Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

The Savage/Koch Decision Looms for Tennessee

Five months ago, it was a windy and chilly day, especially for Lawrenceville, Georgia in November. Mark Koch stands on the Mountain View High School field thinking about his senior year. A remarkable quarterback, he threw for 3,456 yards, 45 touchdowns, and even ran in 5 of his own. Despite his best efforts, Mountain View were soundly defeated by the #3 seed Norcross in the AAAAAAA region playoffs. Another early ending to a very promising season.

A team captain this year, Koch had originally most of his sophomore season until head coach Brian Howard decided to make a change after starting 2-4. From there on, Koch took the reigns and never let go. As the starting quarterback of the Bears, Koch finished his career with a 22-9 record and three straight playoff appearances – the first time since 2018.

1675103856992.thumb.png.8d846e356b40ae908de3bd19fef1bc83.png

Quarterback Mark Koch throws a pass against Dacula in 2022

Koch walks around the field going through the motions of the Norcross game in his head. “[TE/DE Michael] Hill had that out route here. I should have hit him on the left there.” The team captain thinks about a crucial play on third down where his teammate was open, but Koch went for the deep pass.”

“This is what makes Koch so special,” says his head coach, “he has this uncanny ability to not just make great plays on the field, but also replay them in his head afterwards. He always has great insight when we huddle in the film room afterwards.”

Today, Koch is in the gym at Anderson Training Center early on a Friday morning. He’s one of three people here right now. “Yeah, I had to ask Heavy (one of the janitorial staff here) to unlock the doors early,” Koch quips. Just another testament to how hard the talented QB works.

When asked about what he thinks of the QB room and his competition against presumptive starter Brandon Savage, Koch’s eyes open up and he smiles, “I love B. He’s one of the funniest guys in the room, and we all know he’s insanely talented. But, B knows I’m here and I’m ready to compete. I’m going to make sure I Make My Mark here, too.” Koch pulls out his trademarked catch phrase.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former 5-star recruit Brandon Savage walks down the hallway in Perkins Hall and greets a few professors on the way. The sophomore is well-known on and off the field. “Obviously, the NFL is the goal, but I’m here to play school too, right?” he replies to a question about his civil engineering degree aspirations. Like Koch, Savage is also brilliant – no matter if he is under center or taking exams.

The story goes, he was late to practice the night before the team hosted Michigan State in the first round of the playoffs because he was finishing up an exam. When asked why he didn’t ask the professor to postpone the exam, Brandon smiled. “I don’t want to be treated differently. It would be a disservice to my great professors and classmates to take shortcuts in life. I want to be known as Brandon Savage the great quarterback and Brandon Savage the great student.”

1675104001250.thumb.png.757da8484674d02398769df4f0f0c07f.png

Tennessee quarterback Brandon Savage looks for an open receiver against Florida in 2022

Savage, who threw for 3918 yards and 23 touchdowns for the Volunteers last year, says he’s been looking forward to Koch since the day Coach @tsweezy extended him an offer. Coach even pulled him aside one day and explained the situation to him, worried Savage might be upset. Instead, the quarterback’s eyes lit up, “I love the idea coach. I know you’re doing what you think is best for the team, and I’m excited to compete, ready for the challenge.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Volunteers come into the season with sky-high expectations. Despite an earlier-than-hoped for exit at the hands of Western Michigan in the semifinals last year, Tennessee is returning a lot of talent this year and Savage figures to play a huge role in this. Coach @tsweezy has a lot of difficult decisions to make going into the 2023 season, but the biggest will be the one under center. His lips were sealed going into spring practices, but it’s safe to say that the future is bright for the Volunteer offense. Nights in Neyland and Tennessee history awaits.

Edited by subsequent
  • Like 6
  • Love 1