Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

Recruiting Class Grades Batch 6

Woot woot, third to last batch here (unless I get more requests)

@Ewade @VerifiedThing @npklemm

:utahstate:

Utah State University

Mountain West Conference

2021: 7-6 (5-3)

Recruiting Class Basics:

Utah State signed 1 5-star, 5 4-stars, 12 3-stars and 2 1-stars (20 overall croots). They signed 12 players with B or higher potentials. Their total class score was 839 and they finished 35th in the country.

Recruiting Grade: C+

Signees are below:

SchoolIDBaseGuessNameNameStarsPosArchetypeHeightWeightSchoolCityStatePotent.
UTST4563C39KirbyIgwebuike3CBBall Hawk5'10"180TallwoodVirginia BeachVAC+
UTST9263C43DrewAnderson3CBMan Coverage6'0"190Susan MooreBlountsvilleALA-
UTST9783C44DevinSpence3DEBalanced6'2"281River RidgeNew Port RicheyFLA
UTST10623C43HoracioHenry3DEBalanced6'4"270Smoky MountainSylvaNCA-
UTST9453C45TrevonWatt3DTPass Rusher6'3"279San DiegoSan DiegoCAA+
UTST3664C43BusterIrving4FBBalanced6'0"232StockdaleBakersfieldCAB-
UTST4673C41MikeGraham3FSRun Stopper5'11"207Crystal Lake SouthCrystal LakeILB
UTST7783C43AlfonzoJackson3FSRun Stopper5'11"210Jesse CarsonChina GroveNCA-
UTST4913C42RyanMorel3KPower6'1"187Mission ViejoMission ViejoCAB+
UTST4393C42JoelTobin3OGPass Blocking6'3"285West ValleyCottonwoodCAB+
UTST115B51HenryGomes5OLBPass Rush6'4"244Calvary ChristianClearwaterFLC
UTST2754C43LuisHarrison4OTPass Blocking6'4"290FarringtonHonoluluHIB-
UTST28251D35DarylRodriguez1OTRun Blocking6'3"304ProsperProsperTXA+
UTST2204C43JRStephens4QBPocket6'5"221NanakuliWaianaeHIB-
UTST8443C43DeeDe La Rosa3QBPocket6'6"218PebblebrookMabletonGAA-
UTST6223C41WilliamClaggett3RBBalanced5'9"210Salem HillsSalemUTB
UTST1224C43EricHosmer4TEBlocking6'4"260IotaIotaLAB-
UTST2694C42BlakeSu'a-Filo4TEVertical Threat6'2"227ChattoogaSummervilleGAC+
UTST9163C43AdamRamos3WRPossesion6'3"189Florida State UniversityTallahasseeFLA-
UTST27871D30DariusWilliams1WRPossesion6'2"192GrantsvilleGrantsvilleUTB-

Below is a breakdown position-by-position of (from L-R) their current roster, what they did on the trail, and the grade I gave them in recruiting that position.

PositionCurrent position gradeCurrent statusRecruiting statusCrooting Grade
CC+A B overall 3 star as a sophomore is the best in the room atmDidn't sign anyC
CBB-A 3 star B overall sophomore, and a 4 star B from last cycle have this room looking pretty strongSigned a pair of 3's, and an A- potential looks pretty good. Only knock is that he's a man coverage and the rest of the roster is zoneC-
DEB-A 4 star 2 cycles ago, and an A- 3 star last year are solid foundationsSigned a pair of 3's with A- / A potental. Good development prospectsB-
DTC3 stars in the last 2 cycles who are still C's. average overallSigned an A+ 3 star guy, which is really good news for the futureB
FBB-real good 3 stars the last 2 classesSigned a high upside 4 star here, so this fullback room might be one of the best in the countryB
FSB+4 star B overall, B+ potential was signed last year so didn't really need anotherSigned 2 anyways, both developmental 3sC
ILBC+They do have a sophomore A- potential 4 star who looks really good, but besides that, it's just a bunch of average 2s, so another signee could helpDidn't sign anyC-
KFA pair of 1 star D overall C potential kickers is one of the worst rooms in the countrySigned a 3 star B+ guy who actually is probably their best option immediately and will likely continue to improveB-
OGCA bunch of very mediocre 2 and 3 stars that aren't that excitingsigned a 3 star B+ guy, who should develop into a better player than they have here, but isn't going to be impactful for ~2 yearsC
OLBCSame story, very average mix of 2s and 3sBoom, best player in the class with consensus 5 star Henry Gomes out of Florida. Brings an immediate impact as a probably true freshman starter and looks to be a starA
OTCAgain, all average guys, although one sophomore has turned into a B overall already which is good newsSigned a 4 star with B- potential so that probably upgrades one side of the line already. Even if he has A+ potential, I'm not sold on 1 stars basically no matter what, but it is a 1 in 1000 lottery ticket I guessB-
PFWow, just like the kickers, a pair of D overall 1 stars here. Anybody would be better than these chumpsDidn't sign anyF
QBB+They had their "future" guy with Vic telis, a B overall 4 star last cycleSigned a 3 star A- guy to develop, plus JR Stephens, a 4 star B- potential out of hawaii who was invited to the Elite 11, but had a fairly mediocre showing thereB
RBC+A mix of 2s and 3s, but their sophomore Craig De Los Santos has become a B overallSigned a 3 star B potential out of Salem UtahC
SSC-A straight line up of C's, with no high potentials eitherDidn't sign anyC-
TEC-All 2 star underclassmen, so a pretty weak romSigned a pair of 4 stars (including Blake who I'm annoyed I didn't get after messing up my commitment priorities ugh). Both should be solid players, possibly instant starters meaning the room is set for several yearsB+
WRC-2 and 3 stars have this as a weak room as wellSigned a good 3 star A- potential from... Florida State University in tallahassee? Also a 1 star B- who I'm just going to assume is a coaches kidC

I actually think this class looks much better than it's ranking. they clearly went hard for the development prospects and they do have the high potentials to back that up. Punter isn't that important, but they had 5 scholarships left and didn't sign one. Again, it probably gets dinged a little for only signing 20/25 players when they could have added a couple additional lottery ticket developmental players. Still, this class could look pretty strong 3 years down the line

:smu:

Southern Methodist University

American Athletic Conference

2021: 7-6 (4-4)

Recruiting Class Basics:

SMU signed 1 5-star, 4 4-stars, 11 3-stars, 7 2-stars, and 2 1-stars. They signed 12 players with B or higher potentials. Their total class score was 978 and they finished 34th in the country.

Recruiting Grade: C+

Signees are below:

SMU2374B49AustinEscalona4CPass Blocking6'4"276Cardinal MooneySarasotaFLC+
SMU20522D35JamesBrown2CPass Blocking6'3"282VacavilleVacavilleCAA-
SMU4403C39JoshAyala3CBBall Hawk5'11"183Schley CountyEllavilleGAC+
SMU5113C42HayesAdams3DESpeed Rusher6'4"241Houston CountyWarner RobinsGAB+
SMU6753C38RashaadEscobar3DEBalanced6'4"272PlainviewArdmoreOKC
SMU304C39TreySmith-Schuster4DTNose Tackle6'2"307Dixie CountyCross CityFLD+
SMU17502D36Julie'nMantiply2DTBalanced6'4"291MartinArlingtonTXA
SMU17682D32PhillipYoung2DTPass Rusher6'1"289Georgetown PrepNorth BethesdaMDB-
SMU4303C38JamiyusDunning3FBReceiving5'11"231Hilliard BradleyHilliardOHC
SMU5143C38JoeVonleh3FSMan Coverage6'0"199WestwoodFort PierceFLC
SMU11193C39JakeAlcantara3FSMan Coverage6'0"206WicksburgNewtonALC+
SMU23341D34AlexAnthony1KAccuracy6'0"189NederlandNederlandTXA
SMU5463C39ChrisVelasquez3OGPass Blocking6'3"282St. Pius X CatholicAtlantaGAC+
SMU6103C40MichaelLindor3OGBalanced6'5"296BarlowGreshamORB-
SMU205B51LaurentScruggs5OLBPass Rush6'2"246ParkersburgParkersburgWVC
SMU8983C38TroyCrosby3OLBCoverage6'2"234John TylerTylerTXC
SMU22921D34MaurquiceLopez1OTPass Blocking6'3"282Kapa'aKapa'aHIA
SMU6123C41EdwinApke3QBScrambler6'1"219Baker CountyGlen St. MaryFLB
SMU13712D36DanielDeShields2RBBalanced5'8"212WagnerSan AntonioTXA
SMU18132D35DustinNola2RBBalanced5'10"216Cypress FallsHoustonTXA-
SMU17732D36ScottMorgan2SSRun Stopper5'11"207IMG AcademyBradentonFLA
SMU3194C48JulioHearn4TEReceiving6'2"238Kapaun Mt. CarmelWichitaKSA+
SMU3514C44BensonCarradine4WRSpeed6'2"189West MesquiteMesquiteTXB
SMU6243C38CesarPayamps3WRPossesion6'0"188Oaks ChristianWestlake VillageCAC
SMU14232C39CameronHerrera2WRRoute Runner5'10"183GrahamBluefieldVAA-

Below is a breakdown position-by-position of (from L-R) their current roster, what they did on the trail, and the grade I gave them in recruiting that position.

CCSigned a 3 star last cycle, with a pair of 2's before thatAdded a 4 star B overall guy who could probably walk in and start tomorrow. Also a 2 star development guy just in caseB+
CBCA whole bunch of average 2 and 3 stars on roster currentlyAdded another average 3, doesn't move the needle muchC
DECSame story. Lots of average players, nobody in the last 2 classes has hit B overall yetSigned a pair of 3 stars with ok potential grades, but they'll just be guys in the mix for playing time down the lineC
DTC-A bad 2 star last cycle, and mediocre 3 the cycle beforeA 4 star here, even if he's on the lower end, is a dramatic boost to the room. Also added 2 development 2 stars, but I have my doubts that they'll see a lot of playing timeB-
FBDA single guy: Rising senior 2 star who hasn't made huge stridesAdded a 3 star receiving FB who will basicall have the room to himself after next yearC
FSD+Average 2 stars in the last 2 classes: Could do with a starter-quality player this cycleGot 2 options, both average 3 stars. even if they aren't stars, they should contribute more when they developC
ILBC-Lots of 2 stars here, with one 3 star who is still a C overallDidn't sign anyC-
KCHad some high potential 2 stars then last year got an average 3Backsliding a little bit to get the A potential 1 star. A+ is uncapped potential, but A is not quite that, and considering they had the A potential 2 star, I don't think Alex will see the field hereC-
OGCLast 2 classes have still not produced a B overall, although the sophomores still have high potentialsAdding a pair of 3 stars does actually lift the room a little bit hereC
OLBB-A 4 star sophomore and an A- 3 star freshman means this room is one of the best on the roster so farAnd they made it even better with Top-20 player: 5 star Laurent Scruggs. Phenomenal pick up to get the pass rusher out of West virginia, and definitely keeps this room as the jewel of the program. Also got a 3 star coverage guyA
OTBA 4 star each of the last 2 classes, the tackle positions should be set for the near futureAdded a single 1 star A prospect, I'm just not too enamored with themD+
PB+Signed a good potential 4 star last yearDidn't sign anyB
QBB+4 star B overalls in each of the last 2 classes: A scrambler and a balanced player mean SMU's QB competition will be interesting to watchSigned a B potential 3 star as scrambler depthB-
RBB+A lot of slightly above average 3-star optionsNapped a pair of Texas 2's with A and A- potential. One might pan outC-
SSC+3 stars the last 2 cycles who are progressing above average so farAnother A potential 2 star to try and develop for the futureC-
TEB-A 4 star sophomore and some pretty good depth around him, this room is fine so farOne of 3 future superstars from this class: Julio Hearn was HIGHLY sought after and SMU brought him home from kansas. A 4 star with A+ potential, Julio will likely become one of the top receiving threats in the AACA+
WRB-Grabbed a 4 star last cycle, along with other average players around himAdded a 4, 3, and 2 here to pad the ranks, but Benson (4 star) out of Mesquite, TX looks the best considering he has B potentialB

I think this is kind of a lopsided class. The highs are VERY high (Scruggs and Julio), but frankly they come at positions that are already relatively strong, while the weaker positions in this cycle match the weaker positions on roster, so overall the team doesn't see as much improvement as you might expect. I'm also a little down on picking up some of these 1 and 2 stars where I don't expect them to see much time with the players immediately older than them having advantages. I think this class winds up with a couple mega stars, and a few senior breakthroughs, but it is not the deepest class and they still need to form a better base at some positions

:ballstate:

Ball State University

Mid-American Conference

2021: 5-8 (5-4)

Recruiting Class Basics:

Ball State signed 5 4-stars, 12 3-stars, 4 2-stars, and 4 1-stars. They signed 13 players with B or higher potentials. Their total class score was 963 and they finished 39th in the country.

Recruiting Grade: C

Signees are below:

BALL3404C41TommyMurphy4CBMan Coverage5'11"186BadinHamiltonOHC
BALL5753C38DavidThomas3DESpeed Rusher6'5"246ShallowaterShallowaterTXC
BALL11833C41MasonMihalik3DESpeed Rusher6'4"242West DeptfordWestvilleNJB
BALL1054C42CoreyNoteboom4ILBRun Stopper6'2"242MalakoffMalakoffTXC+
BALL1594C38DJSisco4ILBCoverage6'2"225East BayGibsontonFLD
BALL11863C38IanPie3ILBRun Stopper6'2"246AngletonAngletonTXC
BALL13562C34SammyRobinson2ILBField General6'0"233West OttawaHollandMIC
BALL8213C42AustinWilliams3OGRun Blocking6'4"299Catholic of Pointe CoupeeNew RoadsLAB+
BALL5893C38AdamDunn3OLBPass Rush6'4"242AndrewTinley ParkILC
BALL24261D34TommyLatimer1OLBPass Rush6'4"228Sebastian RiverSebastianFLA
BALL1294B47ChadColeman4OTBalanced6'2"294VoorheesGlen GardnerNJC-
BALL4843C41BrettFederowicz3OTPass Blocking6'4"290Champagnat CatholicHialeahFLB
BALL9933C41TaylorNugent3OTRun Blocking6'2"301FranklinFranklinLAB
BALL11233C39FernandoWoods3QBScrambler6'0"223Gilmour AcademyGates MillsOHC+
BALL7493C41DanielLee3RBSpeed5'10"193AthensAthensILB
BALL20062D35ChrisBaggett2RBSpeed5'11"192Norfolk AcademyNorfolkVAA-
BALL24911D34CurtJones1RBReceiving5'10"197Charles D. OwenBlack MountainNCA
BALL5383C38BrandonBochy3SSRun Stopper6'1"210West LaurensDexterGAC
BALL21212D36DarrenWilkins2SSZone Coverage6'0"191SandalwoodJacksonvilleFLA
BALL1204C41RoyceWreh-Wilson4TEVertical Threat6'3"223LincolnGahannaOHC
BALL12343C38CodyByrd3TEBlocking6'6"259South LakeSt. Clair ShoresMIC
BALL10683C44CionelGrinnage3WRRed Zone Threat6'2"234Westminster ChristianHuntsvilleALA
BALL13802C37IbraheimParry2WRPossesion6'3"190BeattyCassopolisMIB
BALL26441D31WilkinHawkins1WRRed Zone Threat6'2"213Sun PrairieSun PrairieWIB
BALL28511D34ZhaireCollins1WRPossesion6'2"188Providence DayCharlotteNCA

CC+Their sophomore 3 star looks like he's been developing nicelyDidn't sign anyC-
CBC+A pair of B overall 3 star underclassmen look pretty solid here for themAdded a 4 star here to push a little more top end talent throughB-
DECSlightly less good 3 stars fill this position room thoughAdded another pair of 3 stars, Mason has the higher potential with a B so he could turn out wellC
DTC+2 above average 3 stars in the last two classes leave a slightly stronger class than average in hereDidn't sign anyC-
FBC-A good rising senior and then a mediocre 2 star freshman currentlyDidn't sign anyC-
FSCA B overall 3 star sophomore is the best guy in this room, luckily they only need one right?Didn't sign anyC-
ILBC+A very good 4 star 2 cycles ago, but a pretty mediocre signing class last yearOne of their 2 home run position groups. Getting a pair of 4 stars is very good here. Also a 3 and 2 star for additional depth (although frankly the average 2 star got way overshadowed and that scholarship could've been better used elsewhere)B+
KCpretty average 3 star signee last yearDidn't sign anyC
OGB-Signed a 4 star B overall last year which is great! One half locked down. Only 2 stars around him thoughAustin Williams is a high upside 3 star who is actually going to be the second best guy on that roster imo and should eventually startC
OLBC-A very weak last 2 classes, with none of the 3 signees looking ready to grab a starting positionGot a 3 star who is an improvement over last year, and then A potential 1 star just in caseC
OTBA better version of the OG room, a high end 4 star last cycle with a well-developing 3 the year before that as the future/current startersThis is the other very good position group this year. Chad Coleman is their best signee (4 star B overall). In addition, they also picked up 2 3 stars with B potentialB+
PC-Their rising senior is the only serviceable player in this room, they need his replacement soonDidn't sign anyC-
QBA-Just signed their QB of the future last year in Scott Romero, a B overall, A potential 4 starAdded a 3 star scrambler just to have another guy in thereB
RBBTheir rising junior receiving back is a very good 4 star, but surrounded by only 2s and could use someone else for power or blocking situations?Added 3 guys: 3-2-1 stars, with B-A--A potentials. One of them should pan out by the time Garett leavesC+
SSC3 stars each of the last 2 cycles, but neither of them have stepped up yetAdded another 3 star and a high potential 2, but neither changes much about the roomC
TEC-Got a pretty good potential 3 star last cycle, with not much around himTheir 3rd best position group, Royce is the last of their 4-star signees and it's a good combo with his vertical threat and 3-star Cody Byrd behind him as the blocker TE in the roomB
WRCAll 3 and 2 stars with no real standouts hereAdded an A potential 3 star guy who is the best pickup, with pretty good upsides from a 2 star and pair of 1sC

Not saying this in a mean way, but this class is extremely, extremely average. I don't think it misses anywhere, every position is somewhat serviceable so there weren't any "misses". But they only had 3 position groups that I can confidently say were wins, and will involve difference makers. If they believe in their programs ability to develop that's fine, but I would say this is a normal group that keeps their team the same level of talent as it was

TeamRecruiting RankRecruiting Class Grade
University of Georgia (UGA)26thB-
University of Houston (Houston)5thA-
University of Virginia (Virginia)13thB
Louisiana State University (LSU)18thB
Washington State University (Washington State)42ndC-
University of New Mexico (UNM)45thC
Pennsylvania State University (Penn State)4thB+
University of North Texas (UNT)19thC+
Baylor University (Baylor)11thB-
Bowling Green State University (BGSU)3rdA-
University of Michigan (Michigan)14thC+
University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV)6thA-
University of Tulsa (Tulsa)17thC+
University of Arkansas (Arkansas)37thC+
University of Missouri (Missouri)8thB+
Texas A&M University (TAMU)2ndA-
University of Tennessee (Brandon Savage)1stA
University of Kentucky (UKEN)9thB+
Purdue University (Purdue)23rdC
Western Michigan University (WMU)33rdC-
Utah State University (Utah State)35thC+
Southern Methodist University (SMU)34thC+
Ball State University (BALL)39thC
University of Minnesota (Minnesota)
University of Nebraska (Nebraska)
University of Utah (Utah)
San Diego State University (SDSU)
United States Naval Academy (NAVY)
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Edited by tsweezy
  • Like 7

It definitely felt towards the end of my recruiting that my class has boom or bust written all over it. I need a lot of guys to hit in order to make it a truly great class but realistically it'll probably just be remembered as the Scruggs/Hearn class and nothing more.

• 3 weeks later...