Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2023] Reviewing the Previews: Grading My Preseason Predictions

The conclusion of week 9 brings us to the halfway point of the season, so it’s time to look back on my Division Preview series and see where I went right (and horribly wrong) in my predictions. I’ve changed the order to put the conferences together.

AFC North

Best take: “We could have some exciting offensive performances from the [Bengals].” They’re tied for 5th in points per game, averaging just under 31, and the team is 6-3.

Worst take: “Cleveland looks like a strong contender for a playoff push and maybe even a division title.” Not remotely; the Browns are 3-6, good enough for last in the division and 12th in the conference. The defense that kept them competitive last year is giving up 24.8 points per game.

Overall grade: D. Saying “don’t underestimate” the Steelers is a far cry from their 9-0 start, and I didn’t predict the Ravens having a winning record either. Other than the Cincinnati offense I pretty much missed on everything.

AFC East

Best take: “The playoff window might already be closing for the [Patriots].” They’re under .500 in a conference that could see a 10-win team miss the playoffs, and have several tough opponents still on the schedule (LAR, @LV, CIN, @PIT).

Worst take: The Dolphins might already be looking ahead to next year “if they don’t get the on-field results they expect.”  I predicted a 3-way divisional race and highlighted their additional 1st round pick in 2024, but right now they’re 5-3 and in a tight race for the final wild card. 

Overall grade: B-. The Bills are good but not for the reasons I predicted (Ascencio is 12th in yards but has a 9-13 TD-INT ratio), and having the Jets 4th was a gimme because they were AI controlled for so long. Not terrible, but not great.

AFC South

Best take: “The Texans look like an early candidate for the #1 overall pick.” Houston is 0-8, and only one loss has been by fewer than 14 points. Only the 0-9 Colts have looked worse.   

Worst take: Even before the fire sale, the Jaguars didn’t perform like “one of the premier teams in the AFC”. They started the year 4-4, which was bad enough that ownership completely packed it in and started selling at the trade deadline to stockpile future picks.

Overall grade: B. I was very wrong about the Jaguars, but the other 3 were pretty close (though I undersold the Titans). Not a high degree of difficulty given how close they are to prior year, but I’m taking my wins where I can get them.

AFC West

Best take: Las Vegas “could see some shootouts” due to a great offense and suspect defense, but should still be pretty good. So far they’ve had wins of 27-24 (twice), 34-27, and 29-28 to go with a 41-24 loss.  

Worst take: Kansas City fans “might have to be patient if they’re rooting for a non-cellar finish.” The Chiefs are 5-3 with some quality wins, like being the only team to defeat the Titans thus far.

Overall grade: A-. I called most of the movement correctly – I was high on the Raiders, low on the Chargers, and thought the Chiefs were improving. Everything just happened much faster and in a more extreme fashion than I predicted.     

NFC North

Best take: The Lions would compete for a playoff spot. I was wrong about Hansen being much improved (he’s under 50% completions with a 6-13 TD-INT ratio), but the defense has dragged the team to a 4-4-1 record which puts them close to that coveted 7-seed.

Worst take: The Vikings “might [have] some growing pains” after trading away two of their best players. In fact they’re tied for the division lead at 5-4, and it’s actually their defense doing most of the heavy lifting.

Overall grade: C-. That might seem harsh, but: I really thought the Bears would be head and shoulders above the rest, Hansen hasn’t been leading the charge for the Lions, the Vikings are good sooner than I expected, and the Packers’ victories are against teams who are currently a combined 3-22. So pretty much all of my specific predictions were wrong.

NFC East

Best take: “The Scrambler buffs should do wonders for Philly’s offense”; even battling injuries, they’re averaging over 25 points per game. Granted, I wasn’t expecting their  defense to give up just as many.

Worst take: The Giants “have the talent to compete”. I said they wouldn’t be a playoff team, but I wasn’t expecting a 1-6-1 record and a -106 point differential.

Overall grade: C+. Washington’s a gimme, and I thought the Cowboys “should compete for a post-season spot” (currently #6). But I thought Philadelphia’s young defense would be better, and New York is a complete surprise.

NFC South

Best take: That the Saint’s 2nd-place schedule would be too tough for them. They’re currently 2-6 including a loss against the Rams, and are averaging only 17 points per game.

Worst take: “I think the Falcons improve on their win total this year.” They are 2-7 after a 6-win season a year ago, and have five losses of 30+ points.

Overall grade: B. I wasn’t high on any team coming into the year (though I really thought the Falcons would be improved), and so far none have dissuaded me from that notion.

NFC West

Best take: “[Arizona’s] offense should be the envy of the league.” They are 3rd in the NFL at 35.7 points per game…good enough for second in their division as well.  

Worst take: The Seahawks would get burned by their schedule. While they’ve come back to earth after a 3-0 start, they did beat fellow third-place finisher Minnesota in week 2.

Overall grade: B+. Nothing too difficult here with a mostly status-quo standing, but I predicted the Rams would have a chance to win the division (they are currently tied with the Cardinals at 8-1) and that the 49ers would have a top-3 pick (they traded their 2024 1st, but would currently be 3rd in the order).  

Conclusion: Making predictions is tough, even in simulated sports. What teams have surprised you the most this year?

• Like 2
  • Fire 2