Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2022] Generated pool team rankings - The Defensive Line

Welcome back to our ongoing series where we explore how each team did in the NFL's pool selection. Today, we look at the linebackers. But first, let me recap the methodology.

Methodology

Each position is split into three categories:

• Num.
    • Number of players in the position

[*]Avg. OVR

• The average OVR rating for all players in the position

[*]Avg. Starter(s) OVR

• The average OVR rating for the projected starters in the position

To determine who to designate as starters, I went with the top one, two, or three players in that position.

• Top one
    • QB, RB, FB, TE, C, FS, SS, K, P

[*]Top two

• OT, OG, DE, DT, OLB, ILB, CB

[*]Top three

• WR

Later on, we will also see the top teams by average OVR for an entire and starting offense, defense, and special teams as well as the entire team and entire starting team. The starting teams will not be just 11 players as I am going to be relatively formation agnostic. This means the defense will be based on having four players on the line AND four players in your midfield at the same time, if that makes sense.

The Defensive Line

This article will focus on both the Defensive Ends and Defensive Tackles.

1643167602629.png.f3d89106e2b7b542b0ce96cdee98202f.png 1643167678945.png.be1ad95dfc0371b29ea918aed86e4b5b.png

Like in the article on the Linebackers, you can sort of see how some of these teams have considered setting up their defenses. What's interesting to me, though, is that we have so many teams with only three DTs. Perhaps this just means we're going to see a lot of DTs coming off the board earlier in the upcoming draft? Maybe not from the Giants, though. They picked up 5 of them! May be able to say the same for Houston and DEs.

You can tell that teams focused a bit more on the defensive line here. Last year we saw some really frighteningly good running backs and scrambling QBs, so I think teams are trying to figure out how to stop the run early to flip the gamescript.

The first thing that stands out to me is that Atlanta and the New York Jets have an average starter OVR of 79 and 78.5 respectively. It's going to be very interesting... If you recall, Atlanta also has one of the best secondaries out there...

Defensive End

We have THREE defensive ends who are 7th years with 89 OVR... That's incredible. I have to say. They're all... amazing. Let me just list them out to you.

Los Angeles Chargers have Jeremy Pruitt who has 85 agility, 89 football IQ, 91 pass rush, 89 run defense, 92 speed, 93 strength, 92 tackle, and A potential.

San Francisco have Brett Mcphail (who is anything but) with 88 agility, 90 football IQ, 88 pass rush, 89 run defense, 91 speed, 92 strength, 89 tackle, and A potential.

New York Jets have Richard Lucia with 91 agility, 83 football IQ, 88 pass rush, 92 run defense, 90 speed, 92 strength, 90 tackle, and A+ potential.

I really don't think there's much else to say here. Good luck everyone...

Defensive Tackle

We have a bit less talent in the defensive tackle department, but that doesn't mean it's devoid of stars. Most of the guys are quite young, actually.

One of the guys I want to highlight is Tennessee's Robert Miller. This 6th year vet has 83 OVR, 70 agility, 73 football IQ, 71 pass rush, 86 run defense, 97 strength, 87 tackle, and A potential. This nose tackle is going to hold up two, three, maybe four offensive linemen at the same time, giving his tackles and linebackers time to get a big spot in the back field.

I also want to showcase perhaps the future of the league. Pittsburgh's Robert Berry is a 4th year with only 74 OVR, but already has some great attributes. 57 agility, 62 football IQ, 60 pass rush, 80 run defense, 90 strength, 79 tackle, and A+ potential. Berry already has his fundamentals down, and I think with some good coaching, he could be a generational player.

Lots of big men to fill big holes!

Next time, the offensive line.

Edited by subsequent
  • Like 6