Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

2023 | Preseason Preview | Big Sky Conference

Hi everyone,

Today we are going over the Big Sky Conference. This review consists of all twelve new teams to the sim this year. It's going to be rough, so bear with me.

10. 142px-Sacramento_State_Hornets_logo.svg.png Sacramento State Hornets | Ovr.: 360 | Off.: 345 | Def.: 356

Sacramento is not a state. It's a city. This is the 5th worst team in the league. Their only saving grace is Senior C Grant Breslin being excellent as a jumper, and okay on the perimeter. Jr SG Raul Stasik appears to be the Hornet's only good defender; but like most of this team, they will struggle getting a single rebound. This team is what I call a blank slate, and if they recruit excellently this year, expect their freshmen to replace their current starters.

9. 231px-Weber_State_Wildcats_logo.svg.png Weber State Wildcats | Ovr.: 354 | Off.: 360 | Def.: 291

Weber is not a state, and the state of this program is only a centimeter above Sacramento State. Their saving grace is their defense being above a 300 ranking, and consisting mainly of SF Octavio Medina and C Zachary Costell protecting the interior. Speaking of, Costell is the most likely player who can do something all around, but on paper this team is one to trample over.

8. 250px-Idaho_State_Bengals_logo.svg.png Idaho State Bengals | Ovr.: 331 | Off.: 320 | Def.: 331

Unlike Weber, Idaho is in fact a state. I don't know why they're Bengals but then again we have team mascots from Buckeyes to Hoyas to Cyclones. At least the Cyclones make sense regionally. I'm getting off-topic - Idaho State's biggest strength is their ability to control the ball and earn turnovers. They have a surprising player in So PG Luis Alcala, who I think will be their best playmaker; but this team is nowhere near ready for the Big Sky Conference or a playoff berth. They are at least ahead of the two wannabe states.

7. 248px-Northern_Arizona_Athletics_logo.svg.png Northern Arizona Lumberjacks | Ovr.: 310 | Off.: 339 | Def.: 257

Okay, see Idaho State? This is how you pick a mascot that regionally makes sense. Anyways, the Lumberjacks are a defensive team that will have trouble making drives when in control of the ball. Sure, Sr PG James Coleman is their best Jumper, and So PF Antony Siddons looks like their best player who can do a layup, that that's only two players on a roster of about 13. I didn't even mention Jr C Paul Ramos, who can maybe make a few 3pt shots this season, but he is not good as a defender. The Lumberjacks have no depth, but in the Big Sky they at least have the chance of pulling an upset. Only if both teams are allowed three players on the court at a time.

6. 216px-Idaho_Vandals_logo.svg.png Idaho Vandals | Ovr.: 269 | Off.: 280 | Def.: 267

Fun fact: The Idaho Vandals are about 10 miles away from Washington State's campus and both teams reside in two different states. They're technically one of my rivals but I don't want to make fun of a rival that was generated with a terrible team. That's like making fun of a kid riding a tricycle for the first time and here we are picking whether we want a mountain bike, a road bike, or an electric bike. We're better than that. But for this review, I've got to be honest, Idaho is not quite ready to win the Big Sky; but I don't think they will be at the bottom of the conference. Their mid-range shooting and layup ability will likely net them points in games, and they have four good rebounders in Sr SG James White, Jr SG David Makita, Fr SG Warren Hunter, and Fr SF Scott Lin. From their rotation, they will have difficulties defending the perimeter. Also, kudos to them being our first Big Sky team not in the 300's.

5. 202px-Eastern_Washington_Eagles_logo.svg.png Eastern Washington Eagles | Ovr.: 233 | Off.: 214 | Def.: 261

Well, they could also be a rival for Washington State. I'd argue that they could be one of Gonzaga's rivals due to proximity. Eastern Washington's team has an okay rotation to begin with. When you have good mid-range shooters like Sr C Jason Arbramova, Sr PF Michael Mack, and Fr SF Scott Lin, you have options for passing the ball and spreading out your offense. Not to even mention Sr SG James White who can drive the basket. This team is what I'd call average, and one in which they could actually upset a few teams if they aren't careful.

4. 193px-Northern_Colorado_Bears_logo.svg.png Northern Colorado Bears | Ovr.: 227 | Off.: 224 | Def.: 244

The Bears are similar to Eastern Washington in that they have a lot of starters I'd consider to be average, but very few exemplary starters. The only one who could get starter minutes is Senior PF Bing Kobayashi, a good mid-range shooter and 3pt shot, but couldn't get a layup if he was depended upon. The Bears defense should hold up for most games this year in Big Sky conference play, especially with Jr C Thomas Blood and So SG Robert Henry. This is not a team built for a deep run for the Big Sky Conference, or a playoff berth, nor do I expect a deep run.

3. 248px-Montana_State_Bobcats_logo.svg.png Montana State Bobcats | Ovr.: 193 | Off.: 206 | Def.: 199

Our first team outside of the 200's! Which for a new team, that makes the Bobcats one of the top 30 new teams this year. The Bobcats best player appears to be Sr SF Anthony Joseph, a playmaker in his own right along the perimeter and with excellent ball handling and interior defense. The team's best defender is Jr SG Bart Page, who may struggle with layups, can at least defend the basket. There isn't a lot of great depth on this team, but there's enough good players, especially with inside shots to make this small-ball team a run for the Big Sky conference title.

2. 186px-Portland_State_Vikings_logo.svg.png Portland State Vikings | Ovr.: 192 | Off.: 242 | Def.: 175

Portland is NOT a state. Pretty fun city to visit though. The Vikings biggest strength is their defense in general. Great players that can defend the perimeter, and two stellar players on the interior. Their rebounding should give them opportunities to possess the ball, and they will need it -- their offense is average. If the Vikings can slow down conference opponents, they could make a good run for the Big Sky title and maybe a playoff berth.

1. 133px-Montana_Griz_logo.svg.png Montana Grizzlies | Ovr.: 181 | Off.: 182 | Def.: 186

One of the best newly generated teams, and the favorite for the Big Sky Conference. Montana may give out of conference opponents a scare early in the season, and the Big Sky a nightmare. The Grizzlies have two good 3pt shooters with Jr SG Michael Watkins and Jr SF Charles Garraway; and their biggest strength on defense is their ability to rebound. The Grizzlies will have plenty of chances to possess the ball, and either make a drive or surprise players on the perimeter.

• Like 1
  • Basketball 1