Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

2023 Affinity Ideas Brainstorming and Feedback

alexfall862

National Exposure Affinity:

The target recruit wants to play for a school that often gets televised games and media coverage.

For a team to acquire the affinity:

- Write at least ten pieces of media, one per week.

- Submit a request for National Exposure affinity and provide links to the relevant posted media of the user's school.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Affinity idea: Elite Recruiter

Sometimes, a school will hire an assistant coach or position coach who is just an exceptional recruiter, He either comes in with a cadre of recruits, has a shoe executive who owes him favors, was a guardian to an elite high school talent, is just a little better at sliding cash beneath a table, whatever it is, it happens. This would be a bonus affinity that would be granted to a randomized few teams each year, that would last for 1 or 2 seasons, then the recruiter moves on (likely is hired away to another school or becomes a head coach in his own right).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Affinity Idea: Regional/conference preference

Looking at close to home, it seems like it's either active or it isn't based on proximity. But someone who wants to stay close-ish to home would be more likely to accept an offer from a geographically closer school, i.e. someone in Florida would be more likely to go to LSU than Arizona, all other factors being equal.

Could be a secondary affinity if close to home is not appealed to otherwise.

I like the idea of affinities based on life on campus (athletic support, party school, student quality of life), but that's hard to determine objectively. If you wanted to go that route, it looks like Niche.com has good running lists based on weighted surveys and other publicly available data. I especially like the idea of best student life, as it seems like a good aggregate score.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Position U Affinity

Teams get a recruiting bonus for producing All Americans at certain positions or consistently sending a specific position to the NFL over a period of time. Recruits at that position take notice of the elite coaching that goes into producing playmakers at that position.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Conference affinity.

This would work similar to the Close to Home affinity. Sometimes recruits want to stay in a certain conference. For example if a recruit has the Big XII affinity. Any school in that conference would get a bonus (matching the close to home affinity bonus).

I like the fact of encouraging media but

Not everyone has the time for that. I barely have time to croot and pop on the site with a newborn and 80-90hr work weeks. Granted, this will calm down in a couple months and I can get back to doing media but it seems like we're just tailoring recruiting to people able to do media. There's already a media bonus in points. We'd be doubling down on that. I feel like we need to choose one or the other.

I should say, I much prefer this idea as opposed to giving bonus total points to teams.

Going Bowling

Recruits are more attracted to teams with sustained success. Teams that have gone to a bowl game in 2+ consecutive seasons are eligible for this affinity.

Difference Maker

Teams that won three games or less for 2+ consecutive seasons are eligible for this affinity. Players want to attend this school to change the culture and turn around the product on the field, later being a historical icon for that school. This would help encourage parity, especially early given RES.

Edited by Sarge
  • Like 4

Honestly, every school should have at least one affinity. I don't have specific ideas, but being disadvantaged against my divisional rivals on the same guys because they might have 3K fewer students just seems off to me.
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

New Affinity: "Bounce-Back"

This affinity only applies to schools that exceeded expectations last season in comparison to the season before. However, it will apply for teams that either:

- get at least 3+ more wins compared to the two seasons.

OR

- Reach a win percentage of .500 or over following a season with a win percentage less than .500 (6 or more wins following a season with less than 6 wins).

For example, a team that went 4-8 in a season that goes 9-3 in the next season will gain this affinity for recruiting to the season after that. A team that goes 7-5 to 8-4 will not gain this affinity.

New Affinity: "Basketball School"

This affinity applies to schools that had recent success in basketball. This will apply to any team that either wins their respective conference's championship, makes it to the NCAA tournament (March Madness), wins the NCAA championship game, and/or has less than 10 losses (overall, not against conference teams).

• Like 1

Maybe an "on the rise affinity" like a program that has been bad but has some really good young players and has a bright future may attract some players so they can be a part of a team that comes out of nowhere

Would the Basketball School affinity apply for CFB teams or for College Basketball?

I don't think we have affinities right now in Basketball. Whether they will be implemented down the line will be a discussion the development team will have near the end of the season

The way to probably do this is to measure the difference in class ranking against player overalls by class year - but it would also generally be replicative and probably just reinforce any on-field bonus that already exists. Interesting idea, though!