Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2022] NFC East Draft Grades

The NFC East teams have gotten together and graded each other's draft from round 1 all the way to round 8! These will be presented in the order they were written.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

58p6tm0b3zr4dsrhevp12uva4.png

Grader: @Rocketcan

Round 1, Pick 11: OLB Mark Soto, UNLV

• Overall: B+
  • Potential: A-
  • The Eagles started off the day with one of the best pass rushers on the board, and the only one taken up until that point. I rated him as #9 on my board, so definitely where I think he should have been taken, if not a good value for him at this spot. With a B+ overall, he figures to be able to start Day 1 opposite OLB Emory Hightower and help cause havoc in opposing backfields with the second-best pass rushing grade in this class (8.90). His A- potential also means he will likely be a staple rushing off of the edge in Philadelphia for a long time.
  • Grade: B+ Good, solid pickup at a position of need in a 3-4 defense that will likely be a franchise player.

Round 2, Pick 22: SS Ryan Reininger, Oklahoma State

• Potential: B+
  • My absolute favorite pick of the entire draft (it’s just sad that it had to be a division rival!). I had him listed as a mid-1st round pick, and the Eagles are able to pick him up late into the 2nd. Best value pick of the draft without question, and at a position of need, no less. Another B+ player which figures to start Day 1 and solidify a secondary that now doesn’t really have that many holes. Potential is solid as well, so he should also be a big contributor to the Philly defense for years to come.
  • Grade: A+ Best pick of the draft for any team.

Round 3, Pick 11: OG David Thomas, Tulsa

• Overall: B-
  • Potential: B-
  • The offensive line for the Eagles had a few spots on the interior that needed to be addressed, and they picked a familiar face to fill one of those holes. While I am not sure he is a day one starter (a B- overall puts him in the 54-55 range for overall), the Eagles might consider starting him for his Pass Blocking grade (second only to Angel Loe for OGs). Despite the excellent pass blocking, running behind him is a different matter as he appeared to struggle in those drills mightily. Thus, I expect him to need a bit of work in an NFL weight room and with the rest of his linemates in order to reach his full potential. My big gripe with this pick is how I had him rated. He wasn’t someone I had him graded in the 4th+ round.
  • Grade: C- Ok pick that filled a need, but docked a bit for being a homer pick and there being better value on the board at the time (in my opinion).

Round 4, Pick 22: DE Jake Moore, North Carolina

• Overall: C+
  • For as much as I disagreed with the value of the previous pick, I agree wholeheartedly with the value of this pick. I had Moore in the 3rd round on my board, so great value there. He has one of the best run stopping grade of any DL in this class. While likely only being a rotational player his first year, with a potential of A-, he should easily make an impact from year 2 onwards on the interior of this Philly 3-4 defense.
  • Grade: B Solid pick at a position of need again.

Round 5, Pick 11: RB Lucas Mihalik, MIchigan State

• Overall: C
  • The Eagles did an excellent job of finding high-potential players throughout the entire draft, and Mihalik is no exception. That is especially important for a player that is likely going to have to let someone else take the majority of the snaps in RB Gregg Lemay (3 year, $18 million). What I do like is the change in style between Lemay and Mihalik with Lemay being Power and Mihalik being Speed. This Thunder and Lightning combination will be very difficult to defend, especially as Mihalik has the speed to take even the tiniest crease the distance. The main key will be seeing how his other skills develop behind an offensive line that is not necessarily geared toward an excellent running game. Again, though, I felt that there was better value left on the board in some situations since he *definitely* won’t be the primary back.
  • Grade: C+ Ok pick for the future, but left other talent on the board and did not fill a position of need.

Round 6, Pick 22: WR Pedro Ekeler, Alabama

• Once again, a high potential guy, once again a guy that will probably not get too many snaps his first season due to the depth in front of him. However, I do think his overall value here is better than the last pick, and even would have been better value were he drafted in the 5th instead. One thing that was interesting about this player was his incredibly high YPC at Alabama. It will be fascinating to see how that translates to the pro game.
  • Grade: B- Decent value and good pick for the future, but will have to fight for playing time going forward.

Round 7, Pick 11: ILB Jake Miranda, Temple

• Potential: B-
  • The local kid gets to stay in Philly. At this point in the draft, you are really just drafting for traits and thinks you think might be useful for the future. In that vein, the Eagles definitely found someone with great traits. Miranda is a blazer with a 4.36 40 yard dash time, and a very good coverage grade for a guy this late. While he still will probably be at the bottom of the depth chart this year, this is a position of need for the Eagles, so it is very possible that he develops into a starter even in year 2.
  • Grade: B: Good pick based on traits and could even contribute as a starter fairly soon.

Round 8, Pick 22: CB Russell Grantham, Syracuse

• Overall: C-
  • To round out the class, the Eagles take a flier on a guy I had rated in the 6th. He also had an excellent zone coverage grade for a guy this late, and based on the reserve CBs that the Eagles have, might even see the field as earlier as year 2 or 3. Solid pick to round out a very good class.
  • Grade: B- Solid pick based on the value and traits.

Total Weighted Draft Grade: B+

NEW YORK GIANTS

80fw425vg3404shgkeonlmsgf.png

Grader: @SageBow

Round 1, Pick 23: SS Matt Bass, Arkansas

• Overall: B
  • Potential: A
  • The last piece of what should be one of the best secondary groups in the country, Bass shone this past senior year and joins Jorge Ramirez to be one of the best 1-2 safety punches in the league. Bass projects more as a box safety and will battle with Abel Ruiz from Day 1 to be the starter.
  • Grade: B I like the player and I like the fit. Not great value, but for this teams needs there weren’t many players left at 23.

Round 2, Pick 10: OT Bruce Allen, North Texas

• Overall: B-
  • One of the few tackles that look like they can start Day 1, Allen should come in Day 1 and battle for one of the book end spots on this team. I think this is one of the Giant’s better selections, and should make this team’s roster better.
  • Grade: A, solid value at a position of need.

Round 3, Pick 23: OT Josh Holloway, AUB

• Potential: A+
  • From the Giant’s best pick to one of their worst. Did not have Holloway as a top 60 player, and thought it was a reach. However, the big bodied Tiger could always prove me wrong with his potential, but he doesn’t come in to help the team year 1 like a different early selection could have.
  • Grade: C, bad value, big reach, should’ve gone elsewhere.

Round 4, Pick 10: WR Adrian Rivera, MTSU

• Rivera, a very solid player, good pick up in Round 4. The Giants needed a lot of receiver help, and they elected for the speedster out of Middle Tennessee. 6’-0”, 187, he has the frame and speed to be something in the future, but he’ll be competing hard in what could be a weak receiver room.
  • Grade: B+ player, but should’ve gone receiver in Round 3.

Round 5, Pick 23: OLB Christian Crosby, Illinois

• Crosby looks to project as a 4-3 OLB, and has the frame and measurables to be something down the road. A little confusing as the Giants seem set up to be a 3-4 defense. Likely a special teamer/package player his first year, the Giants hope that Crosby can develop into a player down the road.
  • Grade: B-, good value, good player, scheme fit questions.

Round 6, Pick 10: ILB Wyatt LaCosse, Ohio State

• Overall: D
  • Did not have a draftable grade for LaCosse. They could’ve landed him in undrafted free agency, as LaCosse was nowhere near mine and many other’s boards. It looks like the Giants are hoping he develops into a future player at the MIKE, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a career practice teamer.
  • Grade: C-. The Giants went for all potential, but I don’t know if LaCosse will ever hit it. Terrible value at this spot.

Round 7, Pick 23: DE Jabari Hunter, New Mexico State

• Big bodied run stuffer from New Mexico State, thought Jabari Hunter was a solid selection that can plug in on packages early. Just brings size, strength, and speed and gives this linemen room more depth.
  • Grade: B, Good player in a spot that makes sense.

Round 8, Pick 10: WR Vance Osemele, Old Dominion

• The last pick is someone very comparable to this team’s 4th rounder. Insane value getting Osemele here, a guy that I had as a 6th rounder. In these later rounds, it’s all about potential and I think he will have a chance to make the field later this year or early next year.
  • Grade: A- great value great potential exactly what you want in a late round pick

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

washington_commanders_logo_helmet_2022_sportslogosnet-9702.png

Grader: @thatfunk

1:13- OT Steven Humphries

• Humphries was, in my opinion, the clear #2 OT and someone I had thought about trading into the top ten to draft. Instead, the Commanders made a couple of different trades that helped them move up to get their guy. Washington has 77 overall Ron Cubbage and 59 overall Willie Petitfrere as their bookends. Humphries comes in and immediately takes a starting spot. This was a fantastic pick. Rating: A

1:20- WR Ray-Ray Thompson

• Their original first round pick also turns out to be a good one. Thompson was a top three Wide Receiver and he ended up the second off the board. This was a great spot to take someone who will help blow the top off of defenses. Another player who will come in and immediately contribute alongside Christopher Richardson. Rating: A-

3:13- DT Michael Fumagalli

• Personally, I don’t love this pick. Washington has a solid starter at DT and Fumigalli isn’t someone who probably would have come in and started immediately anyways. There are some players drafted after this pick, such as C Kyle Dickson, who I think would have been better selections at this point in time. Rating: C-

3:20- QB Brandon Ramirez

• Overall:C
  • Washington has Jan Miles, one of the better Qb’s in the league, so this is a purely developmental pick. I don’t hate this pick as Washington does not have many holes in their roster so a pick like this is ok for this kind of team. But I do feel like there were comparable Qbs they could have selected with their 4th round pick and could have taken an A+ potential player such as CB John Robinson or even other quarterbacks such as Brandon O’Grady or Maurice Andrus. However, this is merely a matter of preference and I can’t knock them for it. Rating: B

4:13- C Quinterrius Parsons

• Potential: A
  • Washington currently has 63 overall Kenneth Eggleston as their starter. Besides the ridiculous name, Eggsy probably just isn’t cut out to be the long term answer at C. Again, while I think the Commanders would have been better off getting Dickson earlier, this is a good value pick here. Rating: B

Overall: Outside of the one bad pick, Washington had probably one of the best drafts overall. They got two of the best players in the draft in Humphries and Thompson and got to build towards their future with Ramirez and Parsons. I hate to say it but the Commanders are going to be one of the top teams for the foreseeable future. Overall Rating :B+/A-

DALLAS COWBOYS

o1wgfvp4km9109vj1p4fkq212.png

Grader: @tsweezy

Overall draft: B-

Dallas came into this draft with the best QB in the league, and a lot of serviceable young talent. Identified needs to me were CB! (Major need, no “starters”), DE (have one young ok speed rusher), ILB (no good starter), OG (have one good young guy currently), RB? (Have one young receiving back, but he’s not so great or with good potential), SS (no good starter)

Everywhere else has a young, above-replacement level player already so this team is very deep, and not too much need for developmental players at other position.

In this draft they nabbed a star CB(great!), a good DE (good!), an OT (maybe they’ll kick one inside? Their current 2 starters are young/prime guys who shouldn’t need replacing for years), and 4 WRs (very confused by this, they have 2 young guys already, and while giving Jessie Noel weapons sounds good, there’s no way they’re giving 6 players worthwhile reps).

This was definitely a tale of two days. First 4 round picks were really solid, I’d give it a B+ and I think it bolstered their squad immensely. Their 3 picks on day 2 were all developmental WRs, which individually weren’t so bad, but collectively I think there had to be some prospect at ILB, OG, RB, or SS somewhere. Also not totally sold on Jon Pinto, but that’s not anything I’d be in arms about. Anyways, I think rocket must be all aboard the BPA train no matter what when there aren’t any impact starters available, which is definitely a viable philosophy, and with the depth of young talent on that team, the next few years could give rise to a strong roster.

Round 1: Pick 15

CB Amara Rodriguez - B+ overall, A+ potential

Grade: A+

Amara was probably my number 1 CB prospect in a deep class. A major position of need for Dallas and they scoop up the number one option without needing to trade up, very good pick.

TRADE!

Dallas traded their 2nd round pick (pick 50), a 6th round, and next years 3rd to move back into the first round at 28

I think this was really good value to trade up this much, and they didn’t give up a whole lot in exchange for another first.

Round 1: Pick 28

DE Michael Dyson - B overall, A potential

Grade: B-

There were at least 8 DEs with B or B- overall and A- and above potential, making this an extremely deep draft class here. Of that group, I think most will be successful, but Dyson was certainly not at the top of the list for us. As a speed rusher, he had the fastest 40 time (4.49) of that group which is a great look, but he was just so-so in drills. With that said, just about all 8 of them are draftable, and considering none had yet been taken I think they could have made another selection here, maybe a running back or someone in the back 7 and grabbed Dyson in the 2nd.

Round 3: Pick 15

WR Steven Labissiere - B- overall, B Potential

Grade: B

I had Steven as one of my tier 2 WR options, and getting him in the 3rd is very good value. I do think Matt Brown was slightly better, but Steven had a great catch rate in college, very good combine drills, and I think will be a starter in the league which is good for a third. Might be a little bit of injury concern, but my overall impression of him was “Overall, I'd say he's going to be a good player, if uninspiring, and if you need a WR, he'll do” . Which is honestly not bad for a potential WR 2 / 3 playing with the best QB in the game.

Round 4: Pick 18

OT Jon Pinto - C+ overall, A potential

Grade: C

At this point, there aren’t really any impact starters left, so I agree with the objective of getting high potential guys who can flash and develop for future seasons. I think Pinto is pretty solid, definitely a run blocking focus though, which does not line up with how Dallas appears to be constructing their offense. I also am not sure where he’ll get reps, unless he’s going to be kicked inside to OG, which they might do.

Round 5: Pick 15

WR Gerald Murphy - C overall, A potential

Grade: B

Another WR, Gerald is a route runner with above average athleticism and speed. I believe he had the highest route running drill performance in the entire combine, which is probably why he gets picked up here. At this point, it’s hard to find guys who don’t have some flaws, so grabbing one with an extreme strength, and good potential to boot is a nice move. I think this is someone who could develop into a great player, although again, the WR is starting to be a bit crowded.

Round 6: Pick 15

CB John Canady - C overall, A potential

Grade: B+

John is a ball hawk with good speed, albeit mediocre coverage skills. He did show out in college though, with 6 interceptions, so again, I like the philosophy of drafting guys who are elite at one thing and shoring up their weaknesses, especially when he has A potential already. John has the capability of playing opposite Amara, and since he’ll likely be targeted a lot, could wind up recording a fair number of takeaways. Good pick up for a 6th rounder.

Round 7: Pick 15

WR Keith Trent Jr. - D overall, A+ potential

Grade: C

Alright, which WRs are going to not see any targets in the next few seasons? Keith did not have much info to go off of. Last season he recorded 2 catches on 6 targets: a 50 yard TD, and a 9 yard reception. No drills or pro day info, Army didn’t really use him in college either. So you have to imagine he got picked as a speed guy with A speed and the rare A+ potential. He does have an F stamina which is a bad look, but he could be another development project for the future, albeit not significantly more exciting than their other WR draftees.

Round 8: Pick 18

WR Doran Mitchell - D overall, B potential

Grade: F

Seriously, are we being punkd? Doran is the 4th WR drafted, on top of the 2 young guys already on the team. A DII player, I have no idea why he excited Dallas. He has no college production or athleticism info, his best grades are B route running and catching, and he doesn’t have sky high potential either. I see absolutely no way he does anything in the league, certainly not on this team where I doubt he even makes the final roster. Sure this is the 8th round, and I’m not going to look at the overall draft board availability, but I refuse to believe there wasn’t a better prospect at a position that could theoretically pan out.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Round 2, Pick 22: SS Ryan Reininger, Oklahoma State

• My absolute favorite pick of the entire draft (it’s just sad that it had to be a division rival!). I had him listed as a mid-1st round pick, and the Eagles are able to pick him up late into the 2nd. Best value pick of the draft without question, and at a position of need, no less. Another B+ player which figures to start Day 1 and solidify a secondary that now doesn’t really have that many holes. Potential is solid as well, so he should also be a big contributor to the Philly defense for years to come.
  • Grade: A+ Best pick of the draft for any team.

Double R will be a stud for a long time!

• Like 2