Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

WVU inks 3 signees early in recruiting cycle

smackemz

DM6X3UWVQAADzzN?format=jpg&name=900x900

Coach Smackemz at Big XII media day with Lucas Rowe (left) and Francis Bowie (right)

Morgantown - The West Virginia Mountaineers have announced the commitments of 3 recruits to play basketball in Morgantown next season. The Mountaineers, who are off the a hot start this season, were able to snag two 4* ESPN top 20 recruits, and a 3* in-state recruit. Smackemz was excited about the commits and had this to say about the newcomers: "We have an identity with our basketball team, and I feel these guys will contribute greatly to that identity and towards our quest to winning a National Championship for the great state of West Virginia." The Mountaineers hit the trail early, locking up guys which will allow them to shift their focus fully to a few additional pieces to round out their already stellar class. We were lucky enough to get some insight from the coaches on the commits.

Jay McKenzie - 4*, 6-2 Guard (ESPN #11 Recruit) Richwood, WV

Jay has the potential to be an elite combo guard who can fill it up from behind the arc or run the point and set up the offense for efficient scoring opportunities. He's not just an offensive player, on tape he shows great lateral quickness and instincts on the defensive end of the floor. "We're a defensive minded team, when I saw Jay at camp - he had a stretch where he hit a 3 off the dribble, quickly got into the press and forced a turnover, and hit his man for the easy layup. I knew then this is the type of kid that would fit into the system perfectly" is what Smackemz had to say about Jay. McKenzie is currently averaging 26.3 points per game for the Lumberjacks and could come in next season and make immediate contributions.

Lawrence Elam - 4*, 6-5 Forward (ESPN #17 Recruit) Richmond, VA

When you watch Elam play the first thing that really pops off the tape is his overall athleticism. "Lawrence has the ability to get to the bucket and finish through contact, and he's also got the ability to guard well on the perimeter and block shots" Smackemz said on his radio show. Elam has long arms and quick feet and has shown flashes in his ability to facilitate. He might not be able to come in and start right away, but the other thing that stuck out was his potential to play the point in the 1-3-1 defense. "With Lawrence, we think when we need to switch into the 1-3-1 that he can actually play at the front of it and disrupt the flow of the offense. He's quick and has active hands and shows a knack for getting steals and deflections." Elam is currently averaging 19 points and 12 rebounds for Huguenot High School.

Eric Daus - 3*, 6-0 Guard, Poca, WV

Daus wasn't on the Mountaineers radar, but when Smackemz attended a tournament in Morgantown he immediately noticed the fiery Daus in one of the early games. "I sat down with my coffee for the 8 AM games, and I notice this kid who already has college level scoring ability just going all out every play. I'm talking the kid makes a 3 and immediately takes his guy full court, he was pushing so hard it was unbelievable. I knew he was the perfect fit for us, so I went down and offered him right away." Daus already has a well-rounded offensive game, he can make the 3, he can get to the basket and finish, he can distribute. He puts in the effort on defense, but his size and fundamental issues make it a weak aspect of his game. He's a hard worker though and puts in the time to improve, so there's potential there to become an average defender which will allow him to see the court. Daus will likely red-shirt, but there's definitely potential there for him to be a big contributor to the team down the road.

The Mountaineers are not done on the recruiting trail. Smackemz hopes to sign 2 more players to fill out the class. "We have a couple spots left in the class, so I'm looking to get us at least one guy who can play underneath." Currently the Mountaineers have 3 seniors on the roster, guards Francis Bowie and Michael Palmer, and forward Lucas Rowe. The Mountaineers should expect to see expanded roles from true freshmen Donald Pannell and Rufus Fletcher as well as current redshirt Huey Jett. Either way - the future appears bright in Morgantown.

• Like 6