Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

2023 | Preseason Preview | Coastal Athletic Conference (CAA)

Hi everyone,

Today's review is going over the Coastal Athletic Conference, or as we know it, the CAA. Just like the Big west, this will be very rough.

14. 169px-Elon_Phoenix_logo.svg.png Elon Phoenix | Ovr.: 351 | Off.: 361 | Def.: 258

No, Elon didn't buy this university and name it after himself. If he did though, it would really explain the state of this roster. 4th worst offense in the league? Surprisingly a higher ranked defense? It's certain that Sophomore PG Edward Mendoza is going to get minutes for his defensive rebounding and defense; and this team certainly will have defense. They're really going to fumble the ball anytime they try to make a shot in the opponent's court. Blank Slate team.

13. 131px-Drexel_Dragons_logo.svg.png Drexel Dragons | Ovr.: 330 | Off.: 328 | Def.: 324

Dragons are known as ferocious creatures -- the Drexel Dragons are anything but. CAA opponents are going to take this team and Elon's as a cake walk. That's not to say the dragon's don't have talent. If the AI were to coach them right, they should be starting their incoming freshmen -- PF Roosevelt Price and SG Jose Ayala. They're the team's best chances of points in the paint, while Sr SG Gary Solomon takes care of the 3pt shooting. Teams aren't made with three players though, and Drexel will learn that hard this year.

12. 155px-UNC_Wilmington_Seahawks_logo.svg.png UNC-Wilmington Seahawks | Ovr.: 306| Off.: 285 | Def.: 314

Oh, hey! Seahawks. I like Seahawks. Wilmington's team has some mediocre depth, which is saying something for a 300+ ranked team. What I mean is, I think this team may reach higher than their rank due to their offensive ability. Fr SF Horacio Lopez would immediately bring in some needed playmaking if given the chance, but the Seahawks will likely be known for their mid-range ability thanks to Sr C Jason Hollander and So PF Gary Dufresne. Just don't expect some defensive showcasing from this squad.

11. 198px-North_Carolina_A%26T_Aggies_logo.svg.png NCAT Aggies | Ovr.: 303 | Off.: 327 | Def.: 272

The Aggies this year have a surprisingly okay defense this year in the CAA. Sr duo PF Peter Acabal and SG Brady Martin aren't exactly showstoppers on the defensive side of the ball, but they're somewhat reliable and balanced than soem of the other players on roster. Sr PG Gustavo Alvidrez can be trusted on the perimeter for defensive playmaking, and is also the Aggie's best offensive option outside of the paint. Aggie fans will want to watch for him and So PG Richard Mcneal if the player's given any sort of minutes. I don't think this team will win the CAA, but they will surprise a few teams.

10. 250px-Stony_Brook_Seawolves_logo.svg.png Stony Brook Seawolves | Ovr.: 285 | Off.: 226 | Def.: 343

Oooh! Seawolves! And with that we're out of the 300's for this conference. This Seawolves roster's specialty remains within the mid-range, as about four of their players are capable of making a jumper. Especially their freshmen. Heck, looking at this roster the Seawolves should perhaps play all three freshmen and give them minutes. SF Joseph Siler and PG Brian Duran are the reason why the Seawolves may have a presence in the mid-range; and PF Juan Hernandez, while average at best, has the potential to be something in this class. Stony Brook won't be known for their defense, but this team is likely to be ranked higher than 10th by the end of this season.

9. 248px-Campbell_Fighting_Camels_logo.svg.png Campbell Fighting Camels | Ovr.: 276 | Off.: 247 | Def.: 318

Somewhere in my storage is a tank top of the Fighting Camels. And in this off-season I know that they're a D1 team in the CAA. Like Stony Brook, this team has some offensive potential; moreso with the team's Finishing ability than their ability to jump. Sr PF Eric Baker and Jr C Dennis Rutan are the team's best chances on offense meanwhile their most likely starters are capable of defending the perimeter too. I wouldn't trust this team to block a dunk or a layup, but the Camels are going to make it difficult for conference opponents to shoot a 3.

8. 218px-Hampton_Pirates_logo.svg.png Hampton Pirates | Ovr.: 244 | Off.: 261 | Def.: 237

This conference has everything -- Dragons, Seahawks, Seawolves, Camels, and now pirates?! What are we doing here in the P6 rankings picking wildcats, cougars, and bulldogs for mascots? Seriously. While the talent in this conference is dwarfed by the P6, at least they have ferocious mascots.

Back to the task at hand, this Pirate squad should be more senior than some of the other teams already discussed in this post. Jr PF Ronald Mcdaniel is the best pirate on this crew to score -- especially on the perimeter. His defensive playmaking is also there when rebounding and guarding the basket; The starting rotation for this team will be okay at best on offense; on defense, this team will rely on Sr SF Reid Hudson for his ability to turnover the ball and guard the perimeter. I don't see this team making a case for the CAA championship but they will likely loot a few upset wins along the way.

7. 206px-College_of_Charleston_Cougars_logo.svg.png Charleston Cougars | Ovr.: 231 | Ovr.: 184 | Def.: 306

Wow. Really? College of Charleston's best name for a mascot is the Cougars? Sigh, I'll take it. It's not a bad mascot name to go with, but it's not creative. This team is fairly average across the board, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were to be starting So SF David Dykes, Jr C George Lira, and Jr SG David Calderon. Lira is the team's best defender overall, and all three listed above are either good at 3pt shooting or making a dunk. Jr C David Leonardo does have a case for minutes with his ability to rebound; so there's four capable starters for this team, at least by CAA standards; but not enough depth to make a run. Expect some fun from the conference's #1 offense. Yes, this team has the #1 offense in the CAA.

6. 250px-William_%26_Mary_Athletics_logo.svg.png William & Mary Tribe | Ovr.: 221 | Off.: 219 | Def.: 235

I think I knew someone in high school who kept saying that his parent's met at W&M and that he was planning on going there too. He ended up accepting an athletic scholarship to St. Thomas, but I'll be honest in admitting I'm a bit biased against the Tribe because of their association with this individual. He's an okay person, and I hope he's doing well now; but to keep things short --as he improved as a distance runner, he became more disrespectful to most members on the team while sucking up to some of the better varsity runners. Not sure why I still remember this, or why I'm petty about this.

10+ year-old-high-school-drama out of the way, the Tribe are one of the more balanced squads we've seen so far in the CAA. I like what they have in So SG Thomas Ferruci -- the kid may not progress well but he's already established as the team's best offensive option as a sophomore. I'd be disappointed if the AI didn't give this player minutes. The talent on this team does lean younger -- their seniors are okay, specifically Sr C Gary Wilkins -- but I'd rather give some of their younger players the opportunity to develop further. Especially Fr PF Brian Archambo and Fr SG Ernest Murray. The Tribe I don't think are set for a CAA championship but the youth in this team tells me they have a chance to be more talented in a season or two.

5. 250px-Monmouth_Hawks.svg.png Monmouth Hawks | Ovr.: 210 | Off.: 205 | Def.: 228

I don't know why but as we get further down the list the quality of mascot names is getting worse. Tribe is unique, but Hawks is a name anyone could've picked out. Monmouth's talent on the other hand is pretty good for a CAA team. The Hawks are primed to be a 3pt shooting team, lead by perhaps the most exciting player covered in this conference -- Jr SG Liem Chang. The player can dunk, and he certainly can shoot a 3 too. This team is also good with rebounding the ball; but once a team drives through this team to the basket, these players will struggle with a turnover. If the Hawks lean into Chang's talents, I see them as true contenders for the CAA championship.

4. 245px-Northeastern_Huskies_primary_logo.svg.png Northeastern Huskies | Ovr.: 203 | Off.: 188 | Def.: 231

Northeastern has something that most of the teams discussed so far don't: They have 6 'D' grade players. Which, if you've been keeping up with these preseason lists, means they have above average talent for a newly generated squad. The Huskies have a trio of offensive shooters from their junior class - namely SF Jess McGoldrick, PG Victor Everett, and PF Arlyn Chua. Chua is perhaps the team's best player on the offensive side of the ball, while at least 'okay' on defense. This Husky team is expected to be making jump shots and 3pt shots for their team; though rebounding and defense isn't their best suit. Should make some exciting basketball for the Huskies.

3. 122px-Towson_Tigers_logo.svg.png Towson Tigers | Ovr.: 201 | Off.: 246 | Def.: 189

We're at three teams remaining and so far the mascot names have become more P6. Hawks, Huskies, Cougars, and now Tigers. So I guess the theme is the more tame your mascot name is, the better the squad? Maybe in the CAA only.

When it comes to contending for a CAA championship, I'm unsure of Towson's offensive skill will elevate the team to get there; but they do have the best options for layups and paint shots. The tigers best playmakers are Sr PF Jesse Clary and C David Hunter, who will be a presence near the basket. The best defenders on this team are in fact from the freshman class - namely Fr SG Carmelo Mejia and PF William Colon. If they both get minutes I think the Tigers could be balanced; but again, not a lot of depth going around. The Tigers are ranked high, but I'm 50/50 on calling this championship-contending team a paper tiger.

2. 250px-Delaware_Fightin%27_Blue_Hens_logo.svg.png Delaware Fighting Blue Hens | Ovr.: 176 | Off.: 185 | Def.: 179

And here comes Delware with a unique mascot name! Thank you Blue Hens! The theme with this team is passing the ball - at least five of these players are good with holding, passing, and maybe even a turning over the ball. The Blue Hens will be relying on Jr PF George Payne with earning possessions and converting them into opportunities. The Blue hens have the 2nd best offense, leaning heavily into interior shooting; and the 2nd best defense, leaning evenly towards interior and perimeter defense. If the AI prioritizes minutes and shot proportion accurately, Delaware has a fighitng chance for the CAA.

1. 158px-Hofstra_Pride_logo.svg.png Hofstra Pride | Ovr.: 175 | Off.: 225 | Def.: 167

The Pride are the preseason favorites for the CAA championship; and have the best defense in the conference. So good, it's rumored to be better than the defense of more senior teams. That's saying something for a newly generated squad. On offense, the Pride aren't great, but they will be making plenty of jump shots with players such as Jr C Harold Mahaney -- who also turns out to be the Pride's best player. Mahaney will be leading the teams defense likely in rebounds and guarding the basket; and having players like So PF Darren Smith, and Fr C Gary Butt to support the defense will be crucial. The team won't defend the perimeter well, but they will guard the basket like no other team in the CAA.