Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

New Western Michigan Coach Bruce Baguen addresses the media

Jieret

1666288119283.thumb.png.eb3db95ea3a98b6ce7fee4c0417dffc9.png

New Western Michigan coach Bruce Baguen took to the podium for his first press conference since being hired. He replaced mercurial and mysterious coach Rowena D. McBoatyface, who left after one season to travel to Latvia and chase her dreams of becoming the world's best Sklandrausis baker.

Initial questions focused on the Jekyll-and-Hyde nature of WMU's play last year - the sub-.500 record in the regular season and the surprising run in the postseason where the Broncos made it all the way to the NIT finals. Which one was the real Western Michigan, and will Coach Baguen be able to keep the momentum?

"Both. They were both. From where I sat watching, it sure seemed like it took them some time to figure out what kind of game they were comfortable playing. As for keeping things rolling we obviously want to, but I'm gonna keep it real with you - we'll see. Not having Stephen (Bryant) and Irwin (Trimble) around any more is a big hit. I know JoeRo, Matt, and Sonny are ready to step up but they can't do it all by themselves. This is a team game, and we've got some evaluating to do on the rest of the roster."

4-star forwards JoeRo - senior Joesph Romeo (not a typo) - and junior Matthew Powell are the highest-rated players on the roster after Bryant's graduation and Trimble's early declaration to the NBA, but it's senior guard Sonny Snowden who stepped up as the team's vocal leader.

"I can't say enough good things about Sonny," Baguen said, "Whatever positive cliche you can think of, it applies to him. Works hard, gym rat, first to arrive last to leave... it all fits. And JoeRo and Matt have put in the work to meet the expectations of our fans.

"But we know we don't have the most amount of star power according to 24/7 and Rivals," continued the coach, "we don't get the preseason plaudits like Akron and Bowling Green do. But we'll be damned if anyone coming into University Arena will have an easy time of it. We're going to scratch and claw for all 40 minutes - and beyond, if we have to."

Not to say that Coach Baguen wouldn't like to add highly-rated talent, and it doesn't take much to imagine who one of his biggest targets is. Not even a 15-minute drive away from WMU sits Kalamazoo Central High School where the Maroon Giants play - and their star guard Dion Williams.

When asked about Williams, Coach Baguen chuckled. "You know I can't talk about recruiting right now. But any team would be blessed to have a young man like him on their team."

"I can say that, right?" he asked the general room to chuckles. "I'm pretty sure that's a safe statement to make."

Nonetheless more questions about the roster were asked of the new coach, its top-heavy nature chief among them. "Oh, we're aware, all right. Twelve players, four seniors, four juniors," was the reply. "We'll always compete, but our staff and I know we also can't mortgage the future while doing so. It's going to take some time to balance the team the way we need it to be."

Coach Baguen concluded his remarks by announcing the Broncos' open practice dates and plugging fundraisers for the WMU Cheerleading and Band teams.

• Like 7

Press Question of High Importance:

Are there any incentives to donating to WMU Cheerleaders we need to know about?