Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

[2021] Mock It: The First Ever SimNBA Mock Draft

Because no one else has done it yet. And I get it, y'all are crazy right now with these big trades.

So suppose everyone stopped trading for a moment and the draft was tomorrow. Here is an analysis on where each team would be in regards to their players to pick, and why:

1. Washington Wizards :wizards:

PF Roger Stewart 6-8 22/0 [Tulane] 86 B+

I went back and forth with this pick. Seriously, shooting guard is the Wizard's worst position; but it's not the strongest position in this draft. Even with the Wizards' recent trade for SG Trevor Harman, the shooting guard position is the weakest position for the Wizards in terms of starter, depth, and age of the player. The next best position to invest in terms of value is Power Forward. Henceforth, Roger Stewart. Perhaps one of the best players to play in the college game last season. Top 10 offensive player, and arguably one of the best defensive players on the court. Wizards become dangerous in the paint with this pick.

2. Los Angeles Lakers :lakers:

PF Jose Foster 6-5 22/0 [sMU] 83 C

Lakers lose the sweepstakes for Roger Stewart and immediately fix their depth at Power Forward with Jose Foster. One of the best rebounders and most efficient players last season, Foster is going to open up opportunities for the Lakers by the rim; and if foul play becomes a problem, Lakers fans won't have to worry - Foster placed 4th best efficiency at the Free Throw Line. My only concern with picking Foster is that the Lakers will top-heavy with Power Forwards in terms of starting potential. Todd Harris isn't bad, but I'd expect that with an A potential grade, you'd be making your way up after 5 years in the NBA.

3. Minnesota Timberwolves (from Brooklyn) :timberwolves:

SG Benjamin Morris 6-3 22/0 [south Dakota St.] 82 A

Thanks to Minnesota's blockbuster trade with Brooklyn in Dallas, they're now crowded at the Point Guard position and unfortunately lost the sweepstakes for Roger Stewart and Jose Foster. I personally disagree with trading away Double Casey for this high of a pick; and while the Timberwolves get a starter in Zachery Durden, this is a risky pick. Either way, Center and Shooting Guard are needs for the Wolves; and at this point, this is probably the best pick.

Benjamin Morris has the most upside of the top players remaining; and with the Wolves going for some kind of small ball game, Morris will be able to plug in and be a contributor early for this team. His stats in the college game aren't great, but he was part of the reason why South Dakota ended up making it to the Elite 8. Also, the small irony with Minnow drafting his own player this high. Maybe it was destiny all along?

4. Indiana Pacers :pacers:

SF Raymond Rivera 6-5 22/0 [Tennessee] 84 B-

Indiana has no one at Power Forward, but with plenty of Centers they can perhaps make up for that. For the Pacers, they draft the best player remaining on the board at this time: Raymond Rivera. For Rivera to drop to fourth wouldn't be surprising since the teams ahead are practically set at Small Forward. This pick looks like the Pacers best option, since I don't expect Aubrey Porter to be a starter outright. Rivera was the top scorer last season, especially along the perimeter. I would expect him to work well with Pacers PG Jesus Lloyd as the pacers could use a capable shooter outside of Ron Hawkins. In terms of Defense, Pacers don't have to worry: Rivera made some of the best plays last season in terms of stealing the ball and earning rebounds.

5. Milwaukee Bucks :bucks:

SF Moises Farr 6-7 22/0 [Portland] 81 A-

If we want to look at the Bucks roster, they need a small forward. Badly. With Rivera swiped off the board, the Bucks pick up perhaps the next best player available in Moises Farr. The kid took Portland to the NIT Quarterfinals and was a major reason why Portland managed to stay competitive at all. Bucks immediately solve their hole at SF and find a long-term starter in Farr.

6. Toronto Raptors :raptors:

C Fred Andrews 6-9 20/0 [saint Mary's] 80 B-

Toronto could go small ball with this pick; but in terms of depth, the Raptors take the best Center in the draft: Fred Andrews. One of the best defensemen in the college game last season and a big reason why Saint Mary's won the Natty. Don't expect Andrews to make a splash on the three-point line, but when it comes to the paint, he should feel right at home.

7. Vancouver Sea Lions (GIB LOGO)

PG Francis Doyle 6-2 22/0 [saint Mary's] 82 C

The Sea Lions make a steal in the draft and get a solution to their Point Guard woes in Francis Doyle. Doyle was one of the best playmakers for Saint Marys and it shows: Doyle led the league in assists per game and was 3rd in Points Per Game. Not only to mention, 4th for Field Goal efficiency. Francis should become an immediate starter for the Sea Lions. The biggest question on the player's stock is that his defensive playmaking may be a hindrance. If coach Subsequent can find a way to improve on Doyle's defense, Vancouver could have a dangerous player on their hands.

8. Orlando Magic :magic:

SF Jordan Bridges 6-5 22/0 [Memphis] 80 B-

Honestly, I'm not a fan of this pick for the Magic. Players remaining forwards, which is where the Magic don't have a problem. With Doyle off the board, the Magic miss their chance at landing a long-term starter. The next point guard available is further down the list, and it's someone I wouldn't consider drafting in the top 10. The best thing the Magic do is draft Jordan Bridges. Bridges should be able to plug in as a rotation player, and immediately fixes a depth issue at the Small Forward spot.

9. Boston Celtics :celtics:

PF Harold Walker 6-6 22/0 [New Mexico] 80 B

This team is built for the small ball game, and the Celtics secure add a defensive Power Forward to improve their interior. They could go for a Center, but with this high of a position, I considered it a reach. So, the Celtics instead go with Harold Andrews, who should be a starter for next season.

10. San Antonio Spurs :spurs:

SG Darin Bowman 6-4 22/0 [Air Force] 78 A+

This is a reach but the Spurs don't have a problem at either forward positions or their interior. And while Wayne Brown looks like could be a long-term starter for the Spurs, the organization opts to add a rotation player at the Shooting Guard position. Darin Bowman isn't the flashiest player, but he perhaps has the most upside of all the players currently remaining.

11. Utah Jazz :jazz:

SF Kevin Diaz 6-6 22/0 [south Dakota St.] 80 B

The easiest pick the Jazz can make at this spot. They have no one at Small Forward. Kevin Diaz brings a much-needed playmaking ability to the Jazz's frontcourt and looks to be a versatile player who could mesh well with the Jazz's guards.

12. Denver Nuggets :nuggets:

SF Dennis Hall 6-6 22/0 [Colorado] 79 B-

Colorado immediately upgrades their SF spot with the 2nd best scorer in the college game and is also a homer pick. Dennis Hall should immediately see some minutes this season and brings to the table a much-needed perimeter ability for the Nuggets.

13. Charlotte Hornets :hornets:

SF Ryan Wilson 6-5 22/0 [Georgetown] 78 C+

This draft doesn't bode well for Charlotte but they manage to draft a starter in Ryan Wilson. Wilson was one of the main reasons Georgetown made it to the Elite Eight and made high marks as an offensive playmaker. His defensive skill set is questionable, but the strengths of this Charlotte team could offset this weakness.

14. Sacramento Kings :kings:

SF Johnny Hall 6-6 22/0 [Colorado] 77 B+

Sacramento fixes a notable hole at the small forward spot and acquires one of the best rim attackers in the college game. Johnny Hall is a capable defender and should have no trouble keeping the ball in his hands. Just don't trust him outside the paint.

15. Phoenix Suns :suns:

C Roger Turner 6-9 22/0 [uMBC] 78 B

The Suns already have talent at Guard and Forward; all that's left is finding the right Center. And even at Pick 15, they find it in Roger Turner. What he makes up for in shooting, he brings in his amazing ability to grab rebounds and swipe balls from opposing players. Turner should make an impact for the Suns immediately with this pick.

16. Seattle Supersonics (GIB LOGO)

SG Martin Bailey 6-4 22/0 [iowa St.] 77 A-

Like I would tell y'all why I would make this pick.

17. San Diego Clippers :clippers:

SF Jesse Rodriguez 6-5 22/0 [Colorado St.] 77 B

The Clippers have stated they're aiming for a Rebuild and are willing to trade away Kirk Hines. With that said, they retain this pick and draft Jesse Rodriguez. This pick is mostly as insurance; Rodriguez is a very capable defender, but it's a question on whether the Small Forward can fill in the big shoes Kirk Hines would be leaving. Should a trade happen, that is.

18. Detroit Pistons (from Golden State Warriors) :pistions:

SF Stephen Bryant 6-5 22/0 [Western Michigan] 76 B

19. Detroit Pistons

PF Thomas Goodman 6-6 22/0 [uC Irvine] 76 B-

I'm writing 18 and 19 here since Detroit has back-to-back picks. The Pistons made the right move in getting SF Terry Gonzales as a starter; these two picks primarily add youth and depth to the Piston's two forward positions. From a glance, this is the right move for the Pistons, their draft position isn't the best in regards with their current needs.

20. Atlanta Hawks :hawks:

PG Thomas Williams 6-2 22/0 [san Diego] 77 B+

Atlanta opts for drafting one of the best players available and that is Thomas Williams from San Diego. Williams led San Diego to a miracle run, supported by 3rd best Assists in the League and one of the best defensive hands in the Western division. Drafting Williams brings in Depth for the Hawks. I don't see Williams making an impact immediately but could be a rotation player in a season or two.

21. Portland Trailblazers :trailblazers:

PG Arthur Smith 6-4 22/0 [sMU] 77 A

Portland drafts the 6th man in PG Arthur Smith from SMU at 21. Arthur may not be the best shooter available, but he is very much a capable passer and could be a great long-term investment for the Trailblazers. Expect Smith to compete with starting PG William Henderson during the summer.

22. Brooklyn Nets (from Minnesota) :nets:

C Len Shultz 6-9 21/0 [Tulane] 76 B

I had to rewrite this because it looks like Brooklyn acquires Minnesota's 1st round pick after all. Honestly, the Nets should draft a SF here; but the talent drops badly for this team. I trust Migi that he knows how he's building his team, so it's likely the Nets will find a capable SF if they need one.

With that said, Brooklyn drafts Len Shultz as a backup to C Brad Ryan. And honestly... Shultz excels at the key qualities that Brad Ryan lacks in a center: Interior Presence.

23. Memphis Grizzlies :grizzlies:

C Lawrence Baker 6-10 21/0 [st. Bonaventure] 75 B

The best player available is none other than Center Lawrence Baker. One of the best defensemen in the college game, and one of St. Bonaventure's best playmakers. While it's hard to tell whether Baker's offensive skill set will translate well in the NBA, his defensive skill set is without question. As one of the best stealers and blockers, Memphis drafts a player who could replace the aging backup center Pedro Montgomery

24. New Orleans Pelicans :pelicans:

PG Ali Bunnell 6-1 21/0 [Louisville] 77 C

I completely forgot about this player and as compensation, New Orleans finds a starter in Ali Bunnell. Ali is one of the best 3 point shooters in the Central Conference and earned the accolades of All-Conference player. While some are worried about his work ethic, there's no doubt that Ali can make an immediate impact for a Pelicans team in need of a Point Guard.

25. New York Knicks :knicks:

SG Mark Ross 6-3 22/0 [Kansas] 74 B-

The Knicks draft Mark Ross and immediately find a bench player with an exceptionally amazing ability to shoot the ball. While Kansas did not do well in the season, Ross was the one bright spot of this Jayhawks team. With the Knicks, Ross gets plenty of time to develop behind starter Brent Klein and can work on his meager lack of defense.

26. Miami Heat :heat:

SF Ronald Lucas 6-5 22/0 [Purdue] 73 C

For the Heat, the Small Forward position is their weakest position by far. While an argument can be made for drafting a backup SG here; drafting Ronald Lucas adds at least some depth for the SF spot. Ronald Lucas's hands aren't the best, and neither is his ability to rebound, but his strength in shooting the ball from both the perimeter and the 3pt line is without question. Seriously, Lucas was the 6th best in both Field Goal efficiency and 3pt shooting last season.

27. Cleveland Cavaliers :cavaliers:

SF Reid Beltran 6-6 22/0 [West Virginia] 73 C+

With the guards that Cleveland has, I seriously expect them to play the small ball this season; with that said, the Cavs draft Reid Beltran who becomes the backup to the Heat's newly acquired Philip Sanchez. I don't expect Beltran to have that many minutes at the start of this season, but if things turn out well in the G-League (is that a thing?), Beltran could make a great rotation player.

28. Chicago Bulls :bulls:

PG Darin Quinn 6-1 22/0 [Omaha] 73 C

Point Guard is a position that needs serious consideration for this Bull roster. For a team stacked with big men, the Bulls will need a Point Guard who can help SG Alejandro Sherman move the ball around. Darin Quinn looks like a potential option, so long as perimeter defense can improve. Expect Darin Quinn to challenge Jerry Perry as the starting PG.

29. Oklahoma City Thunder :thunder:

C Erick Mclaughlin 6-9 21/0 [West Virginia] 72 C+

Having one of the last four picks in the first season isn't really much, but the Thunder make up for it by drafting a starting Center with Erick McLaughlin. McLaughlin is an immediate upgrade from Moses Stanley and gives the Thunder another player who adds to this team's crazy ability to make rebounds.

30. Philadelphia 76ers :76ers:

PF Steve Henderson 6-6 22/0 [Wisconsin] 71 B

Like the Thunder, The 76ers need a center. Unfortunately, the next one I doubt is a first-round talent. And since the 76ers have depth at both guard positions, the next bet is to at least add a backup for star PF Victor Garcia.

Garcia has the build of a traditional NBA power-forward in that he has terrific interior presence and should be good around the rim; his flaws only become apparent once he's placed on the perimeter. Not the best spot to start the Process, but Philly at least starts it right with what they have now.

31. Dallas Mavericks :mavericks:

SG Victor Adams 6-1 22/0 [Wisconsin] 74 C+

Perhaps a steal at the end of the 1st Round, but I'd argue it's only the case because of the depth many teams are at Shooting Guard. Victor Adams is a fantastic three-point shooter and is one of the reasons Wisconsin was deadly on offense. Adams is the kind of player who can make plays happen whether the ball is in his hands or not. I would expect Adams to be challenging Mavs SG Jarrett Proctor for the backup SG position.

32. Houston Rockets :rockets:

PG Devin Houston 6-4 20/0 [st. Bonaventure] 73 B

The unintentional meme pick. Houston drafts Devin Houston as the backup for starting point guard Rusty Mcfall. Devin is part of the team who helped the Bonnies on their fantastic Final 4 run in the post-season, and was one of their most reliable shooters. While his skillset will take some time to develop. Devin Houston could be seen as an eventual starter for the Rockets, should Rusty Mcfall "fall" down the depth chart.

There, now I'm done. Please discuss and let me know what you think.

Edited by TuscanSota
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

"I trust Migi that he knows how he's building his team, so it's likely the Nets will find a capable SF if they need one."

Yeah I have different plans and contingencies set up after I knew I was going to have to give up a chunk of my roster to get Casey Casey. Currently my roster has the pieces I need to run the lineups I want, it's just a matter of how I can boost that, and the draft allows me to go in multiple directions to fulfill the needs