Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

SimNBA Rookie Recap

Well we made it to the end of the season and with that comes the final rookie recap for this year. This recap is a dive into the stats of every rookie drafted in the inaugural SimNBA draft and for the rookies that did not play enough to be evaluated fairly we took a look at their position on the depth chart and their possible career outlook. I would like to thank @Wahoo for helping format the stats and writing reports on all rookies that did not receive playing time. With that being said lets get into the reports.

Tables show regular season stats, along with the ranking among the 44 rookies who received playing time this season.

1. PF Roger Stewart 6-8 22/0 [Tulane]

PointsReboundsAssistsStealsBlocksFG%3P%FT%
10.68.62.51.41.652.3%28.9%64.5%
16th2nd11th6th5th31st37th40th

Roger Stewart played 40 minutes a game and while he was not the best rookie he had a great season. His 8.6 rebounds per game, 1.4 steals per game, and 1.6 blocks per game shows that he is one of the best rookie defenders in the league. This plus his 10.6 points per game and 2.5 assist per game helped give the Washington Wizards the extra boost they needed to sneak into the playoffs. Stewart even has the ability to show up in big games getting a 17 point, 11 rebound double double in the final game of the season to help his team win against the Memphis Grizzlies which broke the tie they had in the standings giving the Wizards a spot in the playoffs. I certainly had higher expectations for Roger Stewart but he had a great rookie season being a great role player and I look forward to his future in the league.

2. SF Raymond Rivera 6-5 22/0 [Tennessee]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Raymond Rivera finds himself in a terrible situation picked #2 overall and he didn't touch the court in his rookie season. Behind a great SF and a good SF in Philip Washington and Jose Turner. Phillip Washington is on the last year of his deal and the Lakers will definitely try to re-sign him but after a disappointing season who knows. Either way Rivera will have to beat out 28 year old Jose Turner to be the backup SF or maybe even to start at either the 3 or the 4. I would personally move Washington to the 4 since he has an extra 3 inches on both Washington and Rivera. Then Washington and Rivera will compete for the starting spot with the loser backing up at the 3 and maybe even the 4 if you need the extra help. I can't wait to see what Rivera has to offer and since he hasn't played he still has rookie eligibility and is the current favorite for the 2023 SIMNBA Rookie Of The Year.

3. SG Benjamin Morris 6-3 22/0 [south Dakota St.]

14.43.83.21.80.553.5%26.3%78.5%
12th15th7th1st17th27th42nd33rd

Benjamin Morris was selected 3rd overall and even though he was deep on the Timberwolves depth chart he was able to get 37.8 minutes per game. Morris put up some solid numbers and showed that he is a great defensive player with 1.8 steals per game. Morris, being on a team with elite talent at his position did exactly what he needed to do, picking up scoring when he needed to and getting the ball to his teammates and letting them score. Morris needs to work on his 3 ball ranking 3rd worst among all rookies in 3P% and he could work to improve his FG% as well. Morris is a great player that might be able to be the centerpiece of a team one day but for now he is showing that he will do anything he can to help the team.

4. PF Jose Foster 6-5 22/0 [sMU]

22.17.92.00.91.058.7%42.1%86.7%
2nd4th18th12th9th9th7th13th

Jose Foster slotted right into the Knicks roster becoming their starting PF and proceeded to take over the team. Scoring 22.1 points per game and being a monster on the glass with 7.9 rebounds per game he showed that he can take over the team. What is even scarier is he will be the 3rd option on this team that had already gone far in the playoffs. Foster shot lights out and is showing no weakness in his game. Jose Foster and the Knicks will be very dangerous for years to come and I can't wait to see how this team builds on their success from last year but one thing we know for sure is that the East is starting to get pretty crowded at the top.

5. PG Francis Doyle 6-2 22/0 [saint Mary's]

3.20.30.80.10.054.8%36.4%84.6%
41st42nd34th42nd43rd21st23rd19th

Francis Doyle was selected 5th overall and has great promise but on a team like the Bucks with 2 great guards Doyle had trouble finding minutes averaging just 4 minutes per game. Just by looking at his stats he looks like a bust but these numbers are not bad when you consider the fact that he only played 4 minutes per game. We don't have a big enough sample size to evaluate Doyle but with SG Wayne Smith on the last year of his contract he could be a part of the starting rotation next year and I can't wait to see what he's got.

6. SF Moises Farr 6-7 22/0 [Portland]

12.86.42.31.50.956.1%41.0%92.2%
13th6th15th5th12th16th12th3rd

Moises Farr showed great promise in his first season putting up great numbers across the board on great efficiency. While the Thunder missed the playoffs this past season I can see them making huge improvements after this first year. Farr showed that he can make an impact on this team and should improve his game going into next season. The Thunder could really turn this ship around if they address their 2 holes which are SG and C. My solution to this is to move Derrick Pearson the backup PG to SG and Dominick Lawson the backup PF to C. This would make this team significantly better and really round out the roster. If not, give them bigger roles than just 10 minutes a game each. This would benefit the team greatly and even help Farr. Moises Farr while not being a playmaker primarily he averaged 3.6 assist per game in college with significantly worse teammates. This small change could help Farr develop more as a playmaker and round out his game even more. Also giving Farr more time with Lawson would help Farr take advantage of Lawson's great playmaking ability which is not being utilized because of his low amount of playing time. This would help Farr develop more as a scorer and spending time with the backups could prepare him to eventually take over the team's scoring. Farr is a great player who can create for himself and I would love to see him given the chance to develop more as a playmaker.

7. PF Harold Walker 6-6 22/0 [New Mexico]

8.15.71.91.01.053.9%35.2%73.0%
25th8th19th9th8th26th28th35th

Harold Walker had a really good season even though he didn't score that much. Walker is on the Detroit Pistons who have so much talent that it is hard for a rookie like Walker to get many touches. Despite this Walker found ways to impact the game and help his team out by grabbing rebounds and playing great defense. I love this because it feels like in today's NBA great defense is overshadowed because it is more flashy to score and facilitate the ball. Where some players would struggle Walker embraced his situation and adapted to fit his new role. The Pistons have a nice mix of veterans and young players and should be good for a while. One thing I know for sure is Walker will get his chance to lead this team around a core the same age as him but until then I love seeing him do everything he can to help the team.

8. C Fred Andrews 6-9 20/0 [saint Mary's]

16.88.71.90.72.458.5%44.5%77.6%
10th1st20th21st2nd11th4th34th

Fred Andrews picked at 8th is part of the underrated center class of rookies. While many had their eyes on guards and forwards this draft had a couple of great centers and Andrews is a prime example of that. Grabbing an insane 8.7 rebounds per game while playing great defense with 2.4 blocks per game Andrews showed that he could be a dominant traditional center but also showed that he could be a great stretch 5 shooting 44.5% from 3 on 254 attempts. The Magic were able to make a deep playoff run and with their top players only getting older they will likely look to Andrews' improvement to be the difference maker they need to win the championship next year. This is nothing new for Andrews who played a huge role in Saint Mary’s national championship run and he will definitely be looking to find the same success next year as the Magic are one of the top contenders for a title.

9. SF Jordan Bridges 6-5 22/0 [Memphis]

21.97.32.50.92.155.9%49.4%89.0%
3rd5th12th13th4th17th2nd10th

Jordan Bridges was a good pick for the Boston Celtics who have one of the best backcourts in the league and also one of the worst frontcourts in the league. Bridges had to play like a star to make up for the rest of the frontcourt and that is exactly what he did. Looking at his rookie stats and his college stats side by side it is easy to get them mixed up. Bridges looked like a star in his prime this past season and it's no wonder why he won rookie of the year. I know I have said that I can't wait to see how players develop a lot but it's true every time if these kids keep up their level of play this league is going to get fun fast.

10. SF Ryan Wilson 6-5 22/0 [Georgetown]

8.11.81.50.30.354.0%35.9%89.0%
24th21st24th33rd23rd25th25th9th

Ryan Wilson was the backup SF for the Spurs and was able to provide some offense off the bench. In college he was able to make an impact on the game not just through scoring but also by grabbing rebounds and getting assists. His rebounds and assists have not translated to the NBA which is something that I would like to see him improve on. Wilson put up nearly identical shooting splits to what he did in college so I am sure the Spurs are happy that he has not lost efficiency by moving up to the big leagues. I don't see how Wilson will be able to start behind Fred Philips but I think that he can really grow into a backup role.

12. SF Kevin Diaz 6-6 22/0 [south Dakota St.]

17.15.03.41.20.853.0%34.8%80.0%
7th10th6th8th15th29th29th27th

Kevin Diaz started for the Jazz and put up numbers very similar to what he did in college. If I am the Jazz I am happy because they got just what was advertised. His points went up by a bit and so did his steals and blocks with him getting slightly less rebounds. His assists were down more and in the next season I would really like to see him take advantage of playing with Ed Lowe and Angel Willis. Utah finished with the worst record in the league but with a center I can see Diaz developing more as that third option and really turning this team into a contender.

13. C Roger Turner 6-9 22/0 [uMBC]

10.08.11.40.82.550.8%27.5%79.0%
18th3rd25th19th1st36th38th32nd

Roger Turner who was drafted by the Nuggets had a good first season and was truly dominant on the boards grabbing 8.1 rebounds per game and 2.5 blocks per game. Turner showed that he has what it takes to be a dominant center in this league and will keep improving from here. Turner’s 2 backup centers are both 32 years old which I am sure is some great veteran presence to help the young star grow and develop. What I am most excited about is seeing how dominant he will get paired with Stephen Williams. This is a duo that will be able to lock down the paint against any team and will be fun to watch for a while.

14. SG Darin Bowman 6-4 22/0 [Air Force]

11.61.13.20.90.154.7%40.8%90.0%
15th27th8th10th32nd16th13th8th

Darian Bowman despite being the 3rd best SG on the roster was able to get a good amount of playing time with 20 minutes per game as Ron Schmidt and him split back up PG and SG. This allowed Bowman to get some playing time when he normally wouldn't. Bowman did not disappoint with this opportunity by putting up 11.6 points per game and 3.2 assists. Bowman showed that he could be a great piece off the bench. Bowman going to Air Force showed that he is willing to do whatever it takes to play and this is the type of mentality that teams really love. Worst case scenario Bowman will have no problem finding his way onto teams to play backup. He has talent and when you combine that with his mentality he just becomes an all around better player.

15. SF Dennis Hall 6-6 22/0 [Colorado]

17.04.72.61.60.957.8%43.4%90.5%
8th12th10th3rd13th7th6th7th

Dennis Hall was picked 14th by the Kings and had a really good season putting up lots of points and steals. Hall was also one of the more efficient rookies with really good shooting splits. Hall has a lot more that he can offer but being the weakest player on a great starting lineup he had trouble getting possessions with significantly less than rookies with the same amount of minutes. Hall did not let this get to him though and made the most of every time he got the ball. I can't wait to see Hall grow because he is the one piece on the starting lineup that is not at a playoff level. No doubt as he develops this team of young players and players in their prime will get closer to winning a title.

16. PG Arthur Smith 6-4 22/0 [sMU]

4.50.30.80.20.161.6%41.5%91.7%
36th41st32nd40th36th5th10th4th

Arthur Smith was drafted by the Suns at 15 and only played 4 minutes per game. Smith was very efficient when he shot the ball and showed a big improvement in his 3 point shot from college. Smith showed in college that he can score, rebound, and assist and that he is a very well rounded player. I think in the future Smith could be one of the steals of the draft and he will get a chance to show what he can do soon with the starter at his position, Edward Flores, with only 1 year left on his contract and getting close to retirement at 33 years old. Arthur Smith better start preparing to see a bigger role.

17. SG Martin Bailey 6-4 22/0 [iowa St.]

18.61.84.31.70.462.6%44.0%88.6%
4th20th3rd2nd18th2nd5th11th

Martin Bailey was drafted by the Seattle Supersonics because he showed that he can knock down shots in college and this year in the NBA he did exactly what he was asked to do. Bailey was the second most efficient Rookie only to Ali Bunnell and he put up twice as many shots. Bailey scored but also got the second most steals in the class and third most assists. Bailey is just one of another great players picked outside of the top 10 in what is showing to be a very deep class of rookies. Bailey still has room to grow but should take some time to appreciate having one of the better rookie seasons in the class.

18. PG Thomas Williams 6-2 22/0 [san Diego]

9.31.76.00.90.251.3%39.8%82.0%
20th22nd2nd11th27th34th15th22nd

Thomas Williams played backup for the Clippers this season and while he got a good amount of minutes he was not planned to be a big part of their offense. Williams did what he could to contribute to this team and put up an insane 6 assists per game. What is even crazier is that was only the second most assists per game by a rookie. Williams showed that he does not need to be a focal point to help the team create offense. Williams will probably take over the starting PG spot next season and I can't wait to see him develop as a passer next to Kent Alvarado who is one of the league's better scorers.

19. SF Jesse Rodriguez 6-5 22/0 [Colorado St.]

15.64.82.31.41.054.5%37.0%86.2%
11th11th14th7th11th23rd21st15th

Jesse Rodriguez was picked to play SF for the Heat while they used temporary solutions to fix SG and PF. Rodriguez just needed to be a better than average player but played well above the Heats expectations. Being one of the top 15 rookies in every per game stat Rodriguez had a good rookie season and the Heat will be looking for him to get better as they continue their quest for a championship.

20. PG Ali Bunnell 6-1 21/0 [Louisville]

7.41.14.00.80.263.1%35.8%83.9%
26th28th5th17th28th1st26th20th

Ali Bunnell was picked by the Sea Lions to fill the only hole in their starting lineup PG. Bunnell was not a focal point of the offense and mainly helped facilitate the ball. When Bunnell did shoot he was the most efficient of all the rookies. Bunnell won't be asked to do much for a while as the Sea Lions already have a big three. Bunnell was a great pick for what the Sea Lions needed but I would not hold out for him to be a star.

21. SF Johnny Hall 6-6 22/0 [Colorado]

0.00.50.50.50.00.0%0.0%N/A
44th37th36th23rd41st44th44th

Johnny Hall, one of the 7 Hall brothers, was drafted by the Hawks. This was the first season in any league that he was not on the same team as twin brother Dennis Hall who was picked 14th by the Kings. Hall did not play much, only playing in 2 games for a total of 10 minutes. Hall was great in college but will have to wait to get his shot behind SF’s 28 year old Philip Sanchez and 23 year old Willie Walker. When Hall gets his shot I know he will show why all 7 Hall brothers are playing in the league but until then we will just have to wait.

22. PF Thomas Goodman 6-6 22/0 [uC Irvine]

5.21.60.30.40.357.0%37.3%81.3%
32nd23rd40th29th22nd15th20th24th

Thomas Goodman is the backup PF for the Trailblazers and only played 8 minutes a game this season. Goodman was a great rebounder in college and was also able to get his shots to drop from close range. The Trailblazers have the best frontcourt in the league but he will get his chance soon since the starting PF David Davis is 32 and just played the last season on his contract. Davis was a big scorer and rebounder who was integral to the team's success so Goodman will have some big shoes to fill.

23. C Lawrence Baker 6-10 21/0 [st. Bonaventure]

9.24.31.20.61.352.5%32.6%71.0%
21st13th27th22nd7th33rd34th38th

Lawrence Baker was drafted by the Raptors to be the next center. For now he is developing off the bench and fighting for that starting role. Baker will probably take over the starting spot next year and will be able to show what he is made of. Moving forward I would love to see Baker become more of a dominant force in the paint like he was in college. I know it is a big transition since this league has some talented big men but I feel like he can do it. Baker was ok on the boards this season but has fallen a bit from averaging almost 8 rebounds a game in college. I also think he should be more aggressive finding his shot, he took only 30 more shots in the NBA then he did in college despite playing twice as many games and 159.8 more minutes. You can really see the dip when you look at his shots per game, which I calculated myself. He went from 12.5 shots per game in college to 6.9 in the NBA almost half of what he had in college. I know some of this comes from him not being the first option anymore and I understand that but his aggressiveness is what made him so good in college and what led to him declaring early.

24. SF Stephen Bryant 6-5 22/0 [Western Michigan]

8.83.31.70.80.652.5%40.3%86.6%
23rd17th21st14th16th30th14th14th

Stephen Bryant was drafted to be the starting SF for the Memphis Grizzlies. SF was the only hole on the roster going into the draft. Bryant was able to fill this hole immediately putting up solid numbers for a starter. Bryant was a very middle of the pack player this first season which is what was expected from him. Bryant came in and filled a hole but moving forward I would like to see him utilize the veterans on his team to help improve his play. Playing next to star veteran Marvin Erickson there is a lot that Bryant can learn and incorporate into his game moving forward.

25. C Len Shultz 6-9 21/0 [Tulane]

4.32.40.60.30.848.2%31.8%58.3%
39th19th35th36th14th38th35th41st

Len Shultz was drafted by the Dallas Mavericks and has been playing backup center to Diego Wild. Wild is up for a contract extension and if they don't re-sign backup SF Bret Carman they will easily have the money to bring him back so I would not hold out hope for Shultz to start next year. Although that is not the best for Shultz, it is not terrible, he will have more time to learn under Wild, who will be entering his 8th year in the league, and have more time to develop without the pressure of starting. Shultz did not play great but I will give him a pass for now since he didn't play much and he was coming off the bench.

26. SG Tyrell Wooldridge 6-4 22/0 [south Dakota St.]

17.21.22.90.80.455.8%38.8%90.8%
6th26th9th15th19th19th17th6th

Tyrell Wooldridge was drafted by the New Orleans Pelicans and is the 4th SG on the depth chart. Wooldridge is in a unique position as there are 4 others at his position on this team. Despite this Wooldridge played all but 1 game this season and averaged 30 minutes per game. Obviously this team has a lot of faith in Wooldridge and he did not disappoint them. Wooldridge was one of the best rookies in terms of scoring and showed great promise. He looks like he could start for this team too but their current starter is 23 year old Shawn Parker. While this does not look good starting PG Clark Warner is 32 and there is no clear replacement for him. The most likely solution looks like they will slide Parker or Wooldridge to PG and I can't wait because this will be an exciting duo to watch.

27. PG Devin Houston 6-4 20/0 [st. Bonaventure]

4.70.31.50.30.155.8%32.9%79.4%
34th39th23rd31st35th18th33rd30th

Devin Houston was drafted by the Orlando Magic. The Magic had the best draft in my opinion picking up a stud in Fred Andrews and Devin Houson is someone who I thought was a great under the radar pick. Houston only played 7.3 minutes per game this first season so there is not much to say about his performance but being the backup PG to Bruce Young who is only slightly better I can see him being the backup PG next year. I say backup because the Magic have been playing backup SG Zachary Houston as the starting PG and I do not see that changing until 32 year old starting SG Grady Lyons retires. Luckily for Houston I feel that when that time comes he will be ready to start and I can't wait.

28. SF Ronald Lucas 6-5 22/0 [Purdue]

16.93.72.01.51.055.6%38.1%82.5%
9th16th16th4th10th20th19th21st

Ronald Lucas was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers and is the starting SF. Lucas had a great rookie season putting up almost 17 points per game as a rookie. It is obvious that the Cavaliers see Lucas as someone who was ready for the league since they let him play an insane 40 minutes per game. Lucas showed that he can score but also that he could help out the team's weak front court in the rebounding department with 3.7 rebounds per game. I think the best part of Lucas’ game is his defense coming in with the 4th most steals per game among rookies and 10th most blocks per game among rookies. Lucas showed that he is a great all around player and I can't wait to see him develop these skills more.

29. SG Mark Ross 6-3 22/0 [Kansas]

28.72.44.10.80.358.4%39.2%93.0%
1st18th4th18th21st12th16th2nd

Mark Ross after being involved in the first SIMNBA controversy had something to prove and instead of being part of a championship contender while enjoying the beaches in South Beach he found himself on a team that's motivation to win was questionable at best. Ross decided that if his team was going to lose it was not going to be his fault as he torched the league and led all rookies in points per game with 28.7 which is also the 6th best points per game in the league. The closest thing I could find to a draft steal like this was Kyle Lowery in 2006 where he was picked at 24 overall. The Heat clearly saw something in Ross the Boss that nobody else did but Mark Ross is putting it on full display now. This performance would put him as the 5th best ppg by a rookie in NBA history only behind Wilt Chamberlain, Walt Bellamy, Oscar Robertson and just .1 points behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. With a lottery pick in the next draft and a compensatory pick at the end of the first round the 76ers will look to pair their surprise young star with some additional talent and can quickly turn the tank around and add their name to the list of contenders. Ross has given the 76ers, a franchise looking for a place in the league, hope and I can't wait to see what they do next.

30. SG Victor Adams 6-1 22/0 [Wisconsin]

5.50.51.00.30.159.7%38.6%80.7%
30th36th30th34th34th7th18th25th

Victor Adams was drafted by the Brooklyn Nets and only played 10.1 minutes per game so there is not much to say about his performance. Adams was a BPA pick and he sits behind 30 year old starting SG Blake Knight and 23 year old backup SG Saul Hunter on the depth chart. It doesn't look Adams will get significant playing time outside of backup SF minutes until Knight retires. Adams is a SG who makes the most impact with the ball in his hands. Whether it's knocking down shots or setting up teammates Adams does his best work with the ball. On a team with multiple great players Adams is not a great fit for this offense since the teams big 3 have the ball for the majority of the game. Unfortunately Adams probably wont find any success unless he is traded. With that being said Adams is a great player with great potential and the Nets should be able to find a trade for him if they want. I don't know what Adams' future holds but I hope he gets his shot.

31. PG Rich Velasquez 6-4 22/0 [uC Irvine]

10.43.96.60.80.253.5%34.3%85.2%
17th14th1st16th29th28th31st18th

Rich Velasquez was drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers. The PGs on this team are all young guys who are looking to become the starter. This season Velasquez won the starting spot and played 40 minutes per game. Velasquez made the most out of this opportunity and realized that being the worst starter on the team he made changes to his game. In college he was a good passer but looked to score more. While Velasquez still scored at a decent level this season he made sure to focus on his passing and with 6.6 assists per game he led all rookies in that category. Velasquez's great season facilitating the ball may just secure his spot on this team that may look to make big changes in the offseason.

32. PF Demarcus Haller 6-5 21/0 [Colorado]

6.11.40.30.20.360.2%34.4%85.7%
27th24th40th38th24th6th30th17th

Demarcus Haller was drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves but only played 7.4 minutes per game. Looking at the depth chart Haller will have to wait for his chance as he is behind two PF in their prime in Zachery Durden and Scott Bailey. Haller does not have a clear future on this team and I don't see him ever getting significant minutes in a Timberwolves jersey.

33. SG Frank Ward 6-1 22/0 [st. Bonaventure]

9.51.02.40.40.158.7%41.4%82.0%
19th31st13th26th37th10th11th23rd

Frank Ward was drafted by the Houston Rockets and got to play solid backup minutes with 18 minutes per game. With starting SG Ollie Currier in his prime Ward will have to wait a long time to get a shot at being the starting SG but with starting PG Rusty Mcfall being 32 years old he will probably compete with fellow rookie Darin Quinn for the starting PG spot. He may have a slight advantage since he played this season and they know what he can do to an extent but they might not want to play Ward out of his position as some teams have been reluctant to play players out of position.

34. PG Darin Quinn 6-1 22/0 [Omaha]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Houston has two expiring PG contracts, leaving Quinn as the only rostered PG. The Rockets did not run with a strong PG leader last season, which implies that they could be comfortable giving minutes to a young Quinn in the near future.

35. SF Reid Beltran 6-6 22/0 [West Virginia]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Reid Beltran is competing with 2 older SFs that are not significantly better than him. A good year or two of development in the Pacer’s system and Beltran will be the primary option at SF.

36. PG Earl Diaz 5-11 20/0 [san Diego]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Philadelphia opted to keep a small roster, pushing Diaz onto a 2-way contract. The 76ers do not have a strong group at PG however, but they make up for it at SG. Had SG Mark Ross not turned in a fiery rookie season, Diaz could have been in a position to earn some playing time. But with how it looks now, it will be tough for Diaz to jump up the PG depth AND overcome the Sixers’ strong SGs.

37. C Antione Blythe 6-10 22/0 [Oregon]

5.25.20.40.51.443.0%27.3%57.4%
31st9th37th24th6th41st41st42nd

Antione Blythe was drafted by the San Diego Clippers and played 18 minutes per game as the backup center. Blythe showed that he can be a steal grabbing 5.2 rebounds per game and 1.4 blocks per game with his limited minutes. I am not joking, it's like this kid put magnets in the ball the way he can always find it. Blythe will be looking to improve and potentially steal the starting spot from 23 year old starter Rich Rosenthal and after this past season he has a real argument.

38. SG Shawn Johnson 6-2 22/0 [Georgetown]

12.01.31.30.40.157.3%45.1%79.7%
14th25th26th27th33rd14th3rd28th

Shawn Johnson was drafted by the San Diego Clippers and played 14 minutes per game. After an impressive offseason the Clippers front office decided to give him a shot as the backup over Lance Lyons. Johnson did not disappoint putting up 12 points per game in his limited minutes. Johnson will have to wait to get a shot at starting since the starter Kent Alvarado is 26 and playing great but Johnson will be the backup until Alvarado retires.

39. C Erick Mclaughlin 6-9 21/0 [West Virginia]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Erick Mclaughlin is in a good scenario on the Cavaliers. He is currently behind two aging centers who are not deemed as star-power. Mclaughlin could very well be playing this time next year, and possibly starting the following year if things go well.

40. SF Keith Sanchez 6-7 22/0 [Tennessee]

8.81.00.80.50.250.9%41.8%79.2%
22nd32nd33rd25th25th35th9th31st

Keith Sanchez was drafted by the San Diego Clippers but only played 10 minutes per game. Sanchez is currently behind two players who are older than him and slightly better in Joshua Carter and Jackie Ray. This is not too big of a problem as Sanchez will likely take a jump in the offseason and surpass both of them. I would not be surprised to see Sanchez starting next season.

41. PF Steve Henderson 6-6 22/0 [Wisconsin]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Steve Henderson received the unfortunate situation of being drafted onto the same team as Jose Foster. Foster had a remarkable rookie season, so Henderson will never be the star of this team. That being said, Henderson could definitely earn backup minutes if his offseason goes well.

42. PG Ronald Hill 5-11 22/0 [Kansas]

5.90.32.00.30.059.4%49.6%96.3%
28th43rd17th35th39th8th1st1st

Ronald Hill was drafted by the San Diego Clippers but only played 7.5 minutes per game. Hill doesn't have the best chance of starting for this team since he is behind fellow rookie Thomas Williams but since starter Roger Hoffman is 29 with 1 year left on his contract he could be the primary backup in a couple of seasons. With his limited time Hill was the best free throw and 3 point shooter across all rookies in terms of percentage missing just 1 of his 27 free throws and shooting nearly 50 percent on 115 3 pointers.

43. PG Lynwood Funk 6-4 22/0 [Wichita St.]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Lynwood Funk could be a serviceable backup on another team, but the fear is that he may have already approached his ceiling. In guard-focused Memphis, it is unlikely that he will ever be enough.

44. SG Edgar Hardy 6-4 21/0 [Washington St.]

5.70.60.30.40.062.4%42.0%85.7%
29th35th38th28th42nd3rd8th16th

Edgar Hardy was drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves but only played 8.8 minutes per game. Hardy will never get a chance to start since the Timberwolves also drafted Benjamin Morris this year but could become the backup next year as 29 year old Randall Chavez is on an expiring contract and they could let him walk to make a splash in free agency for a new center.

45. SG Willie Foster 6-1 22/0 [Washington St.]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Portland has an astounding 5 SGs on their roster, and Foster is not one of the strongest. Portland seems to be hoping that one of their development pieces will play out favorably, and Foster will have some work to do to earn playing time.

46. SG Scot Wilde 6-3 20/0 [south Dakota St.]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Scot Wilde is another among the bunch of Portland’s 5 SGs. However, the Trailblazers opted to keep Wilde on the main roster instead of a 2-way or G-League contract. That shows that they are committed to developing him for the future. He is behind many solid scorers, so it may be a few seasons before he is earning minutes.

47. SG Irwin Trimble 6-3 21/0 [Western Michigan]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Detroit is set at SG for at least another season until Peter Wood’s and Jerry Sanchez’s contracts come up. Trimble is a long-term development piece on this roster and will be for a few seasons.

48. C Jere Winkler 6-9 22/0 [Washington St.]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Jere Winkler won’t be starting anytime soon, but he is certainly learning from one of the best in Harry Alexander. If the Pistons resign Ernest Torres, Winkler likely won’t even see the court for multiple seasons.

49. SF Cleo Clifford 6-6 22/0 [seattle]

4.30.91.00.40.245.5%30.2%66.7%
38th33rd29th30th26th40th36th39th

Cleo Clifford was drafted by the San Diego Clippers but only played 9.5 minutes per game. Unfortunately Clifford will never be the starter behind Keith Sanchez and being the 4th best SF on this team he might not play much for them at all. The team may look to save some money by letting Jackie Ray go this offseason which would move him up but his future on this team does not look bright.

50. PF Gene Cortez 6-6 22/0 [Air Force]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Gene Cortez is nipping the heels of Frank Cortez for backup minutes on Seattle’s roster. I wouldn’t be surprised to be hearing Cortez’s name in 2 seasons, or possibly even one.

51. C Mark Bennett 6-9 22/0 [New Mexico]

17.86.01.10.82.352.2%36.2%80.7%
5th7th28th20th3rd32nd24th26th

Mark Bennett was drafted by the Phoenix Suns and had a great season. He started at center and played 40 minutes per game putting up 17.8 points per game, 5th among rookies, 6 rebounds per game, 7the among rookies, and 2.3 blocks per game, 3rd among rookies. Bennett may be the steal of the draft. I don't know what the Suns are doing but clearly they know how to get the best out of their players. Even looking at his college stats there is no indication that Bennett had this inside him but I just want to say I am in love with this kid and I hope he can keep on this dominance.

52. PF Kenneth Thomas 6-8 22/0 [Purdue]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Thomas is Sacramento’s 3rd string PF. There doesn’t appear to be an immediate path to playing time, but he could be a serviceable backup in the future.

53. SG Val Spradlin 6-3 22/0 [seattle]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Val Spradlin is deep on the Charlotte roster behind players with multi-year contracts. He will have to ride the bench and learn as much as he can as he waits for an opportunity in the future.

54. PG Johnathan Sullivan 6-0 21/0 [Memphis]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Sullivan claimed the 3rd PG spot on the Denver Nuggets. Denver will have to choose whether to re-sign Frank Evans, and it may be tempting to instead ride young Jonathan Sullivan on a cheap rookie contract and try to improve elsewhere instead.

55. SG Andy Rhodes 5-11 21/0 [Louisville]

4.51.10.90.20.150.0%36.6%90.9%
37th29th31st37th31st37th22nd5th

Andy Rhodes was drafted by the Utah Jazz but he only played 10 minutes per game. Rhodes is not great but with the Jazz’s weak SG room he could look to be the starter next year as starter Melvin Kim is not much better. As an advocate for rookies everywhere I hope the Jazz give this kid a shot at starting and I hope that he can make the most out of it.

56. PG Bernie Bonds 6-4 22/0 [Oregon]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Bonds is 1 of 4 rostered PGs on the Spurs. Phillip Hall is the veteran leader, but Bonds could work his way into playing time if the Spurs do not re-sign Earl Rivera.

57. SF Daniel Martin 6-5 22/0 [Air Force]

2.71.00.00.00.325.0%11.1%50.0%
43rd30th44th44th20th43rd42nd43rd

Despite being the 4th string SF on the Boston Celtics’ roster, Daniel Martin actually got some playing time this year. He only appeared in 3 regular season games for a total of 17 minutes, but he did average 2.7 PPG in the limited minutes. Unfortunately, he shot 1 for 9 from behind the arc, which may have contributed to his benching.

58. PG Jeremy Kelly 6-4 22/0 [Tennessee]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Jeremy Kelly is on a Toronto 2-way contract. The Raptors have 2 solid PGs, but Kelly could compete for a bench spot behind them.

60. PG Rocco Thornhill 5-7 20/0 [Wichita St.]

4.70.21.60.20.162.0%33.3%88.2%
35th44th22nd41st38th4th32nd12th

Rocco Thornhill is the tiny PG drafted by the Vancouver Sea Lions but he only got 6 minutes per game this past season. Thornhill is the 3rd string PG and will probably never pass fellow rookie Ali Bunnell but may have a promising future as his backup if he can put the work in to get better. The current backup is 20 year old Ike Schrader who at 29 may retire soon giving Thornhill a chance within 2 or 3 seasons.

61. SF Anton Thorpe 6-8 22/0 [Florida Gulf Coast]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Anton Thorpe ended up on a Toronto 2-way contract. The good news is that the Raptors only have 1 realistic SF on their roster, so Thorpe is in position to compete for backup minutes.

62. PF Larry Griffin 6-6 22/0 [Colorado St.]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Larry Griffin is wallowing behind three proven players - including two young ones - on the Bucks. It is unlikely he will see any playing time unless he is traded to another team.

63. PG Raleigh Venable 6-3 22/0 [Florida Gulf Coast]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Venable got placed on the Pacer’s 2-way contract. The Pacers are set with Jesus Lloyd leading the team, but their backup is out of contract this offseason. It will be a watching point to see if the Pacers think Venable is good enough to move into a backup role, or if they will make use of their plentiful shooting guards.

64. SF Moses Garcia 6-6 22/0 [Wichita St.]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

There is a path for playing time for Moses in Brooklyn. He is the second string SF, behind Norman Perez. Perez’s contract is up this year, so Brooklyn could take a chance with Moses if he develops well in the offseason.

65. C Ernest Phillips 6-10 22/0 [Oregon]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Ernest Phillips is behind two aging centers on the Lakers’ roster. He is very rough around the edges, and will need to progress well over the next 2 years or the Lakers will be forced to sign a FA center that can be serviceable.

66. PF Frank Patterson 6-6 20/0 [Oregon]

DNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNPDNP

Frank Patterson is behind Roger Stewart and Ryan Washington on the depth chart, so he will be a backup for the foreseeable future. Washington is turning 32 though, so limited playtime as a backup to Roger Stewart could be on the cards if Washington keeps him on the roster.

Edited by kgreene829
  • Like 4

Martin Bailey was drafted by the Suns because he showed that he can knock down shots in college and this year in the NBA he did exactly what he was asked to do. Bailey was the second most efficient Rookie only to Ali Bunnell and he put up twice as many shots. Bailey scored but also got the second most steals in the class and third most assists. Bailey is just one of another great players picked outside of the top 10 in what is showing to be a very deep class of rookies. Bailey still has room to grow but should take some time to appreciate having one of the better rookie seasons in the class.

I think you mean Supersonics???

whoops let me fix that real quick along with a couple formatting issues I worked on this over a couple of months so some of this was done while I was tired if there are any mistakes please let me know so I can fix them. Edited by kgreene829

Might be the best piece of media SIMNBA has seen great job!

My rookie came off the bench as I played with a double PG lineup but sky is the limit such an efficient 3andD wing

• Like 1

Tyrell Wooldridge was drafted by the New Orleans Pelicans and is the 4th SG on the depth chart.

But 1st SG in our hearts.

...should have taken Mark Ross, though.

• 3 weeks later...