Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2022] NewSim Feedback

Can we look into buffing scrambler QBs throwing/ nerfing the decreases they get? It’s making it very difficult to play them at their true positions even when on paper they should be good passers.
  • Like 2

Agree with this 100%. It seems that scramblers on average have worse throwing stats, it seems overkill to also tack on a malus on top of that.

In BUF vs DAL the penalty made a 2nd and goal a 2nd a 94 but the yardage didn't change

21741:18BUF236 DALPassQB Yusei Asencio incomplete. Intended for WR Donald Kelly. PENALTY: Neutral Zone Infraction DE Michael Dewitt
21740:57BUF2943 DALPassQB Yusei Asencio complete to WR Richard Martin for 1 yard. Tackled by ILB Steven Othon.

• 3 weeks later...
Request: for progressions, as they currently are based on snaps / game. Can we do snaps / 12 games? Since there's just one bucket for starters it doesn't give extra progression for those players, but it might bump a few younger players into backup status to mimic the young guys on a team getting extra bowl practices.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I like this idea in general. You could spread it across QB archetypes as well. Each qb type could have a scheme they get a small buff in, scheme(s) they are neutral in, and scheme(s) they have a malus in.

For example a scrambler could have something like :

Double Wing option - small buff

Spread Option - Neutral (no buff or malus)

Pro style - small malus

Air raid - bigger malus.

• Like 1

• Sarge pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

image.png.b7a9fbae3d0fac8ff7be221725c25ad6.png

We score to go down 5 with 2:52 left.  There is not a coach in the world that wouldn't go for two here.  If you need me to type up a universal "Go for 2 Matrix" that is pretty vanilla, I certainly can.  Ideally, that matrix is user-defined in the interface as a strategy option.

We also ran the ball an awful lot in 3rd and long situations

Lastly, the punting is still off.  Touchbacks are correctly being placed on the 20, but it is calling a punt from the 45 yard line that results in a touchback a 25-yard punt.  The NET punting average would be 25 yards, but the punt is 45 yards.  Last season, it would credit the punter with like 53 if the ball was kicked 8 yards deep into the endzone, so I can see this was worked on, but it's still not quite right.

Thanks!  Just trying to help make this game perfect ;)

Separately, the bot should ping us when our game is being played.  I did not know that was happening today and happened to just check the discord and saw people talking about SDSU.

To try and sum up some of the discussion from today:

• Concerns about the actual viability of building a team up from scratch
  • High end Recruits not having the level of impact that they can irl (not calling anyone out, but Laakso with Purdue is an example)
  • Potentially having younger recruits have a chance to play up to that senior potential, but not being consistent in that performance

Just worried about the long term side of the game and how croots with progress/start

• Love 1

17 0 2 6:29 Baylor 4 2 38 Wisconsin Run RB Shareece Hinojosa carries for 7 yards. Ran out of bounds. PENALTY: Neutral Zone Infraction DE Jack Koroma
17 0 2 6:09 Baylor 1 5 33 Wisconsin Pass QB Travis Knebel complete to WR Tyler Prochnow for 5 yards. Tackled by SS Cyrus McGrath.

Not sure if this was enforced correctly or not. @Pumphthoughts?

1 hour ago, kwheele said:

17 0 2 6:29 Baylor 4 2 38 Wisconsin Run RB Shareece Hinojosa carries for 7 yards. Ran out of bounds. PENALTY: Neutral Zone Infraction DE Jack Koroma
17 0 2 6:09 Baylor 1 5 33 Wisconsin Pass QB Travis Knebel complete to WR Tyler Prochnow for 5 yards. Tackled by SS Cyrus McGrath.

Not sure if this was enforced correctly or not. @Pumphthoughts?

If the run gave them a 1st down and the defensive foul occurred on the next play, then 1st and 5 is an option.  It would not be an option if the defense was in the neutral zone on the 4th down play itself.  In college football, technically there is no such thing as a Neutral Zone Infraction, that is NFL terminology for when a defender enters the neutral zone, causing a reaction by the offense.  It is a dead ball foul, killing any play.  (Offense does not get a free play from it).  In NCAA, that same action is also dead ball, but it is simply called Defensive Offside, usually announced as "Offside...Defense", same as the live ball variety of the same foul, which occurs when a defender is in the neutral zone and the offensive player does not react.  This is when the offense gets their "free play" - unless the defender is unabated to the quarterback, in which case the play is shut down for the safety of the quarterback.

4 hours ago, PoopyRhinoPickle said:

image.thumb.png.c431004f0e6fc2559090880e512eafeb.png

image.thumb.png.64bfa0e208f968ceb43bafab9f94594a.png

Ole Miss punted twice from within the opponent's 20 yard line

Punt settings were at 30, that might be user error.  

Do want to point out, blocked kicks seem to give kicking team a free punt

image.thumb.png.81b2e4690b4b8eae32ba3a76623056b8.png

On 5/5/2023 at 4:35 PM, Pumph said:

image.png.b7a9fbae3d0fac8ff7be221725c25ad6.png

We score to go down 5 with 2:52 left.  There is not a coach in the world that wouldn't go for two here.  If you need me to type up a universal "Go for 2 Matrix" that is pretty vanilla, I certainly can.  Ideally, that matrix is user-defined in the interface as a strategy option.

We also ran the ball an awful lot in 3rd and long situations

Lastly, the punting is still off.  Touchbacks are correctly being placed on the 20, but it is calling a punt from the 45 yard line that results in a touchback a 25-yard punt.  The NET punting average would be 25 yards, but the punt is 45 yards.  Last season, it would credit the punter with like 53 if the ball was kicked 8 yards deep into the endzone, so I can see this was worked on, but it's still not quite right.

Thanks!  Just trying to help make this game perfect ;)

The issue is not the chart exactly. It's how things happen around the 2 point that would be difficult to implement. Other things took priority.

What offense do you run? Can you give me the % of runs on 3rd and long that you had?

I'll try to look at the punting stuff again.

On 5/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, Pumph said:

Separately, the bot should ping us when our game is being played.  I did not know that was happening today and happened to just check the discord and saw people talking about SDSU.

This is not that simple because the bot is not connected to the database and would be difficult to do that. Not impossible, but quite a lift. Unfortunately for now the onus is on the user to check the timeslots of their games up to a few days in advance to know when their game will probably stream.

20 hours ago, acewulf said:

To try and sum up some of the discussion from today:

• Concerns about the actual viability of building a team up from scratch
  • High end Recruits not having the level of impact that they can irl (not calling anyone out, but Laakso with Purdue is an example)
  • Potentially having younger recruits have a chance to play up to that senior potential, but not being consistent in that performance

Just worried about the long term side of the game and how croots with progress/start

I would caution against making long-term projections about players and their success as younger players based on 1 spring game.

17 hours ago, PoopyRhinoPickle said:

image.thumb.png.50e3584e29d65acf62a0dbbf20fdbeff.png

From the Bowling Green vs Tulsa spring game:

Offensive holding penalty leads to just redoing the play.

I'll check the logic.

14 hours ago, Pumph said:

If the run gave them a 1st down and the defensive foul occurred on the next play, then 1st and 5 is an option.  It would not be an option if the defense was in the neutral zone on the 4th down play itself.  In college football, technically there is no such thing as a Neutral Zone Infraction, that is NFL terminology for when a defender enters the neutral zone, causing a reaction by the offense.  It is a dead ball foul, killing any play.  (Offense does not get a free play from it).  In NCAA, that same action is also dead ball, but it is simply called Defensive Offside, usually announced as "Offside...Defense", same as the live ball variety of the same foul, which occurs when a defender is in the neutral zone and the offensive player does not react.  This is when the offense gets their "free play" - unless the defender is unabated to the quarterback, in which case the play is shut down for the safety of the quarterback.

I think the issue here is that the sim treated it as a dead ball foul, but all of the other evaluations and the result of the play has taken place. Unfortunately the way that things work that probably can't change. What should probably happen is that the sim should just strike that play result and just report the penalty, as it appears the penalty was enforced properly (but should be 1st and 10). That is another lift though because of how the sim logs games.

6 hours ago, PoopyRhinoPickle said:

image.thumb.png.c431004f0e6fc2559090880e512eafeb.png

image.thumb.png.64bfa0e208f968ceb43bafab9f94594a.png

Ole Miss punted twice from within the opponent's 20 yard line

1 hour ago, SlapYourBasil said:

Punt settings were at 30, that might be user error.  

Do want to point out, blocked kicks seem to give kicking team a free punt

image.thumb.png.81b2e4690b4b8eae32ba3a76623056b8.png

This is really weird. I'll look into it.

2 hours ago, Rocketcan said:

I would caution against making long-term projections about players and their success as younger players based on 1 spring game.

this is fair, but at the same time some of the issue is teams like Utah and West Virginia that are still scrapping the bottom of the barrel talent wise even with the level of guys that they have brought in.  (No offense, just using you guys due to discussions)

I bring that up due to impressions that it feels awful to waddle in a team that looks like it will never turn around

Edited by acewulf

image.png.2c91ce88b130b710091d13324f0b2ef5.png

Instead of the interception giving the defense the ball, the offense took a loss of 6 on the play

image.png.c0cd609c31b7bd141fef6e7437ea2f0f.png

For NCAA, this is correct.  For NFL, the ball would be spotted at the spot of the kick, 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  We can certainly live with this, just pointing it out for down the road, perhaps.

I was hoping to get an understanding as to why my team went for it here on 4th and 7.  

My gameplan settings were as follows:

Max FG length - 45

4th and Short - 40

4th and Long - 0

A field goal from the 12 should be what a 32 yarder?  So that setting seems fine, 4th and 7, at least to me, seems like like it would fall into the 4th and long setting which was set to 0. 

I assume the sim has some override logic that kicks in if you're losing at a certain point, but only being down 1 score with 1:50 left in the 3rd I assume we hadn't hit that point either. 

Did my QB just decide to go for it on his own?  

Screenshot_20230512-132505.thumb.png.69a80698cbdd2536154353de689f5b89.png

Edited by smackemz

Also - this interception was not included in the box score.  Assuming it's due to the declined penalty. 

Screenshot_20230512-145557.png

image.thumb.png.ca33ef7dff0070b45fbe161cfacc2aeb.png

image.thumb.png.179bd078f5be8a47109b9d7ba1fa53cb.png

Not sure if this could be an issue for like last second TD at end of halves or not, but it seems that if a TD occurs at the end of the quarter, the extra point is taken as an untimed down at the end of the quarter the TD was scored in.

However, the box score does not reflect that.

I think we may just need more insight on why we go for it on fourth down sometimes. I intentionally try to not go for it on 4th down, but near the end of the game, my team seemingly inexplicably went for it on 4th and 6 down 13-14 at the opposing 12 yard line instead of kicking the field goal.

image.png.fd9f155b81249d086393a4d816af7d10.png

1 hour ago, SageBow said:

I think we may just need more insight on why we go for it on fourth down sometimes. I intentionally try to not go for it on 4th down, but near the end of the game, my team seemingly inexplicably went for it on 4th and 6 down 13-14 at the opposing 12 yard line instead of kicking the field goal.

image.png.fd9f155b81249d086393a4d816af7d10.png

This is not due to anything deeper than an issue with the go-for-it logic not working as intended. It's a tangled mess so there was bound to be problems, frankly. I have already made a tweak in a test build.

• Like 1

0 14 2 0:36 Minnesota 4 4 15 Kansas City Punt P Anthony Upton punts for -5 yards. Touchback.

Confused why we punted it here instead of kicking the FG or going for it. 

55 minutes ago, Bundy said:
0 14 2 0:36 Minnesota 4 4 15 Kansas City Punt P Anthony Upton punts for -5 yards. Touchback.

Confused why we punted it here instead of kicking the FG or going for it. 

https://discord.com/channels/586207409681334522/860577445198430238/1107454399434989739

Also, this has been addressed here: