Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

2023 Preseason Big 12 Draft Watch (featuring [limited] write ups!)

Bundy

This is a semi-compiled list of Big 12 players who are potential 2024 Draft selections.

It is (somewhat) ranked by potential draft order.

Check back throughout the season to take note of the players Draft Stock.

The 5 Stars

DT Logan Lopez, Houston  A ovr B+ Pot SR

Lopez is the best non-QB in the conference from the minute Houston steps into the Big 12. With 21 TFL and 3.0 sacks last year, he'll face tougher competition in this conference, but he's a massive wall in the middle. With last year's DT-rich class in the past, Lopez slots in as a top 15 pick in early 2024 projections.

QB Travis Knebel, Baylor  A ovr A- Pot (JR)

Travis Knebel is a hot name flying around early mock circles. He's got Baylor competing for the playoff, and he's made strides from his (so) season. He was a sub-60% passer and had just 9 TDs to 11 INTs last year after a redshirt year in 2021, but he also rushed for nearly 1700 yards and 18 TDs. Knebel isn't a lock to declare for the 2024 Draft, but if he does, I expect the Pennsylvania teams - Pittsburgh and Philly - to be pounding the table for him. On potential alone, and with the fact he'd be just as old as the true seniors in the draft, I think he'll go late 1st, so 25th-32nd, to either Pittsburgh or the Eagles.

DE Omarius Beasley, Oklahoma  A ovr B+ Pot JR

Beasley is another underclassman who could declare. A true junior, Beasley had 10 TFL and 6.0 sacks in his sophomore campaign, which aren't stats that scream "immediate top 10 pick", but show potential to grow. Fellow Sooner Kyle Wilson had 16 TFL and 3.0 sacks and was the first DE taken in this year's draft, and Beasley outplayed him. If Beasley just mirrors last year's stats, I think he's a late 1st rounder should he declare early. If he can get to double digit sacks, he goes top 15 if not sooner. Stable coaching, which the Sooners have yet to consistently see from previous coaches, by @DStack will be key to Beasley's 2023 season and further development. 

SS Garrett Smith, Baylor  A ovr C Pot SR

Garrett Smith saw playing time in his sophomore season, putting up 45 solo tackles with 2 assists, 2 TFLs, and 1 recovery. He then EXPLODED onto the national scene in 2022, leading Baylor with 94.5 tackles, 16 TFL, and had 3 PD , 2 INT, and forced a safety. Safeties weren't highly valued in last year's draft, and Smith's potential may scare some off. Right now, I'd place him in Late 1st-Mid 2nd range.

DE Whit Wilson, Oklahoma State  A ovr B- Pot SR

16 TFL and 2.5 sacks a year ago don't scream "perennial pass rusher", but Wilson prides himself on being able to both chase down QBs and set the edge on the ground. Oklahoma State has also lacked consistent coaching, and right now I think Wilson has the potential to go very late R1, through around where Kyle Wilson went this year in the mid-2nd. I don't know that he'll be a true dominator ever, but could be a more-than-solid bookend through his rookie contract.

DE Malcolm Kahnle, TCU  A ovr C Pot JR

Kahnle had 20 TFL and 7.0 sacks as a freshman in 2021, and followed it up with 21 and 5.0 in 2022. He's a consistent DE who can both set the edge and pin his ears back. I think 2024 might be early in his development for him to declare, as he could be a Top 10 pick in 2025 with the right development trajectory and stats, but with a weak 2023 proceeding draft, he could cash in early (albeit, at a discount) and go R2 as a true junior. 

FS Mike Barr, Oklahoma  A ovr C Pot SR

Barr had 45 tackles last year, but no PD and no INT. He's a Run Stopper by trade, so playing him him could work for an NFL team, but he might suit the pro game better as a strong safety rather than a traditional midfielder. I think Barr is a 3rd rounder right now based on pedigree alone. 

FB Michael Elias, Oklahoma State  A ovr C+ Pot SR

I don't think I've ever paid attention to Elias prior to composing this list. He had 660 rushing yards with 3 TD and a 4.62 avg in 2022 playing for @kwheele, with 6 catches for 102 yards. Last year, he didn't touch the ball once. If @Broletariat can afford to spare him the rock, I could see him going as high as R3 given FB usage, or conversion to being a Power back at the pro level, but right now I think he'd go R4-5 if he never gets another touch at the CFB level.

The 4 Stars

DE Meyers Wilson, TCU  A ovr A+ Pot SR

Wilson has just 9 tackles in his career as a reserve on TCU's loaded roster, but with Chris Whalen gone he looks to make a name for himself. I think he gets an "incomplete" draft grade because we know NOTHING about him, but his potential is off the charts, and similar players who actually play would probably go R3-R5.

OT Mike Hubbard, TCU  A ovr A+ Pot SR

Six offensive tackles went R1 last year, four of them 4-star players. Hubbard only gave up 1 sack last year, and the 6'4", 285 Californian seems to be right in their pedigree. Late R1-Early R2 seems to be where Hubbard is headed.

OG Jose Moustakas, Kansas  A ovr B+ Pot SR

Big Moose was an anchor on the Kansas line last year, paired with Browns draftee Ben Gohara. Moustakas has his work cut out for him as the Jayhawks have graduated 4 OL over the last 2 years, but right now I think he's solidly a 3rd rounder.

DE Chad Walters, Iowa State  A ovr A- Pot SR

Walters had 9 TFL and 2.0 sacks last year, which is super underwhelming. @Qupax could certainly coach him up with a full off-season under the belt, and a more stable regime, like many in the Big 12, should clear things up. A 6'4", 290 Run Stopper, if Walters can get into the mid-20s in TFLs this year, I think he could go late 2nd. With such low productivity though, Im downgrading him a round.

QB Andrew Solano, TCU  A ovr B+ Pot SR

Solano carved the Big 12 up last year, but lost some targets to the NFL. He's not as tall as pro scouts would like him to be, he doesn't have wheels to escape NFL rushers, and he could take care of the ball better with his smaller than average hands. That said, he threw for nearly 400 yards per game at 64%. As things stand, I think Solano falls into the Kemoko Allard/Wayne Murray "develop" kind of QB, rather than the Theo Scribner or Yusei Asencio that you want to see on the field year 1 or 2. Solano should start pro games at some point, but for now, I think he goes R3-R4.

CB Evan Duke, UCF A ovr B+ Pot SR

Duke is a playmaker, with 5 PD, an INT, 2 FF, and 2 FR, scoring 1 TD. If he can repeat that in the Big 12, he climbs into Late R2, but for now he's solidly in R3-4.

DE Sean Lee, Houston  A ovr B Pot SR

Lee had 9 TFL and 4.5 sacks last year, but his potential isn't quite there to mock him early Day Two. Lee is a safe R4 pick, a slight reach in R3.

OG Frank Valdez-Scantling, Kansas State  A ovr B Pot (JR)

Frank Valdez-Scantling should be a household name by the end of the year. I think staying for 2024 and entering the 2025 class would be a big bump to his value, possibly putting him even into Day One territory, but he could have been drafted in 2023 and been NFL ready as a 21 year old rookie. 

ILB Meyers Ross, Iowa State  A ovr B Pot SR

Meyers Ross is a solid Field General, who will probably make his way into the pros as a backup with potential to start one day. 

C Josh Varvaro, TCU  A ovr B Pot SR

DT Chris Holmes, Texas  A ovr B Pot SR

TE Alex Atkins, Kansas  A ovr B- Pot SR

Alex Atkins dominated as a true sophomore, catching 80 passes for 1187 yards and 4 TDs. His production slipped as a junior because Kansas shifted their priorities from being more "pro style" to an offense feeding three running backs, with two going over 1000 yards and the 3rd finishing with 973 yards. Kansas graduated Bene' Humber, so perhaps they'll turn back to Atkins a bit to push the ball down the field. In Spring Games, he saw some time playing at WR as Kansas experimented with ways to spread the ball around, so don't be surprised to see him in some foreign lineups.

DE Randal Holmes, Kansas  A ovr B- Pot SR

CB Chaz Zeitler, Oklahoma  A ovr B- Pot SR

CB Marlon Kozma, Oklahoma State  A ovr B- Pot SR

SS Keibert House, Texas Tech  A ovr B- Pot SR

TE Ervin Dotson, BYU  A- ovr B- Pot SR

QB Xavier Means, Texas Tech  A ovr B+ Pot (SR)

RB Steven Huerter, UCF A ovr B Pot SR

WR Tim McCrae, Oklahoma  A ovr C+ Pot SR

OG Logan Travis, Texas Tech  A ovr C+ Pot SR

CB Simeyon McCoy, Kansas State  A ovr C+ Pot SR

CB Skye Lattimore, Baylor  A ovr C Pot SR

CB Mike Alonso, Iowa State  A ovr C Pot SR

OT Tom Guerra, Oklahoma  A ovr C+ Pot SR

OT Chris Avery, Kansas State  A ovr C+ Pot SR

OT Mike Penny, Texas  A ovr C+ Pot SR

C Isaiah Jackson, Jr, Texas Tech  A- ovr C Pot SR

SS Niko Suarez, Oklahoma State  A- ovr B- Pot SR

ILB Jordan Niang, Houston  A- ovr C+ Pot SR

K Luis Terdoslavich, Texas Tech  A ovr C+ Pot SR

QB Hanser Zagurski, Texas  A- ovr C+ Pot SR

RB Jerry Davis, Oklahoma State  A ovr C Pot SR

RB Moises Walker, Houston  A- ovr C+ Pot SR

WR Colton Smith, Oklahoma State  A- ovr C+ Pot SR

DE Kyle Johnson, West Virginia  A- ovr C+ Pot SR

RB Rod Carter, Texas  A- ovr C+ Pot SR

DE Matt Odor, Oklahoma  A- ovr C Pot SR

OG Trevor Gonzalez, Oklahoma  A ovr C Pot SR

RB Stanley Segovia, TCU  A ovr C Pot SR

DT Dante Gates, Kansas  A ovr A Pot SR

FS Maikel Infante, Kansas State  A ovr A Pot SR

CB Rico Harrison, BYU  A ovr B Pot SR

DE Fish Vander Laan, TCU  A- ovr A Pot SR

CB Rey Clark, Houston  A- ovr A- Pot SR

WR Alex Thompson, UCF A- ovr B+ Pot SR

DT Jonathan Del Rosario, Texas Tech  A- ovr B Pot SR

FB Marcell Maysonet, Kansas  A- ovr B Pot SR

CB Toru Alvarez, Baylor  A- ovr C+ Pot (SR)

OG Bradley Jones, Houston  A- ovr C+ Pot SR

DE Chris Barreto, Kansas  A- ovr C+ Pot SR

DT Miguel Cortes, West Virginia  A- ovr C+ Pot SR

DT Trent Gerber, Oklahoma State  A- ovr C Pot SR

CB Matt Viloria, Texas  B+ ovr C+ Pot SR

• Like 3

TBH I was hoping Kyle Anderson would take a bigger leap in the offseason.  Either way, him and Miguel will be a big part of any success we have this season.