Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

2023 Purdue Boilermakers Defensive Breakdown

Prior to the season starting for me I wanted to take a look at my offensive depth chart to see where I'll be better, the same, or worse from last season. Along with a few notes on each position. I won't talk much about the freshmen, solely because I'll have a breakdown of my class sometime in the next week or so.

Defensive Line

LE Starter: Rayan Autry - Speed Rusher - SR - B+ overall - 2022 stats: 32 tackles, 3.5 sacks
DT Starter: Michael McCoy - Nose Tackle - (SO) - B overall - 2022 stats: DNP
RE Starter: Marquis Liz - Balanced - JR - B overall - 2022 stats: DNP

The Purdue DL last season was solid but were hit with some graduations. A few of these guys made great progress over the offseason as we see two new starters slot into the lineup. They were able to control the run well and get to the QB. This season should be much of the same...not a strength on defense but not a weakness either. Both McCoy and Liz are auditioning for a starting spot once again next season.

I have two new starters on the DL this season. The overall grades are the same this year as last year so I am expecting not too much of a drop off. The pass rush grades are better, so I am hoping that we can generate a bit more pressure.

Linebackers

LOLB Starter: Zack Robinson - Coverage - (JR) - B+ overall - 2022 stats: 31 tackles
ILB Starter: Bruce Johnson - Run Stopper - JR - A- overall - 2022 stats: 62.5 tackles, 12 TFL
ILB Starter: Ben Jimenez - Coverage - SO - B overall - 2022 stats: DNP
ROLB Starter: Daniel Piscotty - JR - A- overall - 2022 stats: 32.5 tackles, 5 sacks

I would say that my linebacking crew is the strength of my team overall. I don't start any seniors and three of these guys started for me last year. The Boilermakers decided to redshirt one player who would have started so he can focus on his grades this year. This is a group that should be even better next season as they continue to grow older. I look for this unit to lead my team this year and play factors in both the passing and running game.

I just have one new starter this season who I will likely RS this upcoming year to give my ILB room a little more room for future years. I have high expectations for these guys this season.

Cornerbacks

Starter: Dominique Miller - Zone - SR - A overall - 2022 stats: 43 tackles, 2 INT
Starter: Adam Briceno - Zone - SR - B- overall - 2022 stats: DNP
Slot Starter: Parker Myers - Zone - (SO) - C+ overall - 2022 stats: DNP

Dominique is the lone returning starter in this position group and I expect him to play a big role in the passing game. He is my best cover corner and should be able to take the load off my young guys. This group is the same overall wise as last season but I don't think will be as good. Myers needs to have a good year in order to quickly step in next year as a #1 CB. This group could make or break Purdue's season.

I am optimistic this year. My guys match my scheme very well but aren't the gaudy A overall's like some teams may have. I think they'll likely outperform their B average.

Safeties

FS Starter: Akeem Bailey - Ball Hawk - (SO) - B+ overall - 2022 stats: 54.5 tackles
SS Starter: Caleb Armenteros - Zone - (SO) - B overall - 2022 stats: 46 tackles, 2 INT

The safeties return as starters and look to be four year starters. They both improved by a full letter grade over the offseason and both really improved their tackling. I think that they are going to be key for us both in the run game and against the passing attack. I have had my eyes on them for a few years and I think this could be their breakout season.

This position is much improved and will likely be a strength for me next year. They are still average safeties but I am very hopeful that they breakout this year and perform well.

Overall Purdue Defense

Returning Starters: 7/11 spots (LE, LOLB, ILB, ROLB, CB, FS, SS)
New Starters: 4/11 spots (DT, RE, ILB2, CB)

Starters by Year
SR - 3 
JR - 4
SO - 4 

Returning Depth Chart Members
DL: 3/8
LB: 5/8
CB: 3/5
SAF: 4/4

Total New Players on the Offensive DC
10 new, 15 returning

This defense is still young. The bulk of the returning players to the depth chart is upperclass depth that will not be seeing the field. We are starting eight non-seniors which should continue to build us for the future. The defense is still evolving and we will be getting game changers on the field next season. I am a little nervous about the DL depth this season as I redshirt some guys but the backups are all experienced so it all should work out.

• Like 1