Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

2023 | Preseason Preview | ACC

Hey everyone,

I'm going to go through conferences with user teams, and we're going to start at the very beginning once again. I think the quality will be back to normal; and having to think of something to say for new teams that are going to have a rough time isn't really cutting it. Here is my preview for the ACC this season:

15. 320px-Miami_Hurricanes_logo.svg.png Miami Hurricanes | Ovr.: 169 | Off.: 165 | Def.: 180

This may not be Miami's year - quite yet. Last year's team went 18-15 (11-9 in conference) and left the NIT in the semifinals. This team is going to be very well in the paint - htey ahve three playamkers that net them points near the basket (Sr SF Douglas Hughes, Sr SF Benjamin Fritts, Jr C Wade Zheng). Jr PG Richard Beck I'd argue is the team's best midrange shooter and will be making a majority of the Hurricane's 3pt shots.  This team on the defense is fairly balanced and should do well on the perimeter given who I think will be in the starting rotation. Coach cultur3 also brought in four 4 star recruits including a number of C's that could see some form of playtime. Of the four, Fr C Geoffrey Barwick has very good rebounding skills that I think will earn him minutes in the Hurricanes' rotation. They will need all the rebounding they can get. Last place is a tough spot to be predicted in, but I reckon the Hurricanes will move up.

14. 200px-Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_logo.svg.png Notre Dame Fighting Irish | Ovr.: 124 | Off.: 109 | Def.: 115

Last year's #1 overall seed, and the biggest culprit to last year's upset. The Fighting irish fell from grace last season after a devastating loss to the #16 seed LT Bulldogs. 24-8 in the regular season, won the ACC conference; and left the tournament earlier than anticipated. The Fighting Irish will find themselves rebuilding after that loss, and it could be a rough year for them. This year's squad has a couple of formidable mid-range shooters like Jr PF Alex Covarrubias and Jr PG Larry Erickson - both are okay on defense, but Notre Dame will be relying on Sr C Paul Campbell for protection near the basket. Last year's Coach @Coach123 brought in four freshman to this year's squad including Fr PG Dion Williams, who I think will be a versatile option on offense. Plenty remains to be seen, but it's going to be a long road if Notre Dame wants to repeat the conference championship run.

13. 177px-Syracuse_Orange_logo.svg.png Syracuse Orange | Ovr.: 120 | Off.: 83 | Def.: 150

Last year's Oranges weren't ripe for the season. As in, they were 14th in the conference and had a 11-18 record. No playoffs, no NIT, no nothing. This year's team is projected to be near the same talent level; although I'd assume that this team will go Jumbo - we're talking five Center's on this team, including some of the best defenders. Sr C Jose Guadian is a projected 1st round pick next season with his defensive capabilities and lay-up skills. Jr C Lawrence Sawyer is another excellent option on both sides of the ball. This team will need to heavily rely on these two if they want to improve on last season and make at least 13th in the conference.

12. 248px-Virginia_Cavaliers_wordmark.svg.png Virginia Cavaliers | Ovr.: 117 | Off.: 117 | Def.: 103

@Wahoo is back! Virginia has their coach once again, and will need his coaching abilities to compete in the ACC. Last year's squad missed the playoffs with a 15-14 (10-10 conf) record, not enough for the NIT. This year's squad may be different. 5 star Sophomore PG Derrick Morehead is one of the team's best options, and the Cavs supporting cast will likely be Sr SF Michael Stokes, Jr C Mark Courtney, Sr SG Brian Banken, and Sr SF Daniel Palos. The Cavs have some freshman that could enter rotation such as Fr PG Jabari Diall - a PG with an amazing jumper. The Cavs may stick to a smaller rotation; but the future looks bright for the Cavaliers.

11. 189px-North_Carolina_State_University_Athletic_logo.svg.png NC State Wolf Pack | Ovr.: 110 | Off.: 133 | Def.: 77

NC State left the playoffs very early last season and though they went 16-14, they're projected for #11 this season. The reason being? Their depth is atrocious, by ACC standards. We're looking at three B+ only players on this roster, and seven D overalls. The reason they're this high is perhaps due to the players at the top: Sr SF Phillip Smith, Jr C Loc Roy, and Jr PG Robert Jackson. With the veterans this team has, the Wolfpack are strong - but when these players are tired out, their depth is lacking. Wolfpack will be very good with mid-range ability and interior shots; and okay at best on the perimeter. This team may surprise opponents, but I wouldn't be surprised if this squad did worse than expected.

10. 138px-Louisville_Cardinals_wordmark.svg.png Louisville Cardinals | Ovr.: 109 | Off.: 122 | Def.: 86

The Cardinals went 17-14 last season and an early exit in the playoffs. This year's team is rebuilding in a competitive conference but may have some potential of pulling a few upsets. Jr PF Derek Sandhu is the real deal and an amazing player on both sides of the court. An excellent blocker and amazing dunking ability. Louisville's best player by far, and it's followed shortly by Jr SFs Victor Manning and Russell Thompson. This team will do well on the perimeter and with rebounding; though the Cardinals will have a rough time facing a very competitive ACC.

9. 250px-Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_logo.svg.png Georgia Tech Yellowjackets | Ovr.: 105 | Off.: 105 | Def.: 100

Georgia Tech fans are expecting improvement from last year's 12-18 record. This year's team has two excellent players in Sr C Billy Richardson and Jr C John Larock - two formidable players with excellent defending and blocking. This roster is defense-focused while their offense will consist of seniors such as Sr PG Ronald Morgans, Jr PG Aaron Felix, and Sr SF David Schroeder. This team's biggest strengths are with turnovers and driving layups - though may do well at the midrange. I wouldn't expect many shots near the 3pt line unless it's from So PG Andrew Alster.

8. 250px-Pitt_Panthers_wordmark.svg.png Pittsburgh Panthers | Ovr.: 96 | Off.: 62 | Def.: 133

The team directly above GT last year with a 14-19 record is ahead once again at #8 - Pittsburgh's team is one where the biggest strength is their guards - Sr PG Joseph Lee is an offensive talent any coach would dream about having on their roster; So PG John Barrett I'd expect to make a couple of minutes in rotation with his ballwork and finishing capability. The best player on this roster is their defenseman, 5 star Junior Brock Burks - a player i'm estimating to be another first round talent. This roster is well-rounded with starting talent; though I think the Panthers will likely reach into their freshman talent for minutes in terms of player development. This isn't the year for Pittsburgh, but this will be a tough team to play against.

7. 250px-Clemson_Tigers_logo.svg.png Clemson Tigers | Ovr.: 89 | Off.: 46 | Def.: 137

If there was an award for most-improved team this season, Clemson is a likely candidate. Last year's team was dead last with only six overall wins; 3 in conference play. Tiger fans have plenty to be excited about considering their roster. Jr PG Daljit Nguyen and Jr SF Michael Sims improved immensely last season with their shooting capability; though I'd argue Sr PG Kenneth Grover is excellent in his own rite with his 3pt ability. This Tigers team I'd expect to excel at rebounding but whill have trouble defending the basket from the interior; although their offense is currently geared to surprise opponents when they decide not to get close to the basket.

6. 150px-Florida_State_Seminoles_alternate_logo.svg.png Florida State Seminoles | Ovr.: 86 | Off.: 29 | Def.: 152

The Seminoles have a top 30 offense, an absolutely average defense, and that's enough to get them to only #6 on this list. The two best defenders on this team are Jr C David Wang, Jr PF Lincoln Neals, and So C Bill Duncan. Focusing on the strengths, this Seminoles roster is literred with many players capable of 3pt shooting including Sr PG James Greene and Sr PG Roy McLure. The latter in-fact is perhaps the seminoles' best offensive option considering he can make several shots from any part of the court. I think this Seminoles team will lean into the Midrange capability considering that their more senior players are capable of pulling off a jumper. For a team that went 8-21 last season with 8 wins in conference play, FSU should surprise teams this year with a jump up.

5. 304px-North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_logo.svg.png North Carolina Tarheels | Ovr.: 71 | Off.: 73 | Def.: 79

The Tarheels, like many ACC teams, left the playoff tournament early within the round of 64. For a team that broke even at 16-16 in the ACC, that's a feat in itself. In an expanded league, the Tarheels will need to do more in order to pull it off again and get back into the tournament. Frankly this roster has plenty of experience to rely on with a player like Sr PG Chrstopher Stinson. Perhaps the team's best offensive player, Stinson is a likely playmaker who is a fantastic shooter on the perimeter. Donald Steele is a close second, although as good with handling the ball. This Tarheels team has a couple of capable defenders with Jr SF Timothy Zulkowski and Jr PF Raleigh Matthews likely earning minutes on the court. The Tarheels brought in two 4 star PFs who I think could earn minutes. PF Kurtis Crowell I think is more than likely. This is a balanced team that should keep teams guessing on whether they can even make a shot. Coach @Tryggr, if he's coaching this squad, will have a fantastic team to work with.

4. 250px-Wake_Forest_University_Athletic_logo.svg.png Wake Forest Demon Deacons | Ovr.: 65 | Off.: 35 | Def.: 109

If there's one player to take away from this description for Wake Forest, it's this one: PG Ricky Cotrell. The best player on this Demon Deacons squad, and one who is an absolute menace on the court. He's very good with turning over the ball, and alongside Jr PG Louis Awad bring a tandem of playmaking any team would want. They have a very good player in Sr PF David Dunham; who while not boasting strengths, is very good on almost every attribute. The Demon Deacons went 22-9 last season with an exit in the Round of 32 in the playoff tournament, and it's very likely that they rebound this year. Wake Forest is a very strong offensive team, one which I think can take them into the tournament. For a deep run? It's possible, but not entirely confident quite yet.

3. 131px-Duke_Blue_Devils_basketball_mark.svg.png Duke Blue Devils | Ovr.: 30 | Off.: 33 | Def.: 30

Last year's duke squad went 21-10, 2nd place in the ACC, and left in the Round of 32. This year's team has the depth and talent at Defense to bring them there. Jr SF Antonio Scott is a talented player and arguably a 1st Round talent, especially with his defensive playmaking. Duke's midrange shooting led by Scott, Jr PG Edward Mack, and So PG Bradley Yeargin can keep the Blue Devils in the game, and it's likely we will see plenty of minutes from their freshman class, especially with incoming players PF Paul Merrill and Robert Miller. The Blue Devils bring in depth that many ACC teams would want, and with @gren coaching the team, this is one of the teams you'll want to keep up with this season.

2. 206px-Virginia_Tech_Hokies_logo.svg.png Virginia Tech Hokies | Ovr.: 27 | Off.: 11 | Def.: 50

#11 Offense in the country, #27 overall. The Hokies only went to the NIT last year and got the boot in the 2nd round. 16-16 isn't a bad record, but this is one team that should shock players this year. We're looking at 3 Sr PGs -- Kyle Papai, Douglas Barton, and Linh Hayashi -- each with very good accuracy at the mid-range, and exceptional at the 3pt line. Douglas Barton will likely lead the offense with his ball-handling skills; but the best talent on this team is actually defensive stalwart David Vanauken. A likely 1st round pick with a good layup and excellent rebounding, Vanauken brings a skillset that will surprise opponents when they visit Blacksburg this year. #2 in the country, and a very likely playoff team, the Hokies have the skill, but not enough depth, for a deep run.

1. 249px-Boston_College_Eagles_wordmark.svg.png Boston College Eagles | Ovr.: 24 | Off.: 6 | Def.: 58

I didn't have Boston College at #1 in the ACC on my Bingo Card, nor was I expecting them to be ranked this high. This team went 9-22 last season. No playoffs, no NIT, just hammered at home and on the road. So what makes this Boston College team special? Their starters' uncanny ability to shoot along the perimeter. Sr PG Martin Kuh, PF Mauricio Delgado, Jr PG Robert Mader, and Jr PF Joseph Dottle each are capable of placing a shot anywhere on the perimeter. Were likely to also see some minutes from freshmen PF Robert Emmanuel and Ilya Petrov to drive the offense close to the basket. Both players are excellent at driving to the basket and they're only freshman. On defense, So C Bryce Morgan improved on defense and should be leading the defense alongside Delgado. Boston College should be average at defense, but they have excellent rebounders that should give this Eagles team plenty of chances and possessions to show opponents just how good they can shoot the ball. This is a playoff team right here.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I was so fucking confused at first. In my head I was like "Preseason??? We're already mid season in football!"

Great stuff birdman.

• Basketball 1
  • Haha 1