship game could actually be enough to sneak into the playoffs as long as they aren't unlucky with other results. I think this is a really balanced matchup as well. I think this is probably 50-50, but despite Ace's patented pessimism I think they pull out a narrow win: 

27-24 TULSA

Tennessee - Vanderbilt

I mostly just wanted to pick more than 1 game per time slot. This won't be close: Vanderbilt Delenda Est. Look for a lot of backups to get playing time.

Vols by a million

Saturday Evening Slate

Florida - Florida State

I still think Florida State is a top-5 talented team. Of course having 3 A overall CBs isn't going to matter much against Florida's double wing attack but I just don't see Florida having enough playmakers to take it. Worth tuning in to see a fun rivalry matchup but I think the Noles have this in the bag.

35-14 FSU

Kentucky - Louisville

Louisville has had a rough year, going from playoff team to 5-6. This rivalry game is their chance to be bowl eligible. On the flip side, Kentucky is trying to cap off their year with a rivalry revenge win and stomping on the Cardinals bowl hopes. Kentucky has been up and down and a loss would end up consigning them to a disappointing 7-5 season. A win though would get them to 8-4 and represent some real progress from last season and springboard them into next season. Louisville is dangerous, and I think they have a punchers chance, but I see Dupree ending his career in Lexington with a statement game.

37-24 Kentucky

TCU - Baylor

This would be THE game of the week just about any week of the year (although this week it's game 1b on the schedule). TCU is a top-3, undefeated team but has skated by each week without ever really blowing anyone out. However their team is STACKED with talent and I honestly believe they could beat anybody. Baylor though has Travis Knebel and is not half bad on their own. TCU has their spot in the CCG locked up and likely a playoff spot already. Baylor has no margin for error. They won't be in the CCG, but with a win here would actually lock up an at-large playoff berth. I think Baylor could win, but I'm going to roll with precedent and say that TCU pulls out another style-less win

23-20 TCU

CMU - WMU

This is a decisive game for the MAC. CMU can lock in a spot in the CCG with a win here and salvage a relatively disappointing season. WMU unfortunately can't reach the CCG, but they CAN reach their 6th win and bowl eligibility with a win. OG Torres is a step down from Scribner (obviously), but he is still more clutch than CMU's Brandon Alexander who has single handedly tossed away a few wins and CMU's playoff chances. Unfortunately I think he'll still be enough to beat the Broncos.

34-21 CMU

Georgia - Georgia Tech

This game just got interesting with new GT coach clawton releasing some hype-up media for Clean Old-Fashioned Hate. I like Sarge, Outman, and have a lot of respect for the UGA team, but they have shown some weaknesses this year, and I think GT and Landrum are well-positioned to take advantage of it. I will be anxiously watching this game but I have a feeling this might be an upset as UGA seems to have turned the page to start focusing on 2024 already.

42-35 GT

Saturday Night Slate

Utah - BYU

The Holy War is not maybe a national game, but a fun look into the state of Utah. BYU is still waiting for Dick Richards to show up and save them, while Utah is looking to continue showing progress after inheriting one of the worst rosters in the country. I'll be proud of whichever team pulls this off.

24-14 BYU

UCLA - USC

THE game of the week, and one of the candidates for game of the year. We've got two playoff contenders and two Heisman candidates. Maronde vs. Longacre. Jacobs vs. Skyhawk. Westwood vs. University Park. Both teams are offensive powerhouses but I'm not sold on their defensive bonafides. They've given up a lot of points to some average teams and I think this will be a track meet of a game. I am going to stick with my favorites and say UCLA will take the dub (and knock USC out of the playoff race and put Colorado in the PAC CCG). But this will be a close one.

49-44 UCLA

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kwheele said:

Really? The battle for Paul Bunyon's Axe isn't considered a rivalry game?

I'm gonna have to agree here. One of the oldest and most storied Rivalries in all of College football. 

Plus where is the Civil war on this list? Oregon-Oregon State game is a classic and has an extremely passionate following in each fan base... way better rivalry game than watching the pre-Hollywood elites in Los Angeles

3 hours ago, kwheele said:

Really? The battle for Paul Bunyon's Axe isn't considered a rivalry game?

Tbh I didn’t have the patience to do all of them, and not to be mean but uh,,, I didn’t think it would be that competitive