Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

2023 | Preseason Preview | Big West Conference

Hey everyone,

Okay, I'm on a roll, and want to at least end with the Big West conference. This conference will consist of mainly California teams and Hawai'i. Oh, and the Anteaters.

11. 250px-UC_Riverside_Highlanders_logo.svg.png UC Riverside Highlanders | Ovr.: 361 | Off.: 354 | Def.: 357

I like this logo, but I don't like this team. I don't think they're the worst team here, but however the AI is allocating them, they certainly are going to be this year. This team has a couple of capable 3pt shooting players in Sr SG Bernard Jackson, Jr C Kevin McGill, and Jr SG Philip Mcdougal; but there's no depth on this team whatsoever. Riverside won't be winning the Big West, but I do think whoever they bring in next season can help make them more competitive.

10. Long Beach State 49ers Alternate Logo - NCAA Division I (i-m) (NCAA i-m) -  Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net Long Beach State | Ovr.: 352 | Off.: 353 | Def.: 309

Long Beach State doesn't have a mascot name, so we're just going to call them Long Beach, or LB. Their logo is also normally black, which doesn't do well with the background. Anyways, this team doesn't have much in the offense. You could aruge that Sophomore C Tim Harwick is their best option, but I don't know if he's going to get enough minutes to make a significant impact. This team is just not good; and like Riverside, prospective coaches will have a Blank Slate to work with.

9. 248px-UC_Davis_Aggies_logo.svg.png UC Davis Aggies | Ovr.: 343 | Off.: 290 | Def.: 355

This team doesn't have an identity on defense. If you're going to watch a UC Davis game this season, don't expect defense. Almost any team will go through the Aggies like a piece of wet paper. Sr C Damian Portillo may be their best offensive playmaker with his ability to make a layup, but there's not enough depth on this Aggies team to make a serious run for the Big West this year. Heck, I don't think @Dacder would like how this team looks. Like the above teams, treat this team like a blank slate and build up.

8. 248px-Cal_State_Bakersfield_Roadrunners_logo.svg.png Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners | Ovr.: 342 | Ovr.: 341 | Def.: 312

I'm really getting tired of saying how bad these Big West teams are. There's just a lot of poorly talented teams at the bottom, but it's bad that this is the 4th of 5th likely teams that will struggle to get double digit wins this season. The Roadrunners will be one of them. Sr Robert Robinson is a one-trick pony-type player who can really make a jump shot, but he is not the kind of player you'd want to defend the rim. So SG Robert Mccaul may be their best player worth mentioning on defense; but it's Sr C Henry Kim who has better overall talent, while still being an F rated player. And by better overall, he at least has five C's in attributes. Bakersfield has too many one-trick ponies on their roster in a league where you need multiple well-rounded players to be taken seriously.

7. 188px-CSUN_Matadors_logo.svg.png Cal State Northridge Matadors | Ovr.: 333 | Off.: 330 | Def.: 329

Another one-trick pony team, literally. Roy Wood is an okay Rebounder with an ability to make a 3point shot; Sophomore SG William Drew can make a drive to a basket; but that's all that these two players can do. And the rest of the squad? You don't want to look. I thought Bakersfield and Long Beach were bad... there's going to be a fight for the bottom of the Big West this year.

6. 112px-UC_Santa_Barbara_Gauchos_logo.svg.png UC Santa Barbara Gauchos | Ovr.: 300 | Off.: 274 | Def.: 313

We're almost out of the 300 ranks, but it's a bad sign when we're halfway through the conference list already. The Gauchos best qualities are that their floor is slightly above the opponents that are higher on the list. Sr SF Chris Schlenker is average on most shooting opportunities, but can be relied on for a rebound; Sophomore C David Meeks is worse than So C Brian Mercer, but I'd argue he has a higher upside than the former and should be given the minutes. This Gauchos team isn't going to play for the conference title, but they're at least more prepared to be taken seriously in the long run.

5. 250px-UC_San_Diego_Tritons_wordmark.svg.png UC San Diego Tritons | Ovr.: 271 | Off.: 217 | Defense: 339

After accidentally giving the San Diego Toreros the wrong logo, the Tritons are finally in the sim! This team has the benefit of being more well-rounded on offense than most generated Big West team,s particularly in the 2pt shooting department. The Tritons will be average at best at rebounds, but are only a rung below the Aggies on the defensive side of the ball. Expect some fast-paced play from the Tritons, it should be a fun one.

4. 250px-Cal_State_Fullerton_Titans_logo.svg.png Cal State Fullerton Titans | Ovr.: 252 | Off.: 181 | Def.: 347

Take UCSD's roster, and ramp it to 11. That's the Titan's. This team has four good options capable of making a jumper, and four additional options of driving to the basket. Sr SF Colin Morgan, Jr SF Robert Worthington, and So C Rogelio Batista should be getting plenty of minutes with their playmaking abilities on both sides of the ball; it's just unfortunate that this team won't be playing defense this year. Otherwise, they could make a surprising run for the Big West Title

3. 246px-Cal_Poly_Mustangs_logo.svg.png Cal Poly Mustangs | Ovr.: 199 | Off.: 233 | Def.: 192

Cal Poly is the best newly genned team in the Big West this year. They have average depth for their offense, especially from their younger players; and they ahve some leadership on their roster to give them an identity. Sr PF Manuel Morales is their best player with the ball, but there are other starting players that will be defending the basket. Unfortunatley for the Mustangs, there are two other teams on this list that will blow everyone else out of the water and will make the Big West a two-team race for the conference title - and maybe the postseason.

2. 317px-Hawaii_Warriors_logo.svg.png Hawai'i Rainbow Warriors | Ovr.: 94 | Off.: 57 | Def.: 135

The only team in the Big West that isn't in California! Hawai'i has one of the best playmakers in the conference with Sr PG Michael Phillips, and can make a shot from almost anywhere. His defensive skills aren't great, but that's where Jr C Richard Clark and Jr PF Jesus Rodriguez enter the picture. The Rainbow Warriors missed the postseason last season with a 15-11 record; but I'd argue being in the Big West sets them up for a run right now. There's enough depth on this team to make a mid-range shot, and enough players to drive for a layup.

1. 227px-UC_Irvine_Anteaters_logo.svg.png UC Irvine Anteaters | Ovr.: 11 | Off.: 65 | Def.: 3

This is the favorite for the Big West, and a team I'd expect to make it far in the postseason. The Anteaters barely made the tournament last season with a 15-16 record, and left the dance early. Now at home in the big west, this team is destined to win the conference and return to the tournament. Sr PF Jerry Bell, Sr C Henry Gonzalez, redshirt Jr PF Stephen Moore, and redshirt Fr C Richard Milbourne together are an incredible defense, and will make conference play in the Big West look like child's play. Honestly @subsequent, I wouldn't be shocked if you go undefeated in conference play. Just... don't lose to Riverside, okay?

• Basketball 2