Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

Shoutbox + Discord

Hey guys, personally, I love the ability to have an embedded Discord chat right at the top of the forum.

I think the real benefit is that people who have the Discord app can still chat on their phones/computer despite not having the site open in a mobile browser. Plus it is a familiar interface that we all use daily so we know its features and limits.

However, it's no secret that the app we currently use has been having some server issues and we're concerned with how long the Discord embedding software will be supported for.

So I wanted to get some opinions from you guys with what kind of experience you want to see from a site shoutbox. What features are important to you guys and what could you care less about?

We have another option that we are thinking of using that is not related to Discord at the moment. It would cost us a fee + a yearly licensing fee, so we want to see if it is worth the money and if we have the support from you guys to pursue this option.

Please let me know what you guys think!

~Admin and staff

• Like 2

I don't think having a shoutbox not integrated with Discord is a bad idea to begin with. Should be much smoother to deal with. Plus, it's not like Discord doesn't go down either.
  • Like 1

I think some important context to add is that it appears that support for our current app is also failing. The person who built it has expressed they will likely no longer be able to support it beyond resetting the server every once in a while. So any reliability problems will likely get worse.

Yeah, sounds like the Discord-tie-in is a nice to have, and its more important to everyone that it has high up time. Do you guys chat a lot on other websites' shoutboxes when on mobile? Or do most people use it when they are on their computer.

Do you often have situations where you feel like you need to be able to chat more easily when on the go?

So far, I think I'm gathering that Discord is a nice-to-have, and its more important that we just have a chatting system that works and has a nice mobile experience.
  • Like 3