Championship on the Line

#1 Baylor and #3 Tennesseee face off this Saturday for the National Championship Game

We're Talkin' Playoffs?

The Titans and the Browns face each other in the Wildcard Round this week

Join Here

Need a team?

Firstly... welcome to the SimFBA! If you are new to the site, and need a team, make sure you head over to the new users section and view the available teams list. You will also be able to fill out your job application there! See you on the field, Coach!

Read more

Basketball Season is Upon Us

Join Here

Engine Feedback - 2021 Scrimmages

Hey, I was asked to post some of my feedback, so I'm taking this opportunity to create a general thread for feedback.

As for my feedback, take into consideration that an air raid team was the core of my team drafting strategy thing way back when. It didn't turn out that great as I think my secondary is way better and neat, but take that all into consideration. Being Mike Leach is my goal.

With all that said, I feel like the passing results have been bouncing back and forth (metaphorically). I changed my gameplan a bit between the first game and the rest, but not anything majorly. The biggest issue I've come with is it just feels like we did terribly or really well. The passing yard totals we've collected have been 482, 445, 490, 263, 247, 146. That averages out to about 340-350, which actually feels really nice and where we would be. But the bouncing back and forth, streakiness aside (I don't think that's a factor, just a coincidence), gives a very swingy experience. I was running 40/40/20 quick/short/long or 35/40/25 after game or two. The point being my goal was to throw a lot of easy, high percentage-low yardage passes to keep my engine running.

Why does my QB run so much? The gameplan doesn't even let me set my QB as a designated runner, so seeing him rattle off sometimes double digit runs is a bit weird.

RB's are insanely dangerous out of the backfield.

• Like 1

Initial thoughts on the games I saw with no changes to my depth chart or gameplan:

• Seems like a lot of plays run in total but I’m not sure I think I’ve had roughly 75-80 snaps a game.
  • Pass completion seems low even though I have decent QB and receiving. Drop rates seem high. May need to target more easy routes.

Really excited about this and looking forward to more games! Want to change some things up in the gameplan and try things again. Thanks @Rocketcan for the special FSU scrimmage it was a great matchup!

• Like 1

I feel like the passing results have been bouncing back and forth (metaphorically)

I think buff QB completion stuff might help a bit with this. I am implementing this now.

Why does my QB run so much? The gameplan doesn't even let me set my QB as a designated runner, so seeing him rattle off sometimes double digit runs is a bit weird.

I know exactly what is happening here. Air Raid currently is the only scheme that has Empty as a formation option, and the sim determines if the play is a run BEFORE determining the formation it is using. The sim sees that the only back in the backfield is the QB, so it gives them the ball. Rather than making sure that the QB can't run in Empty (since eventually Spread Option will get that formation), I will likely make it that all runs from Empty will actually be given to your WR5.

RB's are insanely dangerous out of the backfield.

I thought I fixed this one, to be honest, and I think it might have something to do with how the sim handles uncovered players. I'll give it another look.

• Like 1

• Seems like a lot of plays run in total but I’m not sure I think I’ve had roughly 75-80 snaps a game.

The average plays per game in the NCAA is actually about 75, and the median is pretty close to that as well. Although I think part of the next thing is affecting it.

• Pass completion seems low even though I have decent QB and receiving. Drop rates seem high. May need to target more easy routes.

As I mentioned in the previous comment to Rome's initial thoughts, I will be buffing QB completion numbers. I think part of the problem here is that the clock is stopping constantly thanks to incomplete passes killing good drives and forcing tons of punts. Hopefully this fixes those numbers.

• Like 1

So I'm not sure necessarily what the problem is, but it seems like a lot of QB completion %s are really low. I don't know if it's a product of the scheme I running, the quality of my players, or something else.
  • Like 1

Before that, he had 51%, which isn't good, but about what a below average QB in the NCAA gets. Unfortunately he isn't a top-tier guy, so he isn't going to excel, likely. Remember, he is also balanced, so he isn't a super great passer. Pockets are the best passers, especially on deep passes, followed by Field Generals on quick/short passes. Balanced are kind of tweeners.
  • Like 1

Washington State’s opponents should have their ratings set to 0 before the start of each game.

In all honesty, I think have descriptions on the gameplan on what each slider or option does will help new users with understanding what each part of the gameplan does

• Like 1

I don't have a whole lot right now. After 10 scrims for me I feel pretty good about a lot of what you've implemented.

Tight ends seem kinda hard to figure out? Thru the first 8 games my TE had 31 catches for 123 yards and while my pass type distribution wasn't very long, my other WRs seemed more in line with the norm. And when I changed my gameplan to increase longer pass type distribution it didn't get any better.

Stamina is a little unrealistic when it wants to be. I mentioned it after one game but I have a WR who is A overall but has 1 stamina (6'1'', 196lbs), so during the first 3 games he averaged almost 8 targets a game then in a game he didn't have a single target. Since then (and after a gameplan change) he has followed that with 9, 13, 1 (stamina?), 14, 11, and 10 targets. I'm not sure the best way to realistically implement stamina in a sim tbh (maybe a minor injury feature?) but to effectively nullify a player for an entire game seems harsh just cuz they like the dank kush in the offseason.

Sacks seem a little low. This might be a complete figment of my imagination and it's completely in line with the norm but I've played 10 games now and after those 10, 14 out of the 20 teams haven't had a sack in the game (weird math there sorry).

Punters seem OP. I just looked thru all my games and basically every punter averages well over 50 yards a punt which seems about 10 yards too many.

These are just what I've noticed up to this point. I've only run 2 gameplans so I'm not too in touch with a lot of the smaller nuances of that aspect. Overall I think you've done great creating a pretty realistic engine up to this point.

• Like 1