Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2021] Week 3 - Leaders of the PAC

SageBow

1626394041187.png.4668d60bea614a9302bcec5bc9f69368.png

Welcome back to "Leaders of the PAC", where we will be interviewing various captains of PAC-12 teams and talk about leadership, integrity, and the love of the game. In this episode Sage sat down with Washington State Guard Jonas Skipper.

Sage here sitting with Jonas Skipper, the big offensive lineman for Washington State. Jonas, last year as a Cougar, what does the captain tag mean to you?

Thank you for having me here. I wasn’t anticipating the title; but having my teammates, over some of the more key players, award it to me, it feels different. Captain of the Cougs. I mean, my job is protect Dansby until the play goes into motion. I do my job, the team can make plays. I feel honored that the team sees that.

You’re part of one of the best offensive lines in the nation. How is your relationship with those elite guys in this unit?

We’re all fairly close. Most of us have either started last season or got plenty of playing time, but we’ve all known each other since we got on campus. We lift together, grab food together and hang out together. When it comes to our blocking assignments we know what each guy is supposed to do. We don’t bring each other down when something goes wrong, instead we encourage each other to just try again. Not every play goes as expected, so encouraging one another goes a long way

Coming in you were a well known blue chip recruit with high expectations. Looking back from when you were a freshman at Pullman till now, how would you say you've matured as a leader and as a player?

Washington State isn’t like most schools to be honest. There’s something special about being in Pullman where everyone at the school knows who you are, and cheers you on. Its something that I take to heart; I graduated a big high school that you’d say is a powerhouse from my state, but no one would really see me as an individual; they’d see me as someone that was part of a bigger legacy.

Being at Washington State is humbling in that I can make my own legacy. It’s the reason I signed my letter of intent with such a small school. I try to embrace that with my teammates. There’s plays to be made, games to be won, and I reckon we’re at the cusp of it.

Jonas, these are all great answers. Time for a curveball, is there anything from your playing days that keeps you up at night, and if so how do you overcome it?

Dansby Thomas said that he would buy the entire offensive line 32oz New York steaks if we have a game with zero sacks this season. We’ve come close, especially against West Virginia and Penn State, but it hasn’t happened yet. We’re hoping that this week against Utah, we might get a chance.

All the best of luck in getting some steak! Are there any members of the team you feel is taking your brand of mentorship well?

I’d like to say Matt Jackson. He was redshirted earlier this year; but despite that he’s been very involved in the summer practices. Even though he’s a sophomore, I think he will be able to contribute greatly, especially next season.

Thank you for the time Jonas. Before I go, what does Leadership mean to you? How do you show leadership best?

Leadership to me is arriving at practice first and leaving last. It’s putting all of yourself onto the field for each play. It’s about encouraging others and bringing them up, rather than putting them down. Even if practice doesn’t go well, the play doesn’t go well, or the game doesn’t go well. It’s about being there and supporting your teammates, even if they may be starting over you.

1626394053378.png.082381c8ce6553ebfda69ab151944385.png

Thanks for reading and as always we love your support of the PAC-12 Network. We'll see you next time Where Champions Play, After Dark.

1626394060724.png.8eaf71a38b54549d23ae356bb1c6afd3.png

• Like 1
  • Football 1