Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2023] Recruiting Class Grades Batch 9

It's that time of year again! Time to hand out recruiting class grades!

I know these have been slowing down recently but work has been a lot, so it's been on the backburner

This is the ninth batch so don't worry I'll (eventually) do you if you want me to

A quick note: everything should be explanatory, but the rankings are: ESPN and Rivals per the interface along with 247, Ezaco's SSEC rankings are without regional bonuses, and the top-15 versions are just taking into account the top-15 croots signed. Average Rank tosses out high and low ranks and averages remainder

Today's: @alexfall862 @Coach123 @RobSun08

:herbie:

University of Nebraska

Big Ten Conference

2022: 5-7 (4-5)

Recruiting Class Basics:

Nebraska signed 2 4-stars, 9 3-stars, 6 2-stars, and 8 1-stars. They signed 11 players with B or higher potential and 1 players with B overalls. Rankings info below:

ESPNRivals247247-15SSECSSEC-15

Average Rank: 97

Signees below:

NameStarsOvrPotPosArchetypeCityState
James Sullivan1DC-CLine CaptainBeresfordSD
Michael Hecht3CB+CBMan CoverageMcDonoughGA
Joseph Young2CB-CBMan CoverageSmithvilleMO
James Woelfle3CC+DERun StopperSioux FallsSD
Bernard Walter3CCDTPass RusherCass CityMI
Tony Miller3CC+DTPass RusherAuroraCO
Dean Yoshimoto2DB+DTBalancedWichita FallsTX
Kou Hwang1DC-FSMan CoverageOmahaNE
Robert King3CB-ILBRun StopperLake WorthFL
Charles Edwards3CBKAccuracyIrmoSC
Dwayne Riddle4B-C+OGRun BlockingNew Port RicheyFL
Howard Martin1DDOGBalancedGoddardKS
Lee Casteel3CB-OLBPass RushAnkenyIA
Rufus Pintor1DAOTBalancedElginIA
Juan Perez1DA+OTPass BlockingSpencerIA
Richard Fiveankles3CBPPowerFremontOH
Juan Arana4C+CQBBalancedDecaturTX
Donald Taylor1DB+RBReceivingSioux FallsSD
Scott Krueger1DA-RBSpeedAlgonaIA
Travis Walter1DA+SSBall HawkCouncil BluffsIA
Christopher Lengacher3CCTEVertical ThreatGreensboroNC
Bryan Claflin2DBTEVertical ThreatImmokaleeFL
Mark Childers2CB-WRSpeedWestportCT
Michael Koester2CB-WRSpeedSlocombAL
Gary Felsing2DB+WRRoute RunnerMt. AngelOR

Below is a breakdown position-by-position of (from L-R) their current roster, what they did on the trail, and the grade I gave them in recruiting that position.

PosGradeCurrent Status# SignedCroot StatusGrade
CC+This is an ok P5 group. A B- RS SO with B potential is a 3 year starter, and while he isn't great this year, he will be for the next 2. The RS FR is ok depth as well1Uhhh they added a (hopefully) walkon here? He's bad and does not matter at all for this room. They have a RS Fr though so it's not the biggest dealC-
CBB-A pretty good squad here. instead of the lame Man vs. Zone schemers, NEB decided they were a ball hawk secondary, they have a ton of them. The A overall senior, lots of B So/Jrs, I think they are above average for the conference2Last year their triple of 4-3-3 stars were great. This years double of 3-2 stars is underwhelming in comparison. Bit of a miss this year, they should look to snag a higher end starter next cycleC
DEBThis is an extremelyyy deep group. They have a pair of B+ seniors, and then another 4 B overalls on the roster. Last year they signed a 3 and a 4 star so they're set now, and in the future1With a pretty stacked room, Nebraska focused resources elsewhere and signed a single 3 star run stopper. Gonna have to re-enter the fray this yearC
DTC+This is slightly less whelming, as it's full of 2 stars and not a lot of true stars who have blossomed. It's just ok for now3Whew, 3 DT signees is big, a pair of 3 stars and a good upside 2 star (albeit a D overall one). Fine enough to raise the floorC+
FBB+They have a sophomore 4 star B overall B potential, they're set for a while0Didn't sign any-
FSC+A mix of 2 and 3 stars. A very "ok" group here, with a big mix of archetypes to choose from. I don't really see a star anywhere here1Added an in-state walkon. Unfortunately he also has low potential so he will not be a good blackshirt additionC-
ILBB-A pretty good setup here actually. They have some serviceable upperclassmen and also signed a bluechipper last year. Should be set for a while1Added an ok potential 3 star as a good backup playerC
KC+It's fine, they have a RS SO B overall K who should be a solid player for a few years. This is a good cycle to pick up his replacement1They did just that. A B potential 3 star is the perfect player to sit for a few years and develop then take overC+
OGBOne of their best players: 5-star senior Familia anchors one side. They also have a few B overalls sprinkled in, and last year they signed (and redshirted) a trio of good players, 4 star, and two 3s. Good mix of archetypes too2They took a Kansas 1 star kid (probably to laugh at him for being from an inferior corn state), and an actual good starter: A 4 star run blocker. Nice talent pickup for this cycleB-
OLBB-They aren't super talented now, but have some good future options. A RS So B- overall and a true soph blue chipper, they have both positions solidified for the future1They added a good potential 3 star this cycle to add good depth, I'd be happy with this roomC
OTBThey have some very good upperclassmen, but a weaker stock below them. Their sophomore and below eligible players absolutely will not live up to the A overall rating that Diaz has and Bell will have. Gonna need an upgrade here2Ehhhh I don't know that these are walkons. A pair of Iowa kids, they are 1-stars (maybe under-scouted?) with D overall (nevermind), and A/A+ potential (oh?). Maybeee they'll be starter quality as seniors / RS Sr but that's a long wait for any contributionC-
PCThey have one punter. A RS soph 3 star with A potential. He's good but they need a second in the room I think1Name power wins out as Richard Fiveankles is... not as good a punter as his name indicates. He's still a fun guy to have on the roster and would be more than competent to step in as an upperclassmanC+ (name: A)
QBB-It's... ok. They stumbled upon Poona Edwards last season who ostensibly has the starting job for the next 3 seasons, and they'll rely heavily on this field general to progress to his potential (assuming he wins the starting job). On the bright side that puts very little pressure on their QB search1Whew, ok so they brought in Juan Arana, the only blue chip prospect in the room who may push Poona for that spot down the line? Good pickupC+
RBB-The big strength for this years offense is A overall Jr Richaun Alsadek. They have him for 2 years so you have to feel good about their run game, but behind him is some meh. Last year's signee was just ok2They added a pair of Midwestern (bad) running backs who will... fill out the scout team probably. A miss imo this cycle, they need to get Alsadek's replacement soonD+
SSC+A mix of 2 and 3 stars with pretty mediocre potential, this isn't a crater, but it is a pretty uninspiring position. Some talent injection would be nice1? Another 1 star from Iowa. I don't care if he has A+ potential, they needed an impact SS sooner than 3-4 years from now. D
TECAnother uninspiring position similar to SS. The TEs are all receiving threats who aren't super great. The bright side is they probably won't need them to be with the WR options2They added a pair of vertical threats who fit the same profile of just ok options at TEC
WRAI mean, I've gushed about it before but last years WR recruiting was unreal. Two 5-stars and a high 4 (plus a 3). They currently have 7(!) WRs with at least a B overall which is insane amounts of talent and will get even better the next two years. One of the best rooms in the country3They added 3 2-stars with good potential. It won't matter, these guys are so colossally overshadowed, but good on them for getting some high potentialsC+

I was... underwhelmed by this group, I think last year's class was a fair bit better. They took a ton of low overalls, and not all of them had the sky high potentials to make up for it. I think they did a solid job of floor raising in some rooms, but also let the floor slip in a few others. In addition, unlike last year they didn't have an absolutely monster position group. I'd look for them to get back to 3s across the board if possible to flesh out a more consistent baseline and get a game changer or 2 or3

Class Grade: C+

:leprechaun:

University of Notre Dame

Independent

2022: 7-6 (-)

Recruiting Class Basics:

Notre Dame signed 1 5-star, 3 4-stars, 12 3-stars, 2 2-stars, and 7 1-stars. They signed 7 players with B or higher potential and 3 players with B overalls. Rankings info below:

Average Rank: 32.5

Signees below:

NameStarOvrPotPosArchetypeCityState
Peter Quick3C+B-CBZone CoverageKendallvilleIN
Richard Gramling1DFCBMan CoverageEagle RiverAK
Matthew Martin4B-B-DERun StopperFairburnGA
Brian White4C+C+DESpeed RusherPlant CityFL
Mazen Cowan3CB-DTNose TackleClarksvilleOH
Alfredo Sosa1DBDTNose TackleAnchorageAK
Henry Busby1DA+FBReceivingEagle RiverAK
Edward Templet3CB-FSMan CoverageSanfordFL
Samuel Ahn3CB-ILBCoverageSarasotaFL
James Richardson3CC+ILBCoverageWedoweeAL
Aldo Scogin1DA+KAccuracyPalmerAK
Michael Fleri3CCOGBalancedFriendswoodTX
Clifford Heikkinen3CCOGBalancedFriscoTX
Jimmy Muhammad1DC+OLBCoverageSoldotnaAK
John Wilson1DA+OLBCoverageAnchorageAK
Robert Otis3CB+OTBalancedAbbevilleLA
Rafael Hernandez1DCOTRun BlockingAnchorageAK
Edward Foster3CC+PAccuracyFairburnGA
Kenneth Brimhall3CB-QBBalancedCoconut CreekFL
James Kincaid2CB+RBReceivingDuxburyMA
Keith Sedgwick3CB-RBPowerOxfordMS
Larry Wells2CB-SSRun StopperMount CarmelPA
Daniel Habib5BC-TEReceivingSan Juan CapistranoCA
Kyle Edens4B-C+WRRoute RunnerFort MillSC
William Ofman3C+BWRPossesionSavannahGA

Below is a breakdown position-by-position of (from L-R) their current roster, what they did on the trail, and the grade I gave them in recruiting that position.

PosGradeCurrent Status# SignedCrooting StatusGrade
CB-They have some really good upperclassmen, but last year they signed a mediocre 2 star and a bad one star so they'll slip a little bit in the future0Didn't sign any-
CBB-A similar story here, their seniors are very good, and they have a promising junior. Beyond that though, nobody on the roster looks like they can hit an A- by senior year. They do have ok depth2Added a horrific 1 star from Alaska who doesn't even fit the scheme (??) along with an ok potential 3 similar to the one they signed last cycle. Next year they'll need to add at least 2 higher potential 3sC
DEC+They have a quartet of B- to B+ upperclassmen, and McClure will be a great speed rusher next year, but their 4 signees from last year don't look super promising yet. The 3 star A- potential looks like the best of te unch, but the other 3 are kind of duds2You'd think after adding 4 last year this wouldn't be a priority, but instead they signed 2 of the 4 bluechips in this class at DE. These guys immediately level the room up and it becomes a strengthB+
DTC+Their seniors are both pretty good, but next year they'll only have one starter I'd be comfortbale starting at a big time program. Last years signees are very underwhelming2Another Alaska 1-star here for some reason? Anyway, Cowan is the real signee: A 3-star nose tackle with B- potential, he offers a quality option at DT for the futureC+
FB-They don't have any on the roster1They decided to carry a FB but the one they signed is... ok another Alaska 1-star? Tf is going on here, what kind of connections did their coach have? At least this kid has A+ potentialD
FSC+This is a pretty healthy room imo. They signed a 3 star with B potential each cycle and they all look like they're progressing well. All Man coverage guys, not really any complaints here1Oh perfect, signed another guy in that exact same vein. A 3-star man cover with B potential, this room is in good shapeC+
ILBC+Similar to FS, they have a 3 star each cycle. Unfortunately these 3 stars have just average potential, so ILB is kind of just... ok right now. Room to improve or de-improve2Good solid additions here with a pair of above average 3-stars. Adds depth and future options, I think this was a good move to keep the room stabilized and on a higher trajectoryC+
KB-They currently have one of the best kickers in the nation: the rare 5-star A overall senior. Behind him they added a B- potential 3 star last year as his future successor so I think the room is pretty solid1Added ANOTHER 1-star from Alaska. I don't care that he has A+ potential, stop building this pipelineD
OGB-In better position here than most rooms, they have a pretty solid junior and a 4 star B overall signee from last cycle. This is a position that should improve over the next few years2Added a pair of 3 star C overalls that solidify OG as a stable room with some high performers, good base classC+
OLBC+This is a trouble spot imo. They have an A overall senior to lock it down this year, but after he graduates they have: a B- junior, a C junior, and a D sophomore, none of whom have good potential. This could be rough sledding in 2 years2Instead of proactively addressing the issue, they added another pair of 1-stars from Alaska (???) who will absolutely not be expected to stem the bleeding or contribute. What is going on, they need to get at least a pair of 3 stars to stabilize next cycleD
OTBA ton of talent here. They have a pair of A overall run blockers which is a great setup for this year. One of them returns next year along with a B overall A- potential fellow junior run blocker. They didn't sign any OT prospects last year though so they need a pair now2Otis is a solid B+ potential 3 star pickup, nice base piece. They also added an alaskan kid for some reason who sucksC-
PCExtremely mid, they have a junior C+ overall as the best option in this room1They picked up a 3 star this cycle to sit 2 years and then take overC
QBBPlawecki is very clearly the guy, and he has the tools to be successful as an A- field general junior. While he is pretty much the unquestioned starter the next 2 years, let's see who future replacement options could be. Last year they added 2 bad 2-stars (not it)1They did pick up a B- potential 3 star who could be serviceale in the future, but again, no sure fire successor in the roomC
RBBA loaded room, thehy have 3 B/B+ seniors this year, another B+ junior, and a B- RS Soph. That is a ton of options, not even including last years 2 redshirted 3 stars who will get to at least that B+ overall when they'll be counted on. Good stuff2They added some high potential 3 and 2 stars here, so the room has plenty of room to develop over the next few yearsC+
SSC+Good shape here just like FS, they have a 3 star each year, and last years signee had A- potential so they may even ramp up over time. Solid group1A bit of a drop with a B- potential 2 star this year. It's still fine as a one-off if they don't make a habit of itC-
TEC+Only one good rostered player, the 4 star A-/A potential junior is a straight stud. but they are very lacking in depth options and can barely run a 2TE set1Danggg best signee of the class in Habib, a 5-star receiving phenom from California. He will be an incredible pass-catching threat for the irish for years to come. This only doesn't get an A because I think they needed to sign 2 playersA-
WRBThey have a couple of A/A- players here including 5 star Junior Gaudin. Last year was a step down with a pair of mid 2 stars though. Overall an incredible pass catching group for this year2They picked the recruiting back up with a 4 star B overall and a good potential 3. WR is very, very well stocked for themB-

Overall, this class was ok. They had a lot of good hits, and some solid floor raising groups. Honestly I am still shook from them signing 7 1-stars from Alaska this cycle. That is just unexplainable to me, and i'd like to hear the justification for that move. If they had signed 7 regular 3 star / high potential 2s instead, I think this would have been a top-20 class with a high floor and flexibility. Now they're going to have to do damage control in a few rooms

Class Grade: C+

:turtle:

University of Maryland

Big Ten Conference

2022: 5-7 (3-6)

Recruiting Class Basics:

UMD signed 2 4-stars, 7 3-stars, 3 2-stars, and 13 1-stars. They signed 15 players with B or higher potential and 0 players with B overalls. Rankings info below:

Average Rank: 122.5

Signees below:

NameStarsOvrPotPosArchetypeCityState
Vernon Meade3CC+CBMan CoverageSandy SpringMD
James Lanning2CC+CBBall HawkPrince FrederickMD
Peter Weinstein1DA-CBZone CoveragePotomacMD
Victor Walker1DADERun StopperFalmouthVA
Anthony Williams4C+C+DTPass RusherLeonardtownMD
Earl Hubbard2DA-DTNose TackleSandy SpringMD
Thomas Taleb1DB+FBBlockingCulpeperVA
Chang Nguyen1DB-FSZone CoverageOlneyMD
Larry Muhammad4CCILBCoveragePotomacMD
Anthony Boness3CC+ILBField GeneralChesapeakeVA
Richard Baker3CBILBCoverageBrunswickMD
Charles Martin2CB+OGBalancedWashingtonMD
Arthur Ford1DAOGRun BlockingKings MountainNC
Jeremy Wilson3CB-OLBPass RushOxon HillMD
Kevin Hanson1DA+OTBalancedHyattsvilleMD
Jeffrey Martin1DA+OTPass BlockingFort MeadeMD
James Royer3CCQBField GeneralWalhallaSC
Michael Mcilroy1DA+QBField GeneralBeverly HillsMI
Mike Granger1DB-RBReceivingLusbyMD
Marvin Wagner1DA-RBSpeedBel AirMD
Warren Brinkley1DA-SSZone CoverageWilmingtonDE
Wilson Hirao3DB-TEBlockingDowningtownPA
Charles Cavanaugh3CB+WRPossesionSykesvilleMD
Craig Scofield1DA+WRPossesionAnnapolisMD
Damian Nicholson1DAWRSpeedWalkersvilleMD

PosGradeCurrent Status# SignedCrooting StatusGrade
CC+They have just 2 players: 2-star Juniors, although Eric Williams does have B overall so that's solid0Didn't sign any-
CBC+A solid room here. They have a pair of B+ seniors, a B junior, and a B RS Soph. They also have consistency with man coverage / ball hawks. Didn't sign any last year either3A 3,2,1 star triple from in-state, none of them are fantastic prospects, but as a room they offer some stability after signing no CBs last yearC
DEC+Good seniors, and a solid pair of RS Sophs, again no signees last year so this is a bit thin1Added just one player, an A potential 1-star from VA. Not a great prospect but this wasn't the very biggest need so it's acceptableC-
DTB-Signed a 3 star each of the previous 3 classes and they have progressed pretty well, I actually like this room2One of their two blue chips: Anthony Williams is a pass rusher from MD who will be a threat to start as early as next year. They also added a high potential 2-star to groom which is a good pairing. This room is the best so farB-
FBC-Only one player here, a RS JR C+ overall. Not the most impactful but it is FB so whatever1Added another 1 star B+ potential from VA. Won't help until his senior year thoughD+
FSB-They're in good hands with Mike Knox, a B+ overall RS Soph. He should have 3 years of contributions for them, although they skipped signing one last year1They added a pretty bad 1-star here, but again, they didn't need an instant impact player so it's somewhat forgiveable C-
ILBCPretty mediocre squad here. They have an ok 3-star junior who progressed fairly, but the other junior is mid, and last year's 2 signees also seem pretty far away from contributing.3Wow wow wow, this has like 1/3 of all the impact signees and is a great class. Larry Muhammad is the headliner as their second blue chip signee, but they also took a pair of solid 3-stars as well. They officially upgraded at this room, solid move in the interiorB
KCPretty average players here, neither of them is special and with the RS Soph they have 3 years of ok kicking0Didn't sign any-
OGC+They have an A overall run blocker on one side of the line, and then they also have a pair of B- juniors who can step in and be good next year. They skipped signing any last year though2They added a B+ potential 2 star which is a reasonably good signing, he'll probably become starter quality. I don't think the 1-star will though which is a shameC-
OLBC+Three guys on the roster and all are pretty serviceable, albeit a little old. The juniors will be quite good next season. Again though they didn't sign any last year1They added a B- potential 3 star here which is definitely a solid pickup and answers one of the OLB positions for the future. They still need to get a player for the other one thoughC+
OTB-A pretty good setup here, they have a variety of B overalls from different classes and I think the next 3 years are acceptable even without any signees last year2? they needed to make some pickups here, and they did sign 2 A+ potential players! The problem in my mind is that the 1-stars start with such a low overall that even with a ton of impovement they still won't be able to contribute for yearsC-
PC-One punter, a C overall RS Soph, he isn't that great but it's a low impact position0Didn't sign any-
QBB-Isaiah Lewis returns, the scrambler started for MD last year and still has 2 more years while he is already an A overall player. He is very athletic and more than capable of some big plays. Unfortunately behind him there is absolutely nothing, so UMD has to hope he can stay healthy2Realizing they have no talent in the pipeline, MD signed 2 players: An A+ development 1 star and then a 3 star field general from SC. They aren't the most inspiring pickups, and I'd expect this to be a big recruiting cycle next seasonC
RBC+None of these guys jumps off the page this year, but having 3 junior B overalls certainly gives them options for the next 2 years. They didn't sign anybody last year though2Another pair of good potential 1-stars. They have 2 years to develop but I still don't know about their capabilitiesC-
SSBVernon Mack is a RS Soph who is A- overall already. A solid player, and he should be their guy for these 3 years1They added an A- potential 1 star who at minimum has plenty of time to learn the ropes and improveC-
TEC+They have a pair of pretty solid Juniors here, both blocking and vertical threat, so I'm not too worried at the top end. Depth as always is a concern though1They got a pretty high potential 3 star which is good news for the future, and I think he has the potential to grow into a starterC
WRCThis was a pretty rough spot. They have a B+ senior, and then a B overall RS soph Everybody else is tragically not good, and last year they signed just a single 1 star. They need more good players3They brought in a good potential 3 star from Sykesville who will probably have significant starting roles in his career. They also added 2 high potential 1-stars and who knows how that will turn outC

I had some hesitancy about writing this. I like the Maryland program and coach, but we have some fundamental disagreement about the viability of 1-stars. I think that they just start too low of an overall to climb out of even with sky high potential. The issues are compounded by the fact that last year maryland signed 4 players: 2 3-stars and 2 1-stars. That means that in 2 cycles, Maryland has brought in a combined 14 non-1stars which is just... not enough. I'm worried that the bottom might drop out of the program next year or the year after and it will be a painful climb. This next recruiting cycle is vitally important as they need to sign a full complement of 2/3/4 stars to stem the bleeding and get a stable floor for some of these position groups. Here's hoping they do

Class Grade: C-

• Like 5