Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

Meet the Croots: WR John Mendoza - Johns Creek HS (GA)

1669934763610.thumb.png.51b0b4604753cdbbb6a2185f84498a04.png

Metro Atlanta - Georgia in general, really - is a football hotbed, so it isn't unusual to see college scouts flock to the area on Friday nights. But seeing them pack Johns Creek Stadium in the northern suburbs to watch a 2-8 team is. That is unless you also watched the Gladiators this season, specifically #7. There he was against Alpharetta casually burning the cornerback and turning the safety the wrong way on a Sluggo route. A couple of possessions later, he put that poor CB on roller skates trying to react to a sharp comeback route. Then, you completely understood.

Meet Johns Creek receiver John Mendoza, 5-star prospect and one of the best wide receivers in the 2023 cycle.

"Dad's retired Army, so we did a lot of moving around the country while he was in. Midwest, Northeast, West Coast, Texas, Alaska, now Georgia... I've been to literally every part of the US. The only thing that stayed the same from one school to the next was football. It's the one thing that I could continue no matter where I was."

The numbers he's putting up demonstrate that lifelong devotion to football. Mendoza is putting up video-game numbers in Georgia's 6A Region 7: 64 catches for 1,171 yards and 14 touchdowns. But those stats are despite Johns Creek's overall performance; a rash of key injuries - including a sprained wrist knocking Mendoza himself out for a game - led to their miserable record.

Mendoza admits the Gladiators' poor season bothers him. "I want to win. Who doesn't?" he asks. "But the best way for me to help the team is to improve myself. If I can catch one more pass, if I can pick up five extra yards after the catch, if I can block that cornerback better, if I put in five extra minutes in the weight room, that's how I help Johns Creek. I can only control what I can control, you know?"

When told about Mendoza's comments, Johns Creek coach Jacob Saunders shakes his head wryly. "Just like John," he said. "Always focused on the game and how to do more. Like he hasn't been putting out 110% already! If anything, sometimes I have to tell him to not push himself so much. The game John sat out? He came out of the locker room after the rest of the team because he put on his uniform and wanted to play! I had to tell [Johns Creek assistant coach] Dale to hide his helmet to make sure he didn't sneak on the field.

"I tell you, this isn't the season we expected. But I'm glad John's still getting the attention from y'all he deserves."

Like many of the other top recruits, Mendoza doesn't list any particular schools as his favorites. "Yeah, all the moving never really let me build a connection with any particular school," he explained. "All that matters to me is finding a place that lets me be the best football player I can be."

• Like 4

Absolutely no way I'm losing out on this stud of a player. Look at that thumbs up. Exudes confidence.