Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

2023 | Preseason Preview | Big South Conference

Hey everyone!

I'm going for three conferences to review today, and for our next conference we have: The Big South! As with the Big Sky Conference, Big South consists of all new teams. Nine, to be exact. Not all of these teams are great, but at least one I reckon has upset potential.

9.Radford_Highlanders_logo.png Radford Highlanders | Ovr.: 340 | Off.: 350 | Def.: 303

I'm sorry for the large logo, this is the smallest one I could find. The only thing this team will be upsetting is their own fans, not their opponents. Love the logo, can't love this team. They have a good player with Jr PG Andrew Brouillard as perhaps one of their only offensive options -- maybe So PF Mark Lebed -- but this team needs more depth if they want to be serious about winning the Big South.

8. 250px-Longwood_Lancers_logo.svg.png Longwood Lancers | Ovr.: 305 | Off.: 301 | Def.: 298

Longwood has a long way to go if they hope to make a run for the Big South. This team has the endurance to play a game of basketball on the court, but many are going to find the Lancers' opportunities to be short of success. There's not really a standout player on offense, and their defense looks okay for the perimeter. Maybe even the interior, if they know who their starting. It's hard to tell with this team.

7. 247px-Gardner%E2%80%93Webb_Runnin%27_Bulldogs_logo.svg.png Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs | Ovr.: 302 | Off.: 315 | Def.: 279

I think Gardner-Webb updated their athletics logo, and I'm kinda sad about that. That older logo of their looks iconic. Like, seriously here's a link to the logo. Unfortunately the new makeover is not going to save the state of this team, as we're looking at a roster consisting of 3 D grade players and everyone else is an F. Sr PG Lawrence Niemczyk may be the saving grace for this team, and maybe Sr C Jose Jeon will be too -- but I can't see Gardner-Webb winning the Big South or making the postseason.

6. 250px-Winthrop_Eagles_logo.svg.png Winthrop Eagles | Ovr.: 250 | Off.: 251 | Def.: 253

A lot of these logos seem really new or modern. I don't mind that, it's just something I'm noticing. But for Winthrop's team, I see this team as one with potential. There's playmakers that can make a mid-range jumper who should make minutes; and there's plenty of players on this team that can garner a rebound or two. Senior C Ryan Sherman is perhaps the Eagle's best option for a drive to the basket, and getting rebounds. Winthrop has the chance to be good, if coached right.

5. 247px-Charleston_Southern_Buccaneers_logo.svg.png Charleston Southern Buccaneers | Ovr.: 246 | Off.: 256 | Def.: 248

The Buccaneers, like Winthrop, might be one of the best rebounding teams in the Big South. This will give them plenty of possessions this year, and with their offensive options at the interior and their two playmakers that can make a 3pt shot (Jr SG Jerome HOwell and Sophomore PG Mark Webb), I expect them to be good. Not great at defense, but surprisingly good for the Big South.

4. 237px-Presbyterian_College_logo.svg.png Presbyterian Blue Hose | Ovr.: 229 | Off.: 287 | Def.: 196

In a conference full of more modern logos, Presbyterian takes the classic college route. As for their team, offense may be a one-man show, because Sr PG Michael Crouch is the team's best 3pt shooter, and can make a layup. He can pass the ball, but will need help from teammates for defense. That's where Jr PF John Jones, Sr SF Robert Pearson and Sr PG Marion Meyers can make an impact. Jr PG Albert Aguilar is a good secondary option for both offense and defense; but I think the Blue Hose will lean heavily into Crouch's playmaking abilities for this team. Will it be enough for the Big South? Unlikely. Will they scare some conference opponents? Yes.

3. 252px-High_Point_Panthers_logo.svg.png High Point Panthers | Ovr.: 220 | Off.: 240 | Def.: 216

One of the top teams in the Big South, High Point will be known this season for their mid-range shooting ability and their ability to defend the basket and block lay-ups. Sr C Peter Simpson is the panther's best option on offense and as a rebounder. Second would be Sr PF James Geistfeld, who can guard the interior better than Simpson can. There are strengths for this team, and their depth should be enough for the Big South. And maybe pulling an upset in the NIT.

2. 250px-UNC_Asheville_Bulldogs_logo.svg.png UNC-Asheville Bulldogs | Ovr.: 216 | Off.: 263 | Def.: 194

The Bulldogs are mediocre at best on offense this year. Sr SF Brian Long is their best option but has trouble staying on the court. The biggest strength this team has is their ability to slow down the game and to block shots from the perimeter. The bulldogs will have some rebounding trouble this year, but they're one team that's likely to be a headache for other conference opponents.

1. 245px-USC_Upstate_Spartans_logo.svg.png USC Upstate Spartans | Ovr.: 174 | Ovr.: 194 | Def.: 166

One of the best newly generated teams this season, and it's because they have at least four players capable of starting potential. Freshman C Dexter Hunter brings in an upside to the Spartan's defense in defending the basket, rebounding, and turning over the ball. He has a good jumper as well, and could be a mainstay for the program over the next four years. Upstate has other excellent defensive players like Jr PF Mark Sullivan and Jr PG Michael Saunders. When the ball is in their hands, they are also capable of making a 3pt shot. This team will likely live and die by their 3pt ability, but at least they will be fun to watch. They're the favorite for the Big South, and one of the most likely team to upset an opponent in postseason play.