Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2022] Generated pool team rankings - The Secondary

Welcome back to our ongoing series where we explore how each team did in the NFL's pool selection. Today, we look at the secondary. But first, let me recap the methodology.

Methodology

Each position is split into three categories:

• Num.
    • Number of players in the position

[*]Avg. OVR

• The average OVR rating for all players in the position

[*]Avg. Starter(s) OVR

• The average OVR rating for the projected starters in the position

To determine who to designate as starters, I went with the top one, two, or three players in that position.

• Top one
    • QB, RB, FB, TE, C, FS, SS, K, P

[*]Top two

• OT, OG, DE, DT, OLB, ILB, CB

[*]Top three

• WR

Later on, we will also see the top teams by average OVR for an entire and starting offense, defense, and special teams as well as the entire team and entire starting team. The starting teams will not be just 11 players as I am going to be relatively formation agnostic. This means the defense will be based on having four players on the line AND four players in your midfield at the same time, if that makes sense.

The Secondary

This article will focus on cornerbacks, free safeties, and strong safeties.

1642616310267.png.bbb7d485c801f3f3e441e5cd46034d48.png 1642616271065.png.31b05569b905f846b67ef4de9a499c2c.png 1642616237225.png.dd5f3721b5f194f71c84c976cc9781de.png

From a first glance, I don't see any one team that majorly focused on this group of positions. Two teams do stand out as consistently being in the top ten or so - WAS and ATL.

Interestingly, it appears the free safety position has the highest concentration of talent with ten 11 teams having an average starter OVR of 69 (nice) or higher and even three in the 80s!

Let's take a look at some of the highest rated players at these positions:

Cornerback

In Philadelphia, we have CB Andrew Kangas. This 29 year old boasts an 85 OVR, A+ potential, 87 agility, 87 catching, 88 zone coverage, 87 man coverage, 86 football IQ, and 90 speed. I would STRONGLY advise teams not throw anywhere near him... Or just run the ball... because playing on the opposite side of the field from him is CB Dustin Phillips, a 30 year old with 76 OVR, 82 agility, 83 zone coverage, 70 man coverage, 78 football IQ, and 87 speed. I think we may have a no-fly zone in Philly...

Staying in the NFC East, the Giants will also be a scary one to throw against. We have a 27 year old CB here by the name of George Kent. He boasts 85 OVR, A potential, 92 agility, 87 zone coverage, 98 man coverage, 82 football IQ, and 96 speed. Kent will follow any receiver to the pits of hell. Let's just say that opposing WRs will probably still be looking over their shoulder two weeks after the game. Just in case.

Free Safety

The Jets have a do-it-all kind of guy here. FS Jarred Stone will terrorize no matter what you throw at him. He has 85 OVR, A+ potential, 88 agility, 67 catching, 90 zone coverage, 85 man coverage, 90 football IQ, 92 speed, and 76 tackle. The only thing maybe holding him back here is his 35 stamina, but hopefully the Jets have him on the Peloton whenever he isn't practicing.

Near the top of the list, I have to shout out a trio of incredible free safeties coming through. Cleveland's Robert Davis (27 yrs old), Atlanta's Timothy Monahan (26 yrs old), and San Francisco's Joshua Johnstone (27 yrs old) will certainly be the future of the league.

Strong Safety

There are some monsters here... and they're all young. No veterans were picked at strong safety. The two 80+ OVR guys are at New England (Johnny Nguyen, 29 yrs old) and Chicago (Calvin Preston, 27 yrs old). Nguyen has 86 OVR, A+ potential, 90 agility, 61 catching, 92 zone coverage, 85 man coverage, 96 football IQ (this man is smart), 85 run defense, 89 speed and 82 tackle. Meanwhile, Preston has 83 OVR, A potential, 95 zone coverage, 78 man coverage, 85 football IQ, 97 speed, 73 tackle.

Lots to digest here!

Next time, the linebackers.

• Like 8